You are not logged in.

Wednesday, August 10th 2011, 10:14pm

Crew Estimation

Is it possible to estimate the manning requirement (crew members needed) to properly run an ocean liner?

Just a question because i am working on SS to design an ocean liner and SS gives me an estimation of 2,000+ crew, which is obviously WAY too much and doesn't seem right for an ocean liner.

If there is a way to estimate crew requirements, can someone share that with me, it would be very helpful. Oh, by the way Rooijen10, thanks for letting me in on ocean liner miscallaneous wgt /gross tonnage, that really helped a lot. thank you.

Thursday, August 11th 2011, 4:25pm

Damn! I don't have the spinstyle notes on my laptop!!! (or anything else Spring*). :(

Regarding the misc weight stuff, it is in the notes so for me it was just a matter of copy/paste. The 1st class weights idea seemed obvious when I was looking a bit more into ocean liners.

Regarding the crew, IIRC the notes indicate that it as well as the damage values need to be divided by 10 for non-military vessel. I have looked at it in the past and I was not entirely sure about that as you need more people for the various jobs aboard an ocean liner than aboard a cargo ship. I'm not 100% sure about it, but perhaps something like 25-50% of the value that SS gives.

edit: Two things...
1) IIRC, dividing the damage values by 10 means that you need less than 1 non critical hit torpedo to sink an ocean liner. You probably need a bit more than that.
2) Looking at your sim, the accomodation figures I use are based on those of Titanic. They do not have to apply to other vessels, but since what I foud about Titanic's gave a good idea regarding the rough class ratio as well the the beth division so to me it was good enough to use as a base.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Rooijen10" (Aug 11th 2011, 4:38pm)