You are not logged in.

Friday, August 5th 2011, 3:51am

Chile CVA-21 (medium-sized ,)

Chile CVA-21 medium-sized eject

Hi all

I drawed a fantasied CVA.

~0`~

Friday, August 5th 2011, 4:01am

A lot of design elements here don't really make a lot of sense when kitbashed together, I'm afraid...

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Friday, August 5th 2011, 9:13am

Quoted

Originally posted by Brockpaine
A lot of design elements here don't really make a lot of sense when kitbashed together, I'm afraid...

Please be gentle. This is not a very helpful comment, too, I´m afraid....

I propose to either give a useful feedback, so Hoodkiller can improve his drawing if you feel there is something wrong with it, or to refrain from commenting at all. BUt I´m sure you will be able to give an educated feedback. :o)

Thanks,

HoOmAn

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Friday, August 5th 2011, 10:47am

Hoodkiller,

it´s an impressive drawing. But there are a few things I´d like to comment on.

First, there are some details that do not compare between top view and side view. For example, your top view shows a small gun at a position just behind that big cran while the side view does not represent this gun position. Then there are boats stored abreast her bridge which is not only an odd position on a carrier, but also is not shown on the top view.

It is no surprise these errors are there. It happens with big drawings, but I propose to perform a careful check of these details and modify the drawing accordingly.

Second, I would like to learn about your rational behind her deck layout. I wonder about the double lift forward of the superstructure while there is none on the other side of the flight deck where you might expect one to quickly move planes below deck when they have landed and approx. came to halt somewhere between helipads 2 and 3 (I assume those circles with numbers should represent helipads albeit a bit small).

Third, I´d like to know more about her armament layout. Can you provide some details on number, caliber and mounts of the guns used? Why this layout?

Thanks,

HoOmAn

Friday, August 5th 2011, 9:06pm

Heh, very well. I'll give more input on what I see is wrong.

The pieces come from a number of Shipbucket drawings of rather different eras. For instance, the island comes from the drawing of USS Yorktown, the bow is modified from a 1960s British carrier, and the stern looks very modern and Italian. There are other modern cues as well. With all those era-conflicting parts, it just looks clutzy and awkward to my eyes.

The planes come from the 1940s (including, I notice, one I drew) while the mast radars come from the 1960s. With the 1940s planes, an angled flight deck for recovery and a pair of steam catapults for launch are anachronistic, as the catapults like those shown, and the angled flight deck, originated mainly to launch and recover early jets. The beam in the overhead view is inconsistent and rather wide overall, but particularly forward, where it will either require a very bluff, rounded bow or some different style of arranging the enclosed bow.

There are, further, a number of sections where pieces of the original drawings overlap each other, and this gives it a very awkward appearance.

As I said, while individual pieces make sense in the limited view, taken in the view of the entire ship, they clash and conflict with each other.