You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Tuesday, August 2nd 2011, 10:36pm

Assault Guns

In German service, assault guns (sturmgeschutz) are organised as corps level detachments which may, in turn, be attached to specific divisions for specific operations, rather than being organic elements of any particular division.

The Sturmgeschutz III which is armed with a short 7.5cm howitzer, is the principal vehicle with which such units are equipped.

The tables of organisation for assault gun batteries and detachments are as follows:

Thursday, August 4th 2011, 5:17am

Is that how the Germans employed their assault guns historically, operating at corps level? I was rather curious, as I'm working up to the corps-level stage for the French Army, and hadn't entirely determined how to address that particular quandry myself.

Thursday, August 4th 2011, 12:29pm

Historically the Wehrmacht employed assault guns at several levels. Some favored units - like the Grossdeutchland Regiment - had them as organic elements. Later they were incorporated into panzer divisions as ersatz vehicles. But their principal use was in Sturmgeschutz abteilungen attached to other units.

It's like the US Army's WW2 use of separate tank battalions - they were originally corps and army level support units - but given the number that eventually existed by the end of the war every infantry division seemed to have an attached tank battalion, which after the war became organic.