You are not logged in.

Sunday, July 31st 2011, 5:07am

Exercise Sea Tiger

This thread is set up for the Franco-Thai-Iberian naval exercises announced here. Though we have set up this thread for Mac, Snip and I, please feel free to comment.

Quoted

[SIZE=3]Exercise Forces OOB[/SIZE]
French Squadron - Capitaine de Vaisseau Emile Montrelay (CO Volta, acting commodore)
- CL Volta
- CL Rhin
- DD Jaguar
- DD Chacal
- DD Lion
- DD Guépard
- 3 leased merchant vessels

Iberian Squadron - Contraalmirante Liang Zhong
- DL Alba de Tormes
- DD D160
- DD D161
- DD D162
- DD D163

Royal Thai Squadron - Rear Admiral Seniwong
- CL Chakri Nareubet
- DD DD-1
- DD DD-2
- DD DD-13
- DD DD-14
- TB TB-1
- TB TB-2

Sunday, July 31st 2011, 6:18am

February 15 - South of Sanya, San Hainando; CL Volta

Capitaine Emile Montrelay stood on the bridge of the Volta, immobile but with an almost impatient energy. Though he would never have dared show it to the crew, Montrelay was quite pleased to receive an independent assignment representing the French Navy at a joint international exercise; it was a command more worthy of a rear admiral, but Vice Admiral Tessier hand-picked him from among the officers of the Force de Raid.

The Iberian port of Sanya, the southernmost major port on the island of San Hainando, lay ahead. With war practically on their doorstep, Montrelay could see the signs of Iberian vigilance. A guard boat lay well outside the port, but they'd recognized the French cruisers and given them a polite salute, with Volta returned. There were aircraft on patrol overhead, and Montrelay, glassing the shoreline with the powerful big eyes on the open bridge wing, saw that the coastal artillery batteries he'd seen on a previous port visit ten years prior had been covered with camouflage netting. Shows that we're not the only ones concerned about this whole war - even if we did elect to seriously reinforce the fleet.

"It would appear the Thai Navy has not yet arrived, Capitaine," Lieutenant de Jerric said. The Volta's XO adopted a thoughtful look.

"They should be close behind us," Montrelay replied. "In any case, prepare the ship to salute the forts."

Sunday, July 31st 2011, 8:18pm

Lieutenant Commander Jaturun Chuang stood next to Rear Admiral Seniwong on the bridge of the Chakri Nareubet. Once again, Jaturun's ship was representing Thailand in an international meeting. But this one was different, the presence of the Rear Admiral and six of the First Fleet's destroyers proved that. Jaturun had also supervised the ammunition loading himself, and knew that this cruise would be much different from the last ones.

The little flotilla had been folowing a distant cloud of smoke on the horizon for most of the day. Jaturun and the Rear Admiral had agreed that this was the French squadron. There guess was confirmed when the cloud appered to stop and begin to disperce. "We must be close" Seniwong said "Signal the flotilla to prepare for arrival." Jaturun passed the command to the signals officer.

"Lieutenant Commander," Seniwong said "I was told to give you these before the start of the exercises, but I figured that it may impress our hosts more if you had them now." Seniwong produced a box from behind his back and opened it, exposing the Commander's rank insignias within them. "Congratulations Commander. Now, I believe you need to fix your uniform." Jaturun saluted, took the box and excused himself from the bridge to change over the insignias. He was followed from the bridge by a round of applause from his crew.
You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
Sneak home and pray you'll never know
The hell where youth and laughter go.
-Siegfried Sassoon

Tuesday, August 2nd 2011, 1:48am

February 15th, The office of Contraalmirante Liang Zhong, Sanya, San Hainando.

Zhong looked up from his notes as his adjutant finished his address to the assembled group.

They included naval and civilian personnel; men who would be directly involved with the upcoming exercises,
and men who would be responsible for the smooth interaction of the foreign crews with the local populace.
He rose from his chair; bring about a scuffle as his officers quickly made to stand.

“As you were Gentlemen” he said, waving them back to their seats.”
“As you have just heard, we have this event planned down to the last detail and it is down to us to make it work”

“ Comisario Principal Wong,” he nodded to the police chief, “has responsibility outside the harbour,
and I am granting him authority over our Shore Patrol squads within the city, should he see fit to use them.”

“Inside the harbour, I don’t forsee any problems. The Thais are regular visitors and the French are keen to be seen as our allies through F.I.R.S.T.,
so all crews will be warned to be on their best behaviour. Put the fear of Hellfire into them, at least that’s what I’d do to my crews!”
Broken laughter circled the room, from the older hands and civilians.

Capitán de Navío Manuel Roya Garcia of the Alba de Tormes,
and Capitáns de Fragata López Covas, García Ramírez, Arroyo López, Sanchez de Cuellar;
the commanding officers of the 4 new destroyers that arrived 2 weeks earlier with Alba de Tormes, looked at each other awkwardly.

The Admiral broke into laughter. “It appears our new arrivals are quite sure what to make of me” he smiled to the older hands.
“Relax gentlemen, do your jobs right and I will be your most ardent ally. But, if you....”

A knock at the door stopped him. “Enter” he called.
An able seaman entered, rossed the room, came to attention and handed the Admiral a note and waited.
The admiral glanced at the note, and dismissed the able seaman with a nod.

“Gentlemen, the French have been sighted by outer picket and the Thais have been sighted by one of the submarine pickets. Let us be about it then. Dismissed!”

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Commodore Green" (Aug 2nd 2011, 1:55am)

Tuesday, August 2nd 2011, 2:18am

Naval Harbour, Sanya.

The 5 captains walked back down the pier towards their ships.
Their mood was sombre, the Admiral’s interupted words still ringing in their ears.
Alba de Tormes was the first in line, and the group stopped at its gang plank.

“Gentlemen, I believe that we are going to be watched very closely during this exercise.
I had wondered why the Admiral picked us as the Iberian contingent,
but I see now why he did so.” said Roya Garcia to his fellow officers
The 4 other officers nodded in agreement.

"He will use this exercise to weigh us up,
and I don't desire to be found wanting."
“Briefing in my quarters at 0630 tomorrow Gentlemen. Buenas noches.”
The 4 saluted their superior, and turned to their own ships further down the pier.

Tuesday, August 2nd 2011, 8:35pm

CL Volta, February 15

"All stop."

"All stop, aye."

"Twenty fathoms of chain," Capitaine Montrelay added. "Plant to be maintained for onboard power; fenders out. Prepare the ship for port inspection."

"Aye sir."

Volta drifted slowly to her assigned berth in Sanya harbour, and her sistership Rhin, after waiting an appropriate period, slid alongside, setting out her own fenders to mind the paint. The four French destroyers, Jaguar and her three cousins, anchored slightly further out in the harbour, nestling side-by-side without requesting the aid of tugs.

Montrelay did not wait to watch his flotilla park; they were experienced professionals, after all, and held the benefit of the doubt. Instead, Montrelay turned over the watch to Lieutenant de Jerric, his XO, and embarked aboard the captain's launch and headed for the pier to call on Contraalmirante Liang.