You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Thursday, August 4th 2011, 9:00am

Hey if I charged royalty's for the use of my last name I'd be a rich man! Wilson sporting good's, "Wilson!!!" in the movie's cast away and "Behind enemy lines"...and thats just off the top of my head.....yes I could be a rich man.

Thursday, August 4th 2011, 3:51pm

Wes, Wilson Sporting Goods are more likely to sue you for using the name "Wilson" as they have been around since 1914. :)

... actually, looking at it, Thomas E. Wilson was born in Canada. Who knows? He might be part of your family tree somewhere. :)

Thursday, August 4th 2011, 8:22pm

Well he was born in Ontario, where I'm orriginally from so its possible.

*Appology's to Brock for the thread jack*

Thursday, August 4th 2011, 8:22pm

Granted. :P

Wednesday, August 10th 2011, 3:47am

March 12
The first M41 medium tank was handed over to the Army today for acceptance trials. The Army acknowledged that "over a hundred" tanks were on order.

Monday, August 15th 2011, 9:43pm

March 17
The Chilean Navy has sent an open letter request to the Argentine Navy to award an Argentine officer, Teniente Julio del Campo, with the Military Order of Chile.

Quoted

Sirs,
It is my duty and privilege to request that the Republic of Argentina accept the recommendation to award Teniente Julio del Campo, of the Argentine Navy, with the Military Order of Chile, for his actions aboard the carrier CNS Libertad on March 5th, 1941, during the ABC-41 Exercises, at the recommendation of Capitan de Navio Soriano. The heroic actions of Teniente del Campo have excited the highest admiration of the Chilean Navy, and we request the privilege of recognizing his distinguished service.

Sincerely,
Vice-Admiral Vincente Foxley, C-in-C Chilean Navy.

The citation, issued with Foxley's open letter to the Argentine Navy, reads:

Quoted

For heroism beyond the call of duty while serving as a naval observer and liaison aboard the Chilean carrier Libertad. On the evening of March 5th, a fighter landing aboard the Libertad crashed and struck two others, setting them ablaze. When the accident occurred, del Campo was on the flight deck, and without hesitation and in complete disregard of his own safety, ran to extract the unconscious pilot from the first burning aircraft, carrying him to safety. Immediately afterwards, del Campo returned through the blaze to help a second pilot trapped in his aircraft, freeing him and helping him to safety. Despite having received severe and dangerous burns, he moved with a view toward rendering further assistance to the firefighting crews. The great courage, grit, and determination displayed by del Campo characterized conduct far above and beyond the call of duty.

Monday, August 15th 2011, 10:04pm

March 19
The Argentine Navy sends a reply to the Chilean Navy.

Dear Sir,

It is my duty and privilege to accept the recommendation to award Teniente Julio del Campo, of the Argentine Navy, with the Military Order of Chile, for his actions aboard the carrier CNS Libertad on March 5th, 1941.
Teniente del Campo's heroic and selfless action have not only excited the highest admiration of the Chilean Navy, but of our own as well. Teniente del Campo acting out of compassion and courage without thought of danger to his own life is an example for all saliors everywhere across the oceans of the world. The great courage, grit, and determination displayed by del Campo characterized conduct far above and beyond the call of duty.
I therefore most humbly accept your request and I must also inform you that it has been decided to also award Teniente del Campo with the Argentine Orden del Libertador General San Martin (Order of the Liberator General San Martin), Grade Comendador.

Your Sincerley,
Almirante Dominguez
Chief of Staff of the Argentine Navy

Tuesday, August 23rd 2011, 7:35pm

High Level Discussions

22 March 1941, Santiago, The Office of the President

President Vizcarra had been surprised when his office had received a request from the German ambassador for a meeting - normally such matters would have been handled by the Foreign Ministry, but as the subject pertained to the Special Territories, Vizcarra rightly concluded that the German request had been properly directed. He would have preferred to have General Duartes present as well, but the general was busy up country and unavailable.

The German ambassador, Cecil von Renthe-Fink was shown in and the normal pleasantries exchanged, following which von Renthe-Fink came to the crux of the conversation.

“Your Excellency,” von Renthe began, “I have brought to the attention of my government the points raised in General Duartes’ recent briefing on reconstruction efforts in Chilean Bolivia, and how the international community can play a positive role in assisting such efforts. While some matters require additional discussion in both government and private circles, I have been authorised to discuss with you proposals from my government and from German private entities.”

President Vizcarra nodded. “Mister Ambassador, I am pleased that the German Government takes such an interest in this matter; it is completely unexpected. Please, continue.”

“General Duartes raised the question of education, at all levels. The German Government is in complete agreement that basic education is the foundation of a nation’s greatness, and that raising the level of education in Chilean Bolivia would be the greatest investment that can be made in that region. Towards that end the German Government proposes to offer a grant of 930,000 Reichsmarks to the Chilean Government to fund basic education efforts in Chilean Bolivia – discretion being left to Chilean authorities on the allocation of such grant funds.”

Vizcarra raised an eyebrow. “The generosity of the German Government is deeply appreciated. I have no doubt that the Minister of Education can find more than enough projects worthy of such funding.”

“Moreover, as you know, the German Academic Exchange Service has long offered scholarships to Chilean students for study in Germany. Alas, last year nearly half of the allotted thirty scholarships went unclaimed. I urge the Chilean Government to avail itself of these opportunities for world-class technical education for its brightest minds.”

On this matter Vizcarra silently acknowledged that functionaries in his government had not done all that they could. “I too regret this failure Mister Ambassador”, Vizcarra admitted. I assure you that efforts will be made to avail ourselves of these valuable opportunities.”

“Thank you Mister President,” von Renthe acknowledged. “In addition to education, the German Government recognises that reconstruction also has immediate needs. Towards this end the German Government also offers to provide a grant of 250,000 Reichsmarks for medical supplies and hospital equipment and 70,000 Reichsmarks for building materials and equipment to sustain the tasks of reconstruction.”

The Chilean leader did quick mental mathematics and realized that the German offer now amounted to a very substantial sum. “Such aid would be invaluable to the medical workers in the larger towns of the Special Territories, particularly as winter is fast approaching.”

“The needs of Chile have also been shared with various sectors of German industry and with the principal charitable organizations of my country. I expect that within a few weeks I may have additional information to communicate on this subject. It is my earnest hope that the Chilean Government will accept the proposals of my government at the earliest opportunity. Thank you for your time and attention.”

“Mister Ambassador, I can assure you that Chile is deeply moved by the response by the German Government to our situation. Reconstruction in the Special Territories is the best means to assure continued stability both for them and for my nation as a whole. I must consult with the Cabinet on the various aspects of your proposals, and assuredly the Office of the Comptroller General must oversee the financial details. But I can say that in principle that Chile will gratefully accept your proposals.”

“There appear to be no strings attached to their offer,” Vizcarra thought. “But even without a quid pro quo accepting the offer will be seen in certain quarters as a token of special friendship; not that such is necessarily untrue.”

Thursday, September 8th 2011, 3:04am

March 25
The Chilean congress voted today to privatize the Empresa de los Ferrocarriles del Estado (the Chilean national railway). The motion found widespread support in Congress, and President Vizcarra said to the press "While the government may apply their revenue to develop new railways, the actions of private industry will do more to promote the strong and sustainable growth of a viable railway network."

According to the motion passed by Congress, 35% stock of the EFE will be devolved to employee ownership over the next three years, with the stocks to be distributed on the basis of seniority and outstanding performance. Another 35% will be retained by the government until at least 1946. The remaining 30% of stock will be sold at a public offering.

March 31
Firefighters battling a forest fire outside the city of Osorno received a welcome break today when autumn storms swept in from the Pacific, dousing the entire region with eight centimeters of much-needed rain.

April 7
The ferry MS Puerto Eden owned by Naviera Magallanes S.A. was welcomed into service today. The large new ferry will begin service from Puerto Montt to Puerto Natales via Puerto Eden.

Thursday, September 8th 2011, 3:19am

Portfolio managers at major German banks make note of the privitization notice, and begin analyzing the potential for investment.

Saturday, September 10th 2011, 11:32am

British investors with fifty years of experience in the Argentine railway business are seeking new potential partners in South America as the potential nationalisation of their assets in Argentina comes closer.
They are now looking at proposals and the raising of capital to bid for the 30% stake in Empresa de los Ferrocarriles del Estado.

Saturday, September 10th 2011, 12:59pm

British investors are seeking to bid on all the shares being offered to the public?

That sounds a bit greedy! ;)

Saturday, September 10th 2011, 2:27pm

They are prepared to bid for all or part of the 30%. You can't blame them for planning for all eventualities!

Saturday, September 10th 2011, 6:17pm

Maybe Japan should bid as well, in order to force the UK to take action and bid even more for that 30%. :D

Saturday, September 10th 2011, 7:32pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Rooijen10
Maybe Japan should bid as well, in order to force the UK to take action and bid even more for that 30%. :D

As I understand it, only 30% is going to be offered to all the general public.

Of course, you can bid the offering price up and make the British (and anyone else) pay for the what share are available. The Chileans would quite likely appreciate a bidding war for the shares. :D

Saturday, September 10th 2011, 7:53pm

Quoted

As I understand it, only 30% is going to be offered to all the general public.

?(
Sorry, but I am not sure what you are trying to tell me with that. I'm just a simple peasant. :(

Quoted

The Chileans would quite likely appreciate a bidding war for the shares.

Japan would gladly start one for them so they can get the most money out of it. :D

Sunday, September 11th 2011, 5:38am

The Americans

Wishing to expand their horizons decide to muscle in with their typical Americaness and double everyone elses price.

So there :D

Sunday, September 11th 2011, 6:05am

I don't know what's happening but the Chileans like it!

Sunday, September 11th 2011, 6:13am

Atlantean National Railway would also be interested in shares in the South american market.

Sunday, September 11th 2011, 11:48am

The Chilean government wanting to raise the most capital they can is going to want a large experienced firm, not just a bunch of hundreds of shareholders owing 00.25% each.
The only way this privatisation makes sense is if Chile gets huge amounts of investment, and the potential investor gets a huge amount of profit from it. Risk plays a big part, how risky is Chile's railway industry? Why is the government selling it off? Were they tired of losing money? Could the government not raise enough funds to modernise the lines?
Many questions but if all is well Chile will soon hear the jingle of gold coins (or the rustle of a fat cheque).