You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Sunday, June 5th 2011, 4:54pm

What-if RAF Aircraft

Over at Shipbucket I've been making a foray into FD scale aircraft drawings (1 metre = 22.093 pixels).

Here are my efforts thus far;

The first prototype TSR.2

Some what-if TSRs in 1964 BAC camoflauge scheme

What-if TSRs in standard tactical RAF camo

More TSRs with furter toned down markings and Martel missiles (top anti-radar, bottom TV-guided)

The Hawker Siddeley supersonic V/STOL fighter with some what-if colour schmes based on Phantom and Harrier units

Sunday, June 5th 2011, 10:09pm

These drawings are beautiful.

Monday, June 6th 2011, 12:05am

Very nice

Wednesday, June 8th 2011, 9:15am

Awesome drawings !!!!!

Saturday, June 11th 2011, 5:55pm

A couple more;

A conversion trainer variant of the TSR.2 and more P.1154 Harriers;

Saturday, June 11th 2011, 6:02pm

Ah... the TSR.2

I have always admired this aircraft - it would have just right for the time frame and its development would have cost the RAF far less than its 'replacements' - the 'planned but not procured' F-111, the 'projected but abortive' MRCA and the final Panavia Tornado, not to mention the interim acquisition of the Phantom and ex-RN Buccaneers.

The drawings really do the aircraft justice! Thanks Hood.

Saturday, June 11th 2011, 9:30pm

Nice drawings; there're some fighter versions of TSR2 in Damien Burke's recent book which I really like as well.

TSR2 itself - significant technical problems, especially with mission systems, ballooning costs... It's a very expensive way of delivering 6x1,000lb dumb bombs. I'm glad we plumped the money into Polaris instead.

Sunday, June 12th 2011, 3:07am

Quoted

Originally posted by Red Admiral
Nice drawings; there're some fighter versions of TSR2 in Damien Burke's recent book which I really like as well.

TSR2 itself - significant technical problems, especially with mission systems, ballooning costs... It's a very expensive way of delivering 6x1,000lb dumb bombs. I'm glad we plumped the money into Polaris instead.

HERESY! :p

Sunday, June 12th 2011, 1:33pm

A couple more TSR.2s, this time with the ventral recon pack with SLAR, Linescan and cameras.

Tuesday, July 5th 2011, 10:37pm

A few more.

The Fairey Rotodyne Z which was never built, but the smaller Rotodyne Y was successfully flown.

A Rotodyne Z in BEA colours

An RAF Rotodyne, in typical tactical transport colours, and in my AU they are brought instead of the HS Andover.

Cross-channel cary ferry operator British Car Ferries buys some too.

Kaman signs a licence-production agreement and fits American turboprops. New York Airlines nearly brought the type OTL and here is a what-if in their colours.

Wednesday, July 6th 2011, 9:29pm

The quickest and noisiest way to get from London to Paris.

I feel there's a need for an ASW version...

Saturday, July 9th 2011, 2:53pm

Interesting idea Gavin, I had thought about an AEW version too.

In the meantime here are some Vietnam-era Kaman-built Rotodynes, including a Super Green Giant!

Saturday, July 9th 2011, 5:07pm

Interesting! Nicely drawn.

Sunday, July 10th 2011, 3:15pm

A couple more; the real-life Avro 701 Athena. Designed to Spec T.7/45 a turboprop-powered advanced trainer. Only 15 production T.Mk.2 were ever built before production was halted in favour of the Boulton Paul Balliol.

Two AS Mamba-powered T.Mk.1 did fly, as did a RR Dart powered T1A, but here is a what-if, the T.Mk.1 in service in standard RAF training colours with a few improvements based on the T.Mk.1

Sunday, July 10th 2011, 3:39pm

Those planes look pretty interesting.

Tuesday, July 12th 2011, 10:13pm

The Blackburn B-54 anti-submarine aircraft that lost out to the Fairey Gannet. Here is one of the prototypes, I'll do some Mamba-powered production what-ifs later on!

Sunday, July 17th 2011, 1:08pm

As promised some what-ifs, Royal Navy, West Germany, Royal Netherlands Navy and the Japanese Maritime Self Defence Force.

Sunday, July 17th 2011, 6:00pm

Interesting.

Saturday, July 30th 2011, 5:22pm

The Hawker P.1121, a private-venture that the Ministry of Supply and the RAF ignored, perferring the F.155T interceptor and GOR.339 tactical bomber, and after much investment by Hawker the lack of offical funding killed the project in 1958 before the prototype could fly.

A trio of what-if RAF schemes with two fighters and one strike variant with camera and Doppler navigation replacing the AI.23 radar.

Saturday, July 30th 2011, 5:27pm

Amazing drawings!