You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Saturday, May 28th 2011, 1:47am

Coastal Forces

Gentlemen,

on German small crafts like S-Boats or R-Boats I have quite some information. However, I lack a good compendium on this type of vessel in general. So I am looking for a book with technical data, line drawings, design history and service account on british MTB/MGB/ML, Italian MAS boats, American PT boats etc.

Is there any such book out there you can recommend?

Thanks,

HoOmAn

Saturday, May 28th 2011, 6:49am

I can recommend two books, "Allied Coastal forces, volumes 1 and 2" by John Lambert and Al Ross. Volume 1 covers Fairmile and American subchaser designs while Volume 2 covers Vosper MTB's and U.S. Elco designs. Lots of nice diagrams, charts, cutaways, pictures and stats.

HoOmAn

Saturday, May 28th 2011, 10:55am

Thanks.

While looking for those on amazone, I´ve also found British Motor Torpedo Boat 1939-45 (New Vanguard) which seems to be part of series of similar books on other nations fast attack crafts.

Do you know these books?

Saturday, May 28th 2011, 12:41pm

Hoo,
I've seen British Motor Torpedo Boats 1939-45 (New Vanguard) in a shop recently but didn't buy it myself. Had a good flick through and I must admit it looked good with drawings, plans and brief but informative text. For the price its ok, I have a British Airships 1905-30 from the same series. That's a great read and most of those books look pretty good. For a budget catch-all they make sense but they aren't geeky technical like a 300 page book! ;)

HoOmAn

Saturday, May 28th 2011, 4:12pm

Thanks,

I will check if I can get them all, so I should have some good overview in general. Nevertheless, I´d prefer to have something like Whitley's cruiser or destroyer book on torpedo boats and other coastal forces. Some kind of general encyclopedia. Any idea if such book exists?

Saturday, May 28th 2011, 4:32pm

Do you have Conways 1922-46?

Not sure I know of any books like a Whitley for torpedo boats etc.
You could try a reprinted Janes like the Studio released versions of the 1946 issue with bits added.

Saturday, October 13th 2012, 10:40am

Hoo, I don't know if your still looking for books on this subject or not. I've recently acquired 'Coastal Forces Vessels of the Royal Navy From 1865' by M.P. Cocker, published by Tempus, 2006, ISBN 0-7524-3862-X.

It's a general overview of all coastal vessels of the RN up to around 2004. It features brief specs and some good photos and layout plans of diverse types such as Monitors, torpedo boats, MTBs, River Gunboats, Landing Craft, Hovercraft etc.

As a starting point its ok, the specs etc. are brief but it gives entire class numbers and builders etc. and is a good starting point, but just don't expect a nut 'n' bolts approach within 256 pages. It tries to record all known losses though so has some value in that regard. Overall a good starter read. 7 out of 10.

HoOmAn

Saturday, October 13th 2012, 4:22pm

Thanks for letting me know. I will check it out...