You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Thursday, May 26th 2011, 1:27am

RKMB-92 Ground-attack aircraft

I would like to present you a fictional design for a Ground-attack aircraft... Not a beauty as you can see. The layout seems to be unconventional: the engine is located behind the cockpit. I did this to move the pilot seat as far to the front as possible to give him a good visibility over the nose and to the ground.
A 37mm cannon is mounted in the nose and two 30 mm cannons are mounted in the wings (I don't like those planes which are overcrowded with those 50. caliber toys....)

I experimented with a new paintscheme but I am not fully satisfied with it.

Well, I would like to know what you guys think of this (maybe too unconventional) design.

RKMB-92 A-0 (mod. early 1944)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thursday, May 26th 2011, 1:42am

I can see several potential issues with this particular design.

1. Having the engine sit so far back calls to my mind center-of-gravity issues. This aircraft would certainly seem to be tail heavy.

2. The extension shaft from the engine to the propeller would be quite long for two-seat aircraft, and would pass though the gunner's and pilot's station. This is asking a lot for the crew and the shaft itself could be prone to malfunction.

3. While both the Bell Airacobra and Kingcobra used this particular configuration they were both single-seaters; and no one would describe either aircraft as agile. The latter is perhaps of less consequence for a ground attack aircraft, but still the handling characteristics of the aircraft are suspect, at least to my mind.

As you suggest, it may be too unconventional.

Thursday, May 26th 2011, 11:53am

Looks a little tail-heavy as well.