You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Saturday, April 9th 2011, 4:08pm

Greek Battleship Salamis

The keel was laid down on 23 July 1913; the hull was complete and ready for launching by 11 November 1914, the day the ship entered the water. The main battery and secondary guns were sub-contracted to Bethlehem Steel in the United States. However, the outbreak of World War I in August 1914 had drastically altered the situation; the naval blockade of Germany emplaced by Great Britain meant that the guns could not be delivered. Work was halted on 31 December 1914. By this time Greece had only paid AG Vulcan £450,000. Bethlehem refused to send the main battery guns to Greece. The 14 inch guns were instead sold to the British, who used them to arm the four Abercrombie-class monitors. The incomplete vessel was towed to Kiel, where she was used as a barracks ship.. After the end of the war, the Greek navy refused to accept the incomplete hull. AG Vulcan sued the Greek government in 1923. A lengthy arbitration ensued; on 23 April 1932 the arbitrators determined that the Greek government owed AG Vulcan £30,000, and that AG Vulcan would be awarded the hull. The ship was broken up for scrap in Bremen that year.

Saturday, April 9th 2011, 7:37pm

As always, very nice.

Saturday, April 9th 2011, 11:16pm

I was aware of the reason the armament was never delivered, but never heard about the post-war lawsuit until now!

Damn the torpedoes, call out the lawyers!

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Saturday, April 9th 2011, 11:52pm

Not a single window in her upperworks?

Sunday, April 10th 2011, 1:06am

Quoted

Originally posted by HoOmAn

The clear image of the finished ship, as i found in just 2 plans from internet has no windows at the superstructures!

Sunday, April 10th 2011, 1:18am

What if...?

An idea of how the ship was going to be refited in the middle '30s, if was ever comleted!

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Sunday, April 10th 2011, 1:54am

Quoted

Originally posted by Navarchos

Quoted

The clear image of the finished ship, as i found in just 2 plans from internet has no windows at the superstructures!

Doesn´t make any sense to me....

Sunday, April 10th 2011, 3:48am

I'd think that during the reconstruction the boilers would be replaced with more efficient ones that require less space, leading to a single or perhaps trunked funnel. I'd also think the casemates would go with more deck mounts replacing them, perhaps with the bulge coming up to deck level similar to the US Standards leaving more room on deck. (Due to added width). Nice pic though.

Sunday, April 10th 2011, 4:07am

Quoted

Originally posted by Sachmle
I'd think that during the reconstruction the boilers would be replaced with more efficient ones that require less space, leading to a single or perhaps trunked funnel. I'd also think the casemates would go with more deck mounts replacing them, perhaps with the bulge coming up to deck level similar to the US Standards leaving more room on deck. (Due to added width). Nice pic though.

If that were late-30s, or wartime rebuild, yeah. But Narv said it's mid-30s, and I'd guess contemporary with the earlier Standard modernizations, which retained the midships casemates, weren't bulged, and had the tripods Trunking the stacks makes sense, however.

Sunday, April 10th 2011, 5:10am

Good point, I didn't notice the date.

Sunday, April 10th 2011, 10:55am

I've always wondered why the Germans didn't complete Salamis for thier on High Seas Fleet during the Great War. Britain made the most of the battleships she was building for export on the eve of war and the HSF needed every ship too in the attempt to provide a credible threat to the Grand Fleet.

Sunday, April 10th 2011, 12:27pm

Quoted

Quoted

Originally posted by Navarchos

Quoted

Doesn´t make any sense to me....

OK if that makes you fill better, I fix a plan with windows in the superstructures!

Sunday, April 10th 2011, 3:05pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Hood
I've always wondered why the Germans didn't complete Salamis for thier on High Seas Fleet during the Great War. Britain made the most of the battleships she was building for export on the eve of war and the HSF needed every ship too in the attempt to provide a credible threat to the Grand Fleet.

They wanted to, but Krupp was too busy to built any main battery guns for her. Thus there was no reason to bother to complete her.