You are not logged in.

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Sunday, March 13th 2011, 1:14am

Help requested

Hi all....

I am working on the RSAF hardware. Regarding light and medium bombers I am not yet certain which designs to choose. So your input is most welcome. What I need is pictures/drawings first place as I intend to come up with home grown designs in the end.

Regarding light bombers I am looking for something along the lines of the A-20 (Boston) and probably the A-26. The SU-8 might also be an option. However, especially the American designs are too well known... So best would be either OTL design build only in small numbers by smaller nations OR designs that did not make it beyond the drawing boards or prototype status.

What would you propose?

Regarding medium bombers I´d prefer something like the B-25 or B-26. I checked the Albemarle or Buckingham but I am not yet satisfied. The Ju 288 is most preferred of course but I´d like to review some other designs first.

Thanks for your help.

Sunday, March 13th 2011, 1:32am

For medium bombers, the PZL.49 might be a good fit. It has about the bombload of the B-25J, but with much more speed (although it sacrifices the massive defensive armarment for something smaller). It was a prototype, but it might have worked. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PZL.49_Mi%C5%9B

Something else you might want to look at is the Martin XB-27: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_XB-27

The lines of light bombers and medium bombers have reached the point where they're beginning to blur. It might be a good idea to just standardize on one sort.

Sunday, March 13th 2011, 1:33am

I am not certain whether this would be exactly what you are looking for - it seems to fall somewhere between the A-20 and B-25 in size and capabilities - it would meet your need for not being quite OTL. I posted it in the Non-WW folder quite a while back.

If you are interested, I can send you a better drawing; and feel free to make use of it if you wish.

Sunday, March 13th 2011, 10:53am

A few thoughts from the Italian side of things;

CANT Z.1018 or the later BZ.303 with inline engines

Fiat AS.14

Fiat BR.26

Fiat-CANSA FC.20

Grumman XTB2F

HoOmAn

Thursday, March 17th 2011, 2:47pm

Thank you all for your feedback. Fever knocked me out the last few days so I was not in the mood to continue with this stuff. But I am about to recover and will come back to you with some questions...

Friday, March 18th 2011, 10:58pm

RE: Help requested

Quoted

Originally posted by HoOmAn
Hi all....

I am working on the RSAF hardware. Regarding light and medium bombers I am not yet certain which designs to choose. So your input is most welcome. What I need is pictures/drawings first place as I intend to come up with home grown designs in the end.

I do have an aviation background and I've been drawing original craft for some other players (mainly AVALMA), so I'd be more than happy to help.

HoOmAn

Friday, March 18th 2011, 11:05pm

Quoted

Originally posted by TexanCowboy
For medium bombers, the PZL.49 might be a good fit. It has about the bombload of the B-25J, but with much more speed (although it sacrifices the massive defensive armarment for something smaller). It was a prototype, but it might have worked. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PZL.49_Mi%C5%9B

Something else you might want to look at is the Martin XB-27: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_XB-27

The lines of light bombers and medium bombers have reached the point where they're beginning to blur. It might be a good idea to just standardize on one sort.

I think the PZL-49 is a bit too old fashioned for what I am looking for...

The link you offer on the Martin XB-27 does not provide too much info (and no pics) and what I found in the net seems to indicate a high altitude Marauder. Correct?

I am aware of the challange to clearly define what is light or medium in terms of bomber. For the mid-30s that probably still pretty easily solved but in the 1940s it gets tricky for sure...

HoOmAn

Friday, March 18th 2011, 11:09pm

Quoted

Originally posted by BruceDuncan

Looks great and is close to what I am looking for. Do you also have a top view of her?

Could you provide cariants, like with an enclosed bow and guns (55mm or 75mm plus MG) or with inline engines etc.?

I think her dorsal turret lacks a bit of headroom for the gunner and the barrels of those MG are a bit short probably. But those are details that are easily fixed.

Where is her undercarriage?

HoOmAn

Friday, March 18th 2011, 11:11pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Red Admiral

Fiat BR.26

RA, in many ways this looks like what I was looking for. However, I could not find any details on that design in the net. Can you provide more?

Friday, March 18th 2011, 11:20pm

Quoted

Originally posted by HoOmAn

Looks great and is close to what I am looking for. Do you also have a top view of her?

Could you provide cariants, like with an enclosed bow and guns (55mm or 75mm plus MG) or with inline engines etc.?

I think her dorsal turret lacks a bit of headroom for the gunner and the barrels of those MG are a bit short probably. But those are details that are easily fixed.

Where is her undercarriage?

I regret that I do not have a top view.

I could probably work up a solid nose but I am not certain I could draw inline engines - though I could try.

The undercarriage is tricycle - and fully enclosed. Main wheels retract into the engine nacelles, with the standard nose wheel.

Friday, March 18th 2011, 11:27pm

About the XB-27 i found this ...

http://www.samoloty.ow.pl/str044.htm