You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Wednesday, March 9th 2011, 6:13pm

Paris Air Show 1940

Attention: the Paris Air Show will be held from November 24th to December 8th, 1940 at Orly Airport in France. Countries are invited to attend with manufacturer's displays of military and civil aircraft, military display teams, etc, etc, etc...

Wednesday, March 9th 2011, 6:51pm

What?! It should be 20-26 June and I will be there...

... oh wait! You mean in 1940! :D

Now more seriously: What you have listed for dates is what it would be if today's show format was used back then. Looking at historical, it is more likely to be held in November/December and be about 15 days long.

Not sure how your French is...
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salon_inter…iste_des_salons

Wednesday, March 9th 2011, 6:53pm

Aha. I will alter that, then. Thanks for the FYI.

Wednesday, March 9th 2011, 6:56pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Brockpaine
Aha. I will alter that, then. Thanks for the FYI.

Thank you! That makes it much easier for me to plan. Do you wish entry information posted here or elsewhere?

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "BruceDuncan" (Mar 9th 2011, 6:56pm)

Wednesday, March 9th 2011, 6:58pm

Quoted

Originally posted by BruceDuncan
Thank you! That makes it much easier for me to plan. Do you wish entry information posted here or elsewhere?

You can post information and entries here, or PM me; I will summarize the airshow in a future episode of the French News thread. (The new date makes it better for me, too, as nobody has to redact any news.)

Wednesday, March 9th 2011, 8:07pm

Looking on the French wiki, this is how it looks in 1938 (only 2 years off).

An airshow now, instead of 1949, will help develop it a lot sooner into a better field. :)

The river Seine is only a few miles away, so will facilities be available to handle float planes and flying boats? Looking at Google Earth, there are a few nice river stretches in the area which could be used for take-off and landing.

Wednesday, March 9th 2011, 8:23pm

Glancing at Google Earth, I'm not entirely certain for larger flying boats; but smaller flying boats and seaplanes could probably be hosted.

Wednesday, March 9th 2011, 8:26pm

I'll need a fair bit of space.....

as the following will be attending........
DAF
S.A.I.
DAF Iberia
C.A.S.A (starting a little ahead of schedule)
Cierva Aviation
Zeppelin Iberia
DAF Italia

Wednesday, March 9th 2011, 8:30pm

RE: I'll need a fair bit of space.....

Quoted

Originally posted by Commodore Green
as the following will be attending........
DAF
S.A.I.
DAF Iberia
C.A.S.A (starting a little ahead of schedule)
Cierva Aviation
Zeppelin Iberia
DAF Italia

It will be excellent to see our Iberian and Danish friends. :)

Wednesday, March 9th 2011, 8:53pm

Quoted

Glancing at Google Earth, I'm not entirely certain for larger flying boats; but smaller flying boats and seaplanes could probably be hosted.

Yes, a shame all those stupid bridges are around. :) There is actually a nice ~2 kilometers long stretch of river that is fairly straight and more than 100 meters wide about 8 kilometers or so SSE of the airfield. Unfortunately, it looks like Pont de la Première-Armée-Française was and is in the way as far back as 1894.
http://dandylan.over-blog.com/article-le…l-64193420.html
Not sure how high it is, but it does not look like the bigger ones will fit underneath that bridge.

Wednesday, March 9th 2011, 8:59pm

It would appear it is too low, yes. Nevertheless, the French will arrange accommodations for seaplanes which can reasonably manage the river landing without undue hazard.

Wednesday, March 9th 2011, 9:03pm

Hmmm... I better make sure than Manzo's incapacitated then around that time. :D

Wednesday, March 9th 2011, 9:07pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Rooijen10
Hmmm... I better make sure than Manzo's incapacitated then around that time. :D

I hear there's a great new sushi bar on the waterfront of Riga. :)

Wednesday, March 9th 2011, 9:35pm

Boulton Paul will send a team, they will show a P.94 Reistence, perhaps also a flying routine.

Blackburn will show the B.28 bomber and probably fly it too. They will also have a B.44 fighter mock-up.

Hawker Siddeley will have a huge stand with Avro, Hawker and Gloster products. Among them a Typhoon, Tornado and a Tempest prototype will be on static display, a Gloster SS.44 Reaper twin-engined fighter and the new Avro 685 York airliner.

Vickers Supermarine will have a Spitfire F.Mk.III for flying display.

Fairey will show a Firefly and a Barracuda.

Miles will show their brand-new M.28 Messenger alongside the M.17 Monarch.

Wednesday, March 9th 2011, 9:59pm

Russians are coming!

Tupelov will be there, with the ANT-35, as will his subordinates Ilyushin and Sukhoi with their ANT-38 and ANT-36.

Polikarpov will show the I-37, but expects his thunder to be stolen by Mikoyan and the I-41.

Wednesday, March 9th 2011, 10:12pm

The Russians and British are welcome.

Wednesday, March 9th 2011, 11:48pm

Some Canadian atendees...

Canadian Car & Foundry
CC&F CF-55 "Frisbee"

Burnelli CY-3 "Loadmaster"

Burnelli CB-16 "Broad Skate"

Burnelli CF-38 "Skipray"

Noorduyn Norseman

DeHavilland Canada
DHC-1 "Chipmunk"

CFS-8b "Ornithopterus"

CPB-15 "Ornithocheirus"

Avro Canada
CF-12 "Pit Viper"

ShinRa Aviation
ShinRa-Berliner CH-1 "Eggbeater"

Thursday, March 10th 2011, 12:39am

LKOD, Cukurs, and VEF will be attending...I'll get the exact data to you when I get a chance...

Thursday, March 10th 2011, 2:17am

Back on topic here, IAR will send examples of its IAR 46 and IAR 81.

EMBRAER has nothing to send, unfortunately.

Thursday, March 10th 2011, 3:16am

Quoted

Originally posted by TheCanadian
Back on topic here, IAR will send examples of its IAR 46 and IAR 81.

EMBRAER has nothing to send, unfortunately.

The Romanians are welcome to attend.