You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Sunday, February 20th 2011, 5:26pm

RAF Specifications 1941

As usual here is a sneak-peek at what the Air Ministry will be asking for next year. Of note, the Air Ministry now also raises the offical requirements of the government-owned BOAC and BEA airlines and the first requirements for a new generation of types will be unveiled next year. The Specifications to be raised are;

N.7/41: Issued to Hawker to cover development of a naval version of the P.1020 fighter.

E.6/41: Issued to de Havilland for turbojet research work.

P.1/41: A thirty-nine seat medium/short range twin-engined airliner with a cruise speed of 200mph for BEA. Two Centaurus engines preferred.
Contenders are;
de Havilland DH.97 (note this is the Airspeed AS.57 Ambassador and Airspeed is now wholly owned by DH) with two Centaurus radials, high-wing and triple tailfins and can accommodate up to 39 passengers.
Miles M.56, a high-wing design with twin fins and seating 24 passengers three abreast, powered by two RR Merlin or Bristol Perseus engines, range is 1,500-1,600 miles, cruising speed 194mph and AUW 25,600lbs.
Westland has offered a 30-seat airliner powered by two RR Merlin X inline engines with an all-up weight of 18,500lbs.
Winner is ?

P.2/41: A small feederliner for BEA and other independent airlines. Has to carry between 12-15 passengers over 750 miles with a cruising speed of 175mph and the ability to operate from small strips.
Contenders are;
Miles M.60, a four-engined airliner powered by four DH Gipsy series engines and with a high-wing and twin-tail.
Percival P.41/P.42, both are high-wing designs carrying 20 passengers, the P.41 being powered by two Bristol Perseus and the P.42 by four Leonides radials or DH Gipsy series engines. The P.42 has a cruising speed of 187mph.
Winner is ?

P.3/41: A small all-metal feederliner powered by two DH Gipsy engines to carry between 8-10 passengers over 750 miles and the ability to operate from small strips.
Contenders are;
de Havilland D.H.104 , a conventional twin-engined type with two 330hp DH Gipsy engines with capacity for two pilots and eight passengers but removal of the toilet and rear baggage hold makes room for up to eleven passengers. Estimated maximum speed is 215mph; range 800 miles and service ceiling 21,500ft.
Westland has offered a twin-Gipsy powered aircraft with a span of 50ft and AUW of 9,860lbs.
The winner is ?

T.13/41: A fast three-seat twin-engined advanced trainer with a maximum speed of 350mph.
The sole contender is the Bristol Type 166 using the wings and tail of the Buckingham bomber with two Centaurus engines, pupil and instructor sit side-by-side with a third seat for a air signaller behind. Blind flying training equipment fitted.

T.23/41: A three-seat basic trainer to replace the Tiger Moth. The third seat is for a second pupil to observe procedures in the front seat. To be powered by a 250hp Gipsy Queen 32 engine.
Contenders are; Percival Prentice and the Boulton Paul P.106 (210hp Gipsy Queen II or 200hp Gipsy Queen III with either three seats, side-by-side or tandem versions)
Winner is ?

C.11/41: An aerial inflight-refuelling tanker aircraft to be fitted with a hose and drogue system developed by Flight Refuelling Ltd, most be able to carry at least 2,000 gallons of fuel for transfer and have a performance comparable to the latest four-engined bombers and have a radius of at least 1,500 miles. No defensive armament is mandatory but a tail turret or dorsal turret might be acceptable if no penalties are imposed on the aircraft’s role. Provision should be made for the drogue operator to have the best possible view to the rear and below the aircraft.
Contenders are;
Avro has offered a variant of the Avro Type 983 Lancaster with a dorsal turret, fuel tanks in the former bomb bay and a new nose and glazed rear compartment for the drogue operator replacing the rear turret. The drogue winch is located just aft of the former bomb bay. Total tankage is 2,300 gallons in ventral tanks.
Handley Page has offered the H.P.57, a four engined aircraft powered by four 1,615hp Hercules V radials; span would be 104.2ft and length 70ft and performance is estimated at 282mph maximum speed; long-range cruising speed 215mph; service ceiling 24,000ft and range with maximum load 1,100 miles. Maximum take-off weight would be 65,000lbs. The drogue operator would be housed in the tail of the aircraft and provision would be made for latter fitting of a four-gun Boulton Paul dorsal turret. The lower fuselage would carry four 650 gallon tanks and the aircraft’s wing tanks could also be plumbed into the tanker fuel system to increase capacity.
Shorts have offered a variant of their S.32 Sandringham airliner. The centre fuselage would house five 450 gallon tanks and the drogue operator would be housed in a rear compartment with a ventral blister to lie prone in. The drogue would be operated from the starboard outer nacelle. Four 1,615hp Bristol Hercules V would be fitted for a maximum speed of 282mph with a range 2,800 miles.
Vickers has offered a variant of the Type 447 long-range bomber now on the drawing boards. Rex Pierson and Barnes Wallis have retained the geodetic construction and the Type 447 will span 117ft and will be 76ft long with a maximum take-off weight of 55,000lbs. The four engines will be Rolls-Royce Merlins for a maximum speed of 317mph and a service ceiling of 27,250ft and range fully loaded will be 2,900 miles. The drogue operator will be in the tail of the aircraft and Vickers are offering two drogues, one in each outer nacelle. The fuel tanks will be in the centre fuselage with a total capacity of 2,000 gallons. Vickers also included a brief study of a tanker variant of the Warwick bomber powered by two Centaurus with one drogue unit mounted ventrally.
The winner is?

C.12/41: Issued to Miles for variant of Master trainer for target towing as the Martinet.

Q.10/41: Issued to Miles for radio-controlled target variant of Martinet for the FAA as the Queen Martinet.

Sunday, February 20th 2011, 5:54pm

You are joking about the aerial refuel aorcraft?

Sunday, February 20th 2011, 7:48pm

Why not?

Quoted

In 1934 he founded Flight Refuelling Ltd. (FRL), and by 1938 had used the FRL's looped-hose system to refuel aircraft as large as the Short Empire flying boat Cambria from an Armstrong Whitworth AW.23.[3] Handley Page Harrows were used in the 1939 trials to aerial refuel the Empire flying boats for regular transatlantic crossings. From August 5 to October 1, 1939 sixteen crossings of the Atlantic were made by Empire flying boats, with fifteen crossings using FRL's aerial refueling system.[10] After the sixteen crossings further trials were suspended due to the war.[11]

Looks like just a military extention of what happened OTL. Historically it was done with surplus Harrows and the AW.23, and there's nothing really stopping it from happening except for the cost for the more modern refuelers.

Sunday, February 20th 2011, 8:24pm

I would think the pilot training burden would limit the uptake of it. Fair enough for doing some special long range missions but not as normal procedure.

Where's the Griffon powered Windsor? Given that engine is available and produces more power, I'd think the additional range possible would be much more useful for the RAF in WW.

Sunday, February 20th 2011, 11:35pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Vukovlad
You are joking about the aerial refuel aorcraft?

Why? Aerial refueling was being toyed with as early as the late 20's.

Monday, February 21st 2011, 9:12pm

Flight Refuelling Ltd. has put a lot of effort in and are world leaders in this technology. If you my past news you'll find Imperial Airways during 1939 have made several transatlantic trial flights (one resulted in a crash). My 1940 news has details of trials now ongoing into 1941 by the RAF and the RAE to see if the equipment works and whether average pilots can handle the procedures. The RAF is interested in procuring a small number of tankers, we are not talking about 500, more like 20-30. Of course a winner might also be ordered as a freighter as well. Service entry would be 1943.

RA, the Vickers Type 447 Windsor with the RR Griffon is being developed under Specification B.3/39. It's taken until mid-1940 to get to the Type 447 and detail design work has now begun. Vickers hopes to fly the first of two prototypes in mid 1942. Service entry will be early 1945.

Sunday, May 8th 2011, 11:50am

The Air Ministry and the RAE looked at all the submissions and chose the winning designs sometime during mid-1941 allowing detailed design work to begin.

N.7/41: Issued to Hawker to cover development of a naval version of the P.1020, the P.1022. Although Hawker lost Spec F.6/39 to Supermarine Sidney Camm continued to refine the Tempest and he soon developed the ‘Tempest Light Fighter’ with the standard Tempest wings brought together on the centreline as a one-piece wing. Figures estimated a reduction of 600lbs of weight. In the event the span had to be increased slightly to allow the inner cannon to clear the propeller disc. The Air Staff called for a radial engine and so work on proposed Griffon and Sabre powered versions was halted. Camm proposed a version as the P.1022 to fulfil N.7/40 but work was delayed and so Gloster offered a naval Typhoon instead. The Navy requested a contra-rotating propeller but eventually a five-bladed unit proved acceptable. Gloster began work on devising folding wings and the Admiralty placed an order for two prototypes. Promising figures of a performance superior to new Supermarine fighter (465mph at 18,000ft) meant the Admiralty ordered 100 Sea Fury Mk.1 fighters off the drawing board and Gloster was to produce all the production machines.

P.1/41: A thirty-nine seat medium-short range twin-engined airliner with a cruise speed of 200mph for BEA. Two Centaurus engines preferred.
Contenders were;
AIRCO DH.97
Miles M.56
Westland
Winner is AIRCO DH.97 Ambassador, BEA selected the winning design based on its better cabin layout and the proven track record of de Havilland and Airspeed to produce a good sound design. Two Britsol Centaurus radials are the chosen powerplant and the type will seat 39 passengers. DH hopes for a first flight sometime in mid-1944 for service entry in late 1945/ early 1946 with BEA.

P.2/41: A small feederliner for BEA and other independent airlines.
Contenders were;
Miles M.60 Marathon
Percival P41/P42
Winner is Miles M.60 Marathon, BEA perferred this design as a simple but effective soloution and it marks the largest design Miles has yet attempted and a break-out into a new market. Miles hopes for a first flight in mid-1943.

P.3/41: A small all-metal feederliner.
Contenders were;
AIRCO DH.104 Dove
Westland
The winner is the DH.104 Dove, a fitting successor to the successful Dragon family from the same firm. The first flight is planned for late-1942

T.23/41: A three-seat basic trainer to replace the Tiger Moth. The third seat is for a second pupil to observe procedures in the front seat. To be powered by a 250hp Gipsy Queen 32 engine.
Contenders are; Percival Prentice, Boulton Paul P.106 (210hp Gipsy Queen II or 200hp Gipsy Queen III with either three seats, side-by-side or tandem versions)
Winner is Percival Prentice (370 on order first flight 31 March 1944, T.2 from 1950 with 345hp Gipsy Queen 70)

C.11/41: An aerial inflight-refuelling tanker aircraft to be fitted with a hose and drogue system developed by Flight Refuelling Ltd.
Contenders were;
Avro Type 983 modified tanker aircraft
Handley Page H.P.57
Shorts S.39. S.32 Sandringham-based tanker
Vickers Type 449, Type 447 variant
The winner is the Handley Page H.P.57. Shorts airliner based submission was quickly eliminated as it lacked enough space and it was felt much redesign would be neccessary. The Vickers submission was also rejected becuase the design was based on a new bomber that had not yet flown and may interfere with the development and completion of the Type 447 bomber which was given much higher prority than the tanker. That left Avro and Handley Page, the Lancaster variant was not ideal but the Handely Page was a fresh sheet design which would take longer to develop but was more optimised for its role. Given than Handley Page has considerable spare design and production capacity it was decided to select the new fresh sheet aircraft. Avros could not accept more work and it was felt that keeping Handley Page employed (at a time when financial difficulties might mean the collapse of the firm) was benefical until future bomber work came in.
No planned first flight date has been made yet but service entry isn't expected until at least 1944.

Saturday, July 2nd 2011, 12:45pm

Thought I'd add the 1941 OOB here since it shows which units are getting the new juicier types.

Fighter Command
HQ Bentley Priory

No 10 Group, HQ Box
Middle Wallop Sector

23 Sqn, Middle Wallop Gloster G.39 Gunner I & F.Mk.II
152 Sqn, Warmwell, Supermarine Spitfire II
Filton Sector
79 Sqn, Pembrey, Hawker Hurricane II
137 Sqn, Charmy Down, Gloster G.39 Gunner I
595 Sqn (Target Towing), Aberporth, Fairey Battle
Exeter Sector
175 Sqn, Exeter, Hawker Typhoon F.Mk.I
587 Sqn (Target Towing), Exeter, Fairey Battle

No 11 Group, HQ Uxbridge
Kenley Sector

85 Sqn, Kenley, Hawker Tornado F.Mk.I
87 Sqn, Kenley, Hawker Tornado F.Mk.I
Biggin Hill Sector
3 Sqn, Biggin Hill, Hawker Tornado F.Mk.I
92 Sqn, Biggin Hill, Hawker Hurricane II & III (converting to Hawker Tornado F.Mk.I)
66 Sqn, Biggin Hill, Supermarine Spitfire II
72 Sqn, Biggin Hill, Supermarine Spitfire F.Mk.III
Northolt Sector
264 Sqn, Northolt, Boulton Paul Defiant (converting to Boulton Paul Nighthawk NF.Mk.I)
111 Sqn, Northolt, Hawker Tornado F.Mk.I
11 GCF (General Communications Flight), Northolt, Miles Mentor
Hornchurch Sector
41 Sqn, Hornchurch, Supermarine Spitfire II
81 Sqn, Hornchurch, Hawker Tornado F.Mk.I
1F Sqn, Hornchurch, Hawker Tornado F.Mk.I
41 Sqn, Rochford, Supermarine Spitfire I (converting to Supermarine Spitfire F.Mk.IV)
North Weald Sector
56 Sqn, North Weald, Hawker Typhoon F.Mk.I
198 Sqn, North Weald, Hawker Typhoon F.Mk.I
609 Sqn, Manston, Hawker Typhoon F.Mk.I
Debden Sector
17 Sqn, Hawker Typhoon F.Mk.I
71 Sqn, Hawker Typhoon F.Mk.I
501 Sqn, Debden, Hawker Typhoon F.Mk.I
605 Sqn, Debden, Hawker Typhoon F.Mk.I
222 Sqn, Martlesham Heath, Vickers Wellington Mk IIIF (converting to Boulton Paul Nighthawk NF.Mk.I)
26 Sqn, Martlesham Heath, Bristol Blenheim IF (converting to Westland Welkin F.Mk.I)
No. 6 OTU, Sutton Bridge, Hawker Hurricane II, Hawker Typhoon F.Mk.I and Miles Master I & II
AICF (Airborne Interception Conversion Flight), Martlesham Heath, Vickers Wellington Mk IIIF and Bristol Blenheim IF and Boulton Paul Nighthawk NF.Mk.I and Miles Master I and Vickers Wellesley
Tangmere Sector
606 Sqn, Tangmere, Supermarine Spitfire II (converting to Spitfire F.Mk.III)
607 Sqn Tangmere, Supermarine Spitfire I
601 Sqn, Westhampnett, Supermarine Spitfire I
602 Sqn, Westhampnett, Supermarine Spitfire I

No 12 Group, HQ Watnall
Duxford Sector

19 Sqn, Duxford, Supermarine Spitfire F.Mk.III
242 Sqn, Duxford, Supermarine Spitfire II
Coltishall Sector
25 Sqn, Coltishall, Supermarine Spitfire I (converting to Supermarine Spitfire F.Mk.IV)
74 Sqns, Coltishall, Supermarine Spitfire II
66 Sqn, Horsham St Faith, Boulton Paul Defiant
695 Sqn (Target Towing), Horsham St Faith, Fairey Battle
Wittering Sector
32 Sqn, Wittering, Supermarine Spitfire II
43 Sqn, Wittering, Supermarine Spitfire II
266 Sqn, Wittering, Supermarine Spitfire F.Mk.II83I
12 GCF, Wittering, Percival P.28 Proctor I
Digby Sector
29 Sqn, Digby, Gloster G.39 Gunner I
631 Sqn (Target Towing), Llanbedr, Fairey Battle and Gloster Gladiator
Church Fenton Sector
64 Sqn, Church Fenton, Supermarine Spitfire II
151 Sqn, Church Fenton, Supermarine Spitfire I
No. 4 OTU, Church Fenton, Miles Master I and Supermarine Spitfire I
603 Sqn, Ringway, Supermarine Spitfire I
600 Sqn, Leconfield, Gloster G.39 Gunner I and F.Mk.II
604 Sqn, Leconfield, Gloster G.39 Gunner I
No. 5 OTU, Ashton Down, Hawker Hurricane II & III and Supermarine Spitfire I and Miles Master I & II

No 13 Group, HQ Newcastle
Catterick Sector

54 Sqn, Catterick, Supermarine Spitfire I (converting to Supermarine Spitfire F.Mk.IV)
219 Sqn, Catterick, Gloster G.39 Gunner I
Usworth Sector
32 Sqn, Acklington, Hawker Hurricane II
Turnhouse Sector
65 Sqn, Turnhouse, Supermarine Spitfire F.Mk.III
615 Sqn, Prestwick, Supermarine Spitfire I (converting to Spitfire F.Mk.III)
263 Sqn, Drem, Gloster G.39 Gunner I
141 Sqn, Grangemouth, Boulton Paul Defiant
No. 7 OTU, Hawardern, Supermarine Spitfire I and Miles Master I
13 GCF, Drem, Percival P.28 Proctor I
553 Sqn (Target Towing), West Freugh, Fairey Battle and Hawker Hind
Dyce Sector
145 Sqn, Dyce, Hawker Hurricane II (converting to Hawker Tornado F.Mk.I)
Wick Sector
Sumburgh
Aldergrove Sector
Aldergrove

Bomber Command
HQ High Wycombe

No 1 Group, HQ Huntingdon

63 Sqn, Gt. Massingham, Fairey Balmoral B.Mk.I
12 Sqn, Swanton Morley, Fairey Balmoral B.Mk.I
195 Sqn, Methwold, Fairey Balmoral B.Mk.I
35 Sqn, Huntingdon, Fairey Balmoral B.Mk.I
12 Sqn, Wattisham, Fairey Balmoral B.Mk.I
52 Sqn, Wattisham, Fairey Balmoral B.Mk.I
20 Sqn, Watton, Hawker Henley I & II & III
501 Sqn, Watton, Hawker Henley I
6 Sqn, Andover, Hawker Henley I & II & III
611 Sqn, Benson, Hawker Henley I
612 Sqn, Benson, Hawker Henley I & II
613 Sqn, Upwood, Hawker Henley I
614 Sqn, Oulton, Hawker Henley I
502 Sqn, Old Sarum, Hawker Henley I & II
608 Sqn, Old Sarum, Hawker Henley I
504 Sqn, Thruxton, Hawker Henley I
610 Sqn, Stoney Cross, Hawker Henley I

No 2 Group, HQ Wyton
40 Sqn, Wyton, Bristol Blenheim
114 Sqn, Wyton, Bristol Blenheim
105 Sqn, Marham, DH Mosquito B.Mk.I
107 Sqn, Marham, Bristol Blenheim (converting to DH Mosquito B.Mk.I)
110 Sqn, Marham, Bristol Blenheim (converting to Hawker Henley B.Mk.III)
139 Sqn, Marham, Bristol Blenheim (converting to DH Mosquito B.Mk.I)
90 Sqn, Manston, Bristol Blenheim (converting to DH Mosquito B.Mk.I)
141 Sqn, Manston, Bristol Blenheim
108 Sqn, Bassingbourne, Bristol Blenheim
571 Sqn, Oakingham, (forming on DH Mosquito B.Mk.I)

No 3 Group, HQ Mildenhall
9 Sqn, Honington, Vickers Wellington I (converting to Vickers Wellington B.Mk.IV)
24 Sqn, Honington, Vickers Wellington II
138 Sqn, Honington, Vickers Wellington II
38 Sqn, Marham, Vickers Wellington II
115 Sqn, Marham, Vickers Wellington II
7 Sqn, Feltwell, Vickers Wellington II
70 Sqn, Feltwell, Vickers Wellington II
77 Sqn, Feltwell, Vickers Wellington III
99 Sqn, Mildenhall, Vickers Wellington III
150 Sqn, Mildenhall, Vickers Wellington III
75 Sqn, Mildenhall, Vickers Wellington B.Mk.IV
3 GCF, Marham, Percival P.28 Proctor I and Miles Mentor

No 4 Group, HQ Linton-on-Ouse
10 Sqn, Dishforth, Boulton Paul Birmingham B.Mk.I
78 Sqn, Dishforth, Boulton Paul Birmingham B.Mk.I
51 Sqn, Boscombe Down, Boulton Paul Birmingham B.Mk.I
58 Sqn, Boscombe Down, Boulton Paul Birmingham B.Mk.I
57 Sqn, Driffield, Boulton Paul Birmingham B.Mk.I
90 Sqn, Linton-on-Ouse, Vickers Wellington B.Mk.IV
199 Sqn, Linton-on-Ouse, Vickers Wellington B.Mk.IV

No 5 Group, HQ Grantham
61 Sqn, Hemswell, Handley Page Hampden (converting to Boulton Paul Birmingham B.Mk.I)
44 Sqn, Hemswell, Handley Page Hampden
49 Sqn, Scampton, Boulton Paul Birmingham B.Mk.I
83 Sqn, Scampton, Handley Page Hampden (converting to Avro Lancaster B.Mk.I)
44 Sqn, Waddington, Handley Page Hampden (converting to Bristol Buckingham B.Mk.I)
50 Sqn, Waddington, Boulton Paul Birmingham B.Mk.I
106 Sqn, Cottesmore, Handley Page Hampden (converting to Boulton Paul Birmingham B.Mk.I)
185 Sqn, Cottesmore, Handley Page Hampden
7 Sqn, Finningley, Handley Page Hampden (converting to Avro Lancaster B.Mk.I)
76 Sqn, Finningley, Handley Page Hampden
1 GCF (General Communications Flight), Finningley, Miles Mentor

No 6 Group, HQ Upper Heyford
Bomber Command Development Unit, Boscombe Down, Boulton Paul Birmingham B.Mk.I and Avro Lancaster B.Mk.I and Bristol Buckingham B.Mk.I and Fairey Balmoral B.Mk.I and DH Mosquito B.Mk.I
No.10 OTU, Abingdon, Armstrong Whitworth Whitley and Boulton Paul Birmingham and Avro Lancaster B.Mk.I
No.11 OTU, Bassingbourn, Airspeed Oxford I and Vickers Wellington I & II
No.12 OTU, Benson, Fairey Battle and Fairey Balmoral B.Mk.I and Hawker Henley I
No.13 OTU, Bicester, Airspeed Oxford I and Bristol Blenheim
No.14 OTU, Cottesmore, Handley Page Hampden and DH Mosquito B.Mk.I
No.15 OTU, Harwell, Airspeed Oxford I and Vickers Wellington I & II
No.16 OTU, Upper Heyford, Handley Page Hampden and Airspeed Oxford I
No.17 OTU, Upwood, Fairey Battle and Hawker Henley I
BCIREF (Bomber Command Instrument Rating Examination Flight), Scampton, Vickers Wellington I and Bristol Blenheim
BCIS (Bomber Command Instructors School), Finningley, Vickers Wellington II and Boulton Paul Birmingham

No 105 Group, HQ Benson
1 PR Flt, Benson, DH Mosquito PR.Mk.2 and Lockheed Model 12 Electra Junior

Army Co-Operation Command
No 7 Group, HQ Tempsford

16 Sqn, Middle Wallop, Westland Lysander II
13 Sqn, Odiham, Westland Lysander II
28 Sqn, Wimbourne, Westland Lysander II
1 Army Co-Operation Flight (ACF), Middle Wallop, Westland Lysander I
2 ACF, Old Sarum, Westland Lysander I
3 ACF, Tempsford, Westland Lysander I
4 ACF, Odiham, Westland Lysander I
5 ACF, Wimbourne, Westland Lysander I

Coastal Command
HQ Northwood

No 15 Group, HQ Ballykelly

39 Sqn, Ballykelly, Bristol Beaufort GR.Mk.I
229 Sqn, Castle Archdale, Supermarine Stranraer
278 Sqn, Castle Archdale, Vickers-Supermarine Sea Otter
280 Sqn A Flt (Air-Sea Rescue), Castle Archdale, Vickers-Supermarine Sea Otter
1565 Flt (Meteorology), Aldergrove, Bristol Beaufort GR.Mk.I

No 16 Group, HQ North Coates
48 Sqn, Manston, Avro Anson
220 Sqn Bradwell, Avro Anson
206 Sqn, Detling, Avro Anson
50 Sqn, Detling, Avro Anson
185 Sqn, Bircham Newton, Handley Page Hereford GR.Mk.II
254 Sqn, North Coates, Bristol Beaufort GR.Mk.I
42 Sqn, Thorney Island, Bristol Beaufort GR.Mk.I
280 Sqn B Flt (Air-Sea Rescue), Thorny Island, Vickers-Supermarine Sea Otter
1561 Flt (Meteorology), Langham, Handley Page Hereford GR.Mk.II
1562 Flt (Meteorology), Langham, Gloster Sea Gladiator
ATDU (Aircraft Torpedo Development Unit), Gosport, Bristol Beaufort GR.Mk.I and Handley Page Hereford GR.Mk.II and Fairey Barracuda TBR.Mk.II
16 GCF (General Communications Flight), Rochester, Percival P.28 Proctor I and Miles Mentor

No 18 Group, HQ Leuchars
143 Sqn, Leuchars, Bristol Beaufort GR.Mk.I
226 Sqn, Wick, Supermarine Stranraer
280 Sqn C Flt (Air-Sea Rescue), Wick, Vickers-Supermarine Sea Otter
202 Sqn, Sullom Voe, Supermarine Stranraer
211 Sqn, Oban, Short Sunderland II & MR.Mk.III
212 Sqn, Oban, Short Sunderland II & MR.Mk.IV
1563 Flt (Meteorology), Leuchars, Bristol Beaufort GR.Mk.I
18 GCF, Leuchars, Percival P.28 Proctor I

No 17 Group, HQ Thornaby (Training)
Coastal Command Development Unit, Ballykelly, Avro Anson and Bristol Beaufort and Handley Page Hereford and Vickers-Supermarine Sea Otter
No.1 OTU, Thornaby, Bristol Beaufort and Airspeed Oxford I & II
No.2 OTU, Chivenor, Avro Anson and Bristol Beaufort and Airspeed Oxford I & II
No.3 OTU, Stranraer, Supermarine Sea Otter and Supermarine Stranraer and Shorts Sunderland GR.Mk.IV
CCFIS (Coastal Command Flight Instructors School), Tain, Bristol Beaufort GR.Mk.I and Avro Anson and Miles Master II
No.1 SGR (School of General Reconnaissance), Leuchars, Avro Anson and Handley Page Hereford GR.Mk.II

No 19 Group, HQ Pembroke Dock
205 Sqn, Mount Batten, Short Sunderland I & II
204 Sqn, Mount Batten, Blackburn B.20 Boston MR.Mk.I
728 Fleet Requirements Sqn, Mount Batten, Vickers-Supermarine Sea Otter
209 Sqn, Pembroke Dock, Short Sunderland MR.Mk.IV
210 Sqn, Pembroke Dock, Short Sunderland II and MR.Mk.IV
201 Sqn, Calshot, Blackburn B.20 Boston MR.Mk.I & II
225 Sqn, Calshot, Supermarine Stranraer
143 Sqn, Chivenor, Handley Page Hereford GR.Mk.I
172 Sqn, Chivenor, Vickers Wellington GR.Mk.VI
144 Sqn, St.Eval, Handley Page Hereford GR.Mk.I
179 Sqn, St.Eval, Vickers Wellington GR.Mk.VI
86 Sqn, Beaulieu, Bristol Beaufort GR.Mk.I
236 Sqn, Predannock, Bristol Beaufort GR.Mk.I
1564 Flt (Meteorology), Chivenor, Handley Page Hereford GR.Mk.I
19 GCF, Portreath, Percival P.28 Proctor I

No 30 Group, HQ Gibraltar
203 Sqn, Gibraltar, Short Sunderland I & II & GR.Mk.IV
224 Sqn, Gibraltar, Vickers Wellington GR.Mk.VI
1401 Flt (Meteorology), Gibraltar, Gloster Sea Gladiator and Short Sunderland I

Transport Command
HQ Hendon

No 10 Group, HQ Lyneham

King’s Flight, Hendon, Airspeed AS.6 Envoy
MCS (Metropolitan Communications Squadron), Hendon, Airspeed AS.5 Courier and De Havilland Dragon Rapide and Percival P.28 Proctor I
31 Sqn, Tempsford, De Havilland Hertfordshire
70 Sqn, Lyneham, De Havilland Hertfordshire
295 Sqn, Oakington, De Havilland Hertfordshire
296 Sqn, Stradishall, De Havilland Hertfordshire
299 Sqn, Rivenhall, Airspeed AS.7 Consul (ambulance)
ADLS (Air Delivery Letter Service), Northolt, GCF, Percival P.28 Proctor I
4 GCF (General Communications Flight), Full Sutton, Percival P.28 Proctor I
5 GCF, Earls Colne, Percival P.28 Proctor I and Miles Mentor
Central Landing School, Ringway, Armstrong Whitworth Whitley II and De Havilland Hertfordshire

Training Command
HQ Cranwell

No 20 Group (Elementary Training), HQ Cranwell

1 EFTS (Elementary Flying Training School), Panshangar, DH Tiger Moth
2 EFTS, Yatesbury, DH Tiger Moth
3 EFTS, Shellingford, DH Tiger Moth
4 EFTS, Brough, DH Tiger Moth and Miles Magister
5 EFTS, Hanworth, DH Tiger Moth
6 EFTS, Sywell, DH Tiger Moth and Miles Magister
7 EFTS, Desford, DH Tiger Moth
8 EFTS, Woodley, DH Tiger Moth and Miles Magister
9 EFTS, Elmdon, DH Tiger Moth
10 EFTS, Filton, DH Tiger Moth
11 EFTS, Perth, DH Tiger Moth
Cambridge University Air Squadron, Cambridge, DH Tiger Moth
Oxford University Air Squadron, Kidlington, DH Tiger Moth
Manchester University Air Squadron, Barton, DH Tiger Moth
Birmingham University Air Squadron, Castle Bromwich, DH Tiger Moth
Leeds University Air Squadron, Church Fenton, DH Tiger Moth
Durham University Air Squadron, Usworth, DH Tiger Moth
Nottingham University Air Squadron, Newton, DH Tiger Moth
London University Air Squadron, Fair Oaks, DH Tiger Moth
Glasgow University Air Squadron, Abbotsinch, DH Tiger Moth
Aberdeen University Air Squadron, Dyce, DH Tiger Moth
St Andrews University Air Squadron, Leuchars, DH Tiger Moth
Edinburgh University Air Squadron, Turnhouse, DH Tiger Moth
Queens University Air Squadron, Sydenham, DH Tiger Moth
6 GCF, Cranwell, Percival P.28 Proctor I and Miles Mentor

No 21 Group (Basic and Acclimatisation Training), HQ Cranwell
RAF College, Cranwell, DH Tiger Moth and Miles Magister and Miles Master II
CFS (Central Flying School), Cranwell, DH Tiger Moth and Miles Magister and Miles Master I and Airspeed Oxford I
1 SFTS (Service Flying Training School), Netheravon, Miles Master I & II and Hawker Hurricane I
2 SFTS, Lyneham, Airspeed Oxford I & II
5 SFTS, Ternhill, Airspeed Oxford and Miles Master I
7 SFTS, Sutton Bridge, Miles Master I & II and Supermarine Spitfire I
8 SFTS, Weyburn, Miles Master I & II and Miles Magister
10 SFTS, Little Rissington, Miles Master I and Hawker Hurricane I & II
14 SFTS, Kinloss, Airspeed Oxford I and Miles Master I & II
7 GCF, Ternhill, Percival P.28 Proctor I

No 23 Group (Basic and Acclimatisation Training), HQ Hullavington
3 SFTS, South Cerney, Airspeed Oxford I and Hawker Hind and Hawker Hector
6 SFTS, Manston, Miles Master I & II and Miles Magister
9 SFTS, Calveley, Airspeed Oxford I and Hawker Hector and Fairey Battle
11 SFTS, Wittering, Airspeed Oxford I and Bristol Blenheim
12 SFTS, Grantham, Airspeed Oxford I & II and Fairey Battle
ECFS (Empire Central Flying School), Hullavington, Miles Master II and Airspeed Oxford II and DH Tiger Moth and Hawker Hurricane I and Fairey Battle
BATF (Beam Approach Training Flight), Watchfield, Airspeed Oxford II and Miles Master I and Vickers Wellington I
8 GCF, South Cerney, Percival P.28 Proctor I

No 25 Group (Specialist Training), HQ Warmwell
1 FIS (Fighter Instructors School), Upavon, Miles Master I and Hawker Hurricane II and Supermarine Spitfire I
Empire Test Pilots School, Odiham, Miles Master II and Airspeed Oxford II
Air Fighting Development Establishment, Duxford, Supermarine Spitfire II and Hawker Tornado F.Mk.I and Hawker Typhoon F.Mk.I and Westland Welkin F.Mk.I
Central Gunnery School, Warmwell, Airspeed Oxford I and Airspeed Queen Wasp and Vickers Wellington I and Hawker Hurricane II
No.1 AGS (Air Gunnery School), Leconfield, Bristol Blenheim and Airspeed Oxford I and Fairey Battle and Hawker Hurricane I & II
No.2 AGS, Millom, Bristol Blenheim and Airspeed Oxford I
No.3 AGS, Andreas, Fairey Battle and Miles Master I and Hawker Hurricane I & II
No.4 AGS, Bradwell Bay, Bristol Blenheim and Fairey Battle and Hawker Hurricane I
Empire Air Navigation School, Shawbury, Airspeed Oxford I & II
No.1 ANS (Air Navigation School), Andover, Avro Prefect and Miles Magister and Airspeed Oxford I & II
No.2 ANS, Swanton Morley, Airspeed Oxford II and Bristol Blenheim
No.3 ANS, Topcliffe, Airspeed Oxford II and Bristol Blenheim
No.4 ANS, Driffield, Airspeed Oxford II and Miles Magister and Miles Master I

Technical Training Command (No 27 Group), HQ Halton
School of Technical Training, Halton
No.1 Electrical and Wireless School, Cranwell, D.H.89 Dominie and Percival P.30 Proctor II)
No.2 Electrical and Wireless School, Yatesbury, D.H.89 Dominie and Percival P.30 Proctor II)
No.3 Electrical and Wireless School, Compton Bassett, Percival P.30 Proctor II
TTCCF (Technical Training Command Communications Flight), Halton, Percival P.28 Proctor I
RAF Staff College, Andover, D.H. Tiger Moth and Miles Magister and Miles Mentor

Maintenance Command
7 GCF, Andover, Percival P.28 Proctor I
1448 Flight (Radio Calibration), Halton, D.H. Tiger Moth and DH Dragon Rapide and Bristol Blenheim and Flettner Fl-282

Royal Aircraft Establishment
RAE, Farnborough, Supermarine Spitfire F.Mk.III & F.Mk.IV and Hawker Tornado F.Mk.I and Hawker Typhoon F.Mk.I & IIA and Hawker Tempest I & II and Gloster Gunner F.Mk.II and Westland Welkin and Boulton Paul Nighthawk and Vickers Wellington GR.Mk.VI and DH Mosquito B.Mk.I and Bristol Buckingham and Blackburn B.28 and Bristol Type 159 and Bristol Type 138 and Gloster SS.40 and Gloster SS.42 and Supermarine Type 323 and Handley Page HP.75 and Miles M.35 and Flettner Fl-282
Refuelling Trials Flight, Armstrong Whitworth Whitley and Boulton Paul P.90 Birmingham and Bristol Blenheim
High Altitude Flight, Westland Welkin and Spitfire F.Mk.III and General Aircraft Monospar
High-Speed Flight, Supermarine Spitfire F.Mk.III & F.Mk.IV
Rotary Wing Flight, Flettner Fl-282

A&AEE (Aircraft & Armaments Experimental Establishment), Martlesham Heath, Supermarine Spitfire F.Mk.III and Hawker Tornado F.Mk.I and IIA and Hawker Typhoon F.Mk.I and Gloster Reaper and Boulton Paul Nighthawk and Vickers Wellington Mk IIIF and Hawker Henley B.Mk.III and DH Mosquito B.Mk.I plus for MAEE Fairey Firefly FN.Mk.I and Gloster SS.42

MAEE (Marine Aircraft Experimental Establishment), Felixstowe, Blackburn Firebrand and Short Sunderland MR.Mk.IV and Blackburn Boston MR.Mk.I & II

Middle East Air Force (MEAF)
HQ Cairo

No 61 Group, HQ Deversoir, Egypt

73 Sqn, Luqa (Malta), Hawker Hurricane II & III (converting to Spitfire F.Mk.III)
1435 Flt, Luqa, Supermarine Spitfire F.Mk.III
217 Sqn, Luqa, Bristol Beaufort GR.Mk.I
202 Sqn, Valetta (Malta), Blackburn Boston MR.Mk.I
240 Sqn, Valetta, Supermarine Stranraer
281 Sqn A Flt (Air-Sea Rescue), Valetta, Vickers-Supermarine Sea Otter
6 Sqn, Fayid (Egypt), Hawker Tornado F.Mk.I
4 Sqn, Fayid, Westland Lysander II
90 Sqn, Fayid, Bristol Blenheim
55 Sqn, Fuka (Egypt), Bristol Blenheim
17 Sqn, Deversoir (Egypt), Supermarine Spitfire II
80 Sqn, Deversoir, Supermarine Spitfire II (converting to Supermarine Spitfire F.Mk.IV)
147 Sqn, Helwan (Egypt), Supermarine Spitfire F.Mk.III
15 Sqn, Kabrit (Egypt), Hawker Henley I & II
241 Sqn, Alexandria (Egypt), Supermarine Stranraer
22 Sqn, Alexandria, Bristol Beaufort GR.Mk.I
277 Fleet Requirements Sqn, Alexandria, Vickers-Supermarine Sea Otter
281 Sqn B Flt (Air-Sea Rescue), Valetta, Vickers-Supermarine Sea Otter
88 Sqn, El Genina (Egypt), Fairey Balmoral B.Mk.I
126 Sqn, El Genina, Fairey Balmoral B.Mk.I
1567 Flt (Meteorology), El Genina, Gloster Sea Gladiator
216 Sqn, Almaza (Egypt), Bristol Bermuda
117 Sqn, Cairo West (Egypt), Bristol Bermuda
9 GCF (General Communications Flight) Cairo West, Percival P.28 Proctor I
MECF (Middle East Communications Flight), Heliopolis (Egypt), Percival P.28 Proctor I and Miles Mentor
1449 Flight (Radio Calibration), Cairo West, D.H. Tiger Moth and DH Dragon Rapide and Bristol Blenheim
37 Sqn, Khartoum (Sudan), Vickers Wellington I
1566 Flt (Meteorology), Khartoum, Hawker Hurricane II and Gloster Gladiator
2 FIS (Fighter Instructor School), Deversoir, Airspeed Oxford I & II and Miles Magister and Hawker Hurricane I
4 SFTS (Service Flying Training School), Abu Sueir, Hawker Hart and Airspeed Oxford I & II
13 SFTS, Deversoir, Miles Master I and Miles Magister
No.5 AGS (Air Gunnery School), Fuka, Airspeed Oxford I and Fairey Battle and Hawker Hurricane I and Gloster Gladiator
No.6 AGS, Almaza, Hawker Hart and Hawker Hector and Fairey Battle and Gloster Gladiator
No.5 ANS (Air Navigation School), Almaza, Airspeed Oxford I & II
No.6 ANS, Kabrit, Airspeed Oxford I and Fairey Battle and Miles Master II

No 62 Group, HQ Habbaniyah, Iraq
46 Sqn, Habbaniyah (Iraq), Hawker Hurricane II & III
94 Sqn, Habbaniyah, Supermarine Spitfire I (converting to Spitfire F.Mk.III)
30 Sqn, Habbaniyah, Bristol Blenheim
7 ACF (Army Co-Operation Flight), Habbaniyah, Westland Lysander II
14 GCF, Habbaniyah, Percival P.28 Proctor I
1453 Flight (Radio Calibration), Habbaniyah, D.H. Tiger Moth and Bristol Blenheim
1569 Flt (Meteorology), Habbaniyah, Gloster Gladiator and Hawker Hurricane I
148 Sqn, Basrah (Iraq), Fairey Balmoral B.Mk.I
New airfields for the RAF are being constructed at Al Amarah, Al Jarrah, Balad (near Baghdad) and Rutba near the Jordanian border.
23 Sqn, Petah Tiqva (Palestine), Hawker Hurricane II
5 Sqn, Ramat David (Palestine), Westland Lysander II
27 Sqn, Ramat David, Westland Lysander II
75 Sqn, Aqir (Palestine), Vickers Wellington II
149 Sqn, Aqir, Vickers Wellington II
84 Sqn, Aqir, Bristol Blenheim (converting to Hawker Henley B.Mk.III)
113 Sqn, Lydda (Palestine), Bristol Blenheim (converting to Fairey Balmoral B.Mk.I)
10 GCF, Lydda, Percival P.28 Proctor I
1568 Flt (Meteorology), Lydda, Gloster Gladiator
242 Sqn, Haifa (Palestine), Supermarine Stranraer
RAF Middle East Staff School, Haifa (Palestine), DH Tiger Moth and Miles Magister and Supermarine Spitfire I
60 Sqn, Amman (Transjordan), Westland Lysander II
47 Sqn, Amman, Bristol Beaufort GR.Mk.I

No 63 Group, HQ Muscat, Oman
243 Sqn, Bahrain, Supermarine Stranraer
8 ACF, Muscat (Oman), Westland Lysander II
228 Sqn, Muscat, Short Sunderland II
Oman Communications Flight, Muscat, Airspeed AS.6 Envoy
14 Sqn, Khormaksar (Aden), Fairey Balmoral B.Mk.I
208 Sqn, Aden, Blackburn B.20 Boston MR.Mk.II
1570 Flt (Meteorology), Khormaksar, Vickers Wellesley
Aden Communications Flight, Khormaksar, DH Dragon Rapide and DH Tiger Moth

No 64 Group, HQ Bela, Baluchistan
34 Sqn, Bela, Hawker Hurricane II & III
69 Sqn, Bela, Hawker Henley B.Mk.II & B.Mk.III
249 Sqn, Pasni, Supermarine Stranraer
Baluchistan Communications Flight, Bela, DH Dragon Rapide and Airspeed Oxford II and Percival P.38 Proctor I
1579 Flt (Meteorology), Bela, Bristol Blenheim and Hawker Hurricane I

Far East Air Force (FEAF)
HQ, Seletar

No 70 Group, HQ Meiktilla, Burma

30 Sqn, Meiktilla (Burma), Hawker Hurricane II & III
3 Sqn, Meiktilla, Hawker Typhoon F.Mk.I
82 Sqn, Meiktilla, (forming on Hawker Henley B.Mk.III)
10 ACF (Army Co-Operation Flight), Meiktilla, Westland Lysander II
9 ACF, Mingaladon (Burma), Westland Lysander II
20 GCF (General Communications Flight), Mingaladon, Percival P.28 Proctor I
21 GCF, Mingaladon, Airspeed Consul
247 Sqn, Rangoon (Burma), Supermarine Stranraer
1300 Flt (Meteorology), Rangoon, Hawker Hurricane I
1340 Flt (Insect Control), Pegu (Burma), Hawker Hind and Bristol Blenheim

No 71 Group, HQ Butterworth, Malaya
267 Sqn, Kallang (Singapore), Bristol Bermuda
271 Sqn, Singapore, Bristol Bermuda
33 Sqn, Seletar (Malaysia), Hawker Hurricane II (converting to Hawker Tornado F.Mk.I)
11 Sqn, Seletar, Bristol Blenheim (converting to Fairey Balmoral B.Mk.I)
36 Sqn, Seletar, Bristol Blenheim (converting to Fairey Balmoral B.Mk.I)
219 Sqn, Seletar, Short Sunderland I & II
230 Sqn, Seletar, Short Sunderland II & GR.Mk.IV
279 Fleet Requirements Sqn, Seletar, Vickers-Supermarine Sea Otter
112 Sqn, Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia), Hawker Hurricane II & III
54 Sqn, Kuala Lumpur, Supermarine Spitfire I (converting to Spitfire F.Mk.III)
2 Sqn, Kuala Lumpur, Westland Lysander I
15 GCF, Kuala Lumpur, Percival P.28 Proctor I
60 Sqn, Tengah (Malaya), Fairey Balmoral B.Mk.I
223 Sqn, Tengah, (converting to Vickers Wellington GR.Mk.VI)
1458 Flight (Radio Calibration), Tengah, D.H. Tiger Moth and Bristol Blenheim
1301 Flt (Meteorology), Tengah, Vickers Wellesley and Hawker Hurricane I
101 Sqn, Butterworth (Malaya), Vickers Wellington II (converting to Vickers Wellington B.Mk.IV)
166 Sqn, Butterworth, Vickers Wellington III
100 Sqn, Butterworth, Bristol Beaufort GR.Mk.I

No 72 Group, HQ Kuching, Sarawak
12 ACF, Kuching (Sarawak), Westland Lysander II
20 GCF, Kuching, Percival P.28 Proctor I
1302 Flt (Meteorology), Kuching, Vickers Wellesley
244 Sqn, Kundat (Sarawak), Supermarine Stranraer
207 Sqn, Kundat, Blackburn B.20 Boston MR.Mk.II
248 Sqn, Honiara (Solomon Islands), forming on Short Sunderland GR.Mk.IV
59 Sqn, Guadalcanal Field (Solomon Islands), forming on Bristol Beaufort GR.Mk.I

AHQ Hong Kong
81 Sqn, Kai Tak (Hong Kong), Hawker Hurricane II & III
245 Sqn, Kai Tak, Supermarine Stranraer
11 ACF, Kai Tak, Westland Lysander II
8107 Flt FAA, Kai Tak & HMS Drake, Cochrane, Pellew and Howard, Fairey Swordfish

RAF Africa, HQ Deversoir

AHQ East Africa, HQ Eastleigh, Kenya

45 Sqn, Eastleigh (Kenya), Fairey Balmoral B.Mk.I
1671 Flt (Meteorology), Eastleigh, Vickers Wellesley
AL Flt (Anti-Locust), Eastleigh, Hawker Hind and Bristol Blenheim and DH Tiger Moth
270 Sqn, Kpevu (Kenya), Short Sunderland MR.Mk.III
Kenyan Air Training Group, Nairobi, DH Tiger Moth and Miles Magister

AHQ West Africa, HQ Lagos, Nigeria
95 Sqn, Lagos (Nigeria), Short Sunderland I & II
1672 Flt (Meteorology), Ikeja (Nigeria), Vickers Wellesley

AHQ Caribbean, HQ Kingston, Jamaica
6 ACF (Army Co-Operation Flight), Kingston (Jamaica), Westland Lysander II
1432 Flt, Nassau (Bahamas), Short Sunderland I
1673 Flt (Meteorology), Kingston, Vickers Wellesley
893 Sqn FAA Kingston & HMS Pegasus, Griffin, Gallant, Gibraltar, Gladiator, Glory and Goliath, Supermarine-Vickers Sea Otter and Fairey Seafox
758 Sqn FAA Air Observers School, Nassau (Bahamas), Fairey Swordfish and Percival Proctor II and Avro Anson
761 Sqn FAA Air Observers School, Bermuda, Supermarine Stranraer and Supermarine Sea Otter
1674 Flt (Meteorology), Nassau, Vickers Wellesley
246 Sqn, Port Stanley (Falkland Islands), Supermarine Stranraer

Fleet Air Arm
HQ Yeovilton

No 50 Group, HQ Machrihanish

802 Sqn, Ayr & HMS Ark Royal, Gloster Gannet (converting to Fairey Firefly FN.Mk.II)
804 Sqn, Yeovilton, Fairey Firefly FN.Mk.I
805 Sqn, Machrihanish & HMS Majestic, Gloster Gannet (converting to Fairey Firefly FN.Mk.I)
806 Sqn, Machrihanish & HMS Ark Royal, Gloster Gannet
807 Sqn, Nutts Corner & HMS Majestic, Gloster Gannet
880 Sqn, Burscough & HMS Ocean, Gloster Gannet
881 Sqn, Burscough & HMS Ocean, Gloster Gannet
882 Sqn, Machrihanish & HMS Theseus, Gloster Gannet (converting to Fairey Firefly FN.Mk.I)
883 Sqn, Machrihanish & HMS Theseus, Gloster Gannet
884 Sqn, Ayr, Fairey Firefly FN.Mk.I
885 Sqn, Nutts Corner & HMS Triumph, Fairey Firefly FN.Mk.I
886 Sqn, Nutts Corner & HMS Triumph, Fairey Firefly FN.Mk.I
887 Sqn, Yeovilton & HMS Hercules, Fairey Firefly FN.Mk.I
888 Sqn, Yeovilton & HMS Hercules, Fairey Firefly FN.Mk.I
811 Sqn, Ayr & HMS Ark Royal, Fairey Barracuda TBR.Mk.I
832 Sqn, Ayr & HMS Ark Royal, Fairey Barracuda TBR.Mk.I
833 Sqn, Rattray & HMS Ark Royal, Fairey Barracuda TBR.Mk.I & II
834 Sqn, Fearn & HMS Majestic, Fairey Barracuda TBR.Mk.I
835 Sqn, Fearn & HMS Majestic, Fairey Barracuda TBR.Mk.I
836 Sqn, Fearn & HMS Majestic, Fairey Barracuda TBR.Mk.I
850 Sqn, Eglinton & HMS Ocean, Fairey Barracuda TBR.Mk.I
851 Sqn, Eglinton & HMS Ocean, Fairey Barracuda TBR.Mk.I
852 Sqn, Ford & HMS Theseus, Fairey Barracuda TBR.Mk.I
853 Sqn, Ford & HMS Theseus, Fairey Barracuda TBR.Mk.I
854 Sqn, Ford, Fairey Barracuda TBR.Mk.I
855 Sqn, Eglinton & HMS Triumph, Fairey Barracuda TBR.Mk.II
856 Sqn, Rattray & HMS Triumph, Fairey Barracuda TBR.Mk.II
857 Sqn, Gosport & HMS Hercules, Fairey Barracuda TBR.Mk.II
858 Sqn, Gosport & HMS Hercules, Fairey Barracuda TBR.Mk.II
890 Sqn, Gosport & HMS Lion, Saint Vincent, Trafalgar, Agincourt, Nile, Victorious, King George V, Venerable, Vanguard and Vigilant, Vickers-Supermarine Sea Otter and Fairey Swordfish
891 Sqn, Gosport & HMS Howe, Princess Royal, Princess Mary and Kent, Fairey Swordfish
892 Sqn, Gosport & HMS Charybdis, Naiad, Arethusa, Aurora, Ajax, Scylla, Dido, Euryalus, Phoebe, Sirius, Lancaster, Leonidas, Latona, Leviathan, Leander, Largs, Jamaica, Bermuda, Gambia, Nigeria and Mauritius, Fairey Seafox
799 Sqn NAFS (Naval Advanced Flying School), Henstridge, Miles Master I and Gloster Sea Gladiator and Gloster Gannet and Fairey Barracuda
776 Sqn (Naval Air Fighting Development Unit), Yeovilton, Gloster Gannet and Fairey Firefly and Fairey Barracuda and Gloster Skipper FSN.Mk.II
758 Sqn (No.1 Instrument Training Flight), Eglinton, Airspeed Oxford II and Miles Master I
767 Sqn (Deck Landing Training School), East Haven, Fairey Swordfish and Fairey Barracuda and Gloster Gannet and Fairey Firefly and Gloster Skipper FSN.Mk.I
709 Sqn NAAS (Naval Air Armaments School), St Merryn, Fairey Swordfish and Gloster Skipper FSN.Mk.II
766 Sqn (No.1 Naval OTU), Inskip, Miles Master I and Gloster Gannet
785 Sqn (No.2 Naval OUT), Crail, Avro Anson and Fairey Swordfish and Fairey Barracuda
717 Sqn (TBR Course), Ford, Fairey Barracuda TBR.Mk.I
750 Sqn (Observer School), Rattray, Fairey Swordfish
701 Sqn FAA GCF (General Communications Flight), Yeovilton, Percival P.28 Proctor I and Airspeed AS.6 Envoy and Fairey Swordfish
No.1 NTTU (Naval Target Towing Unit), Tain, Fairey Swordfish
860 Sqn, Cardington, Columbia Class HMAS No.1 Solaria and HMAS No.2 Olympia
861 Sqn, Howden, SSP Class HMAS No.3 and RS Class HMAS No.4 & No.5 and RSR Class HMAS No.6

No 51 Group, HQ Alexandria
800 Sqn, Hal Far & HMS Swiftsure, Gloster Gannet
810 Sqn, Alexandria & HMS Swiftsure, Gloster Gannet
812 Sqn, Hal Far & HMS Bulwark, Gloster Gannet (converting to Fairey Firefly FN.Mk.I)
813 Sqn, Kasfareet (Egypt) & HMS Bulwark, Fairey Firefly FN.Mk.I
820 Sqn, Hal Far & HMS Swiftsure, Fairey Swordfish (converting to Fairey Barracuda TBR.Mk.II)
822 Sqn, Hal Far & HMS Swiftsure, Fairey Swordfish (converting to Fairey Barracuda TBR.Mk.II)
821 Sqn, Kasfareet (Egypt) & HMS Swiftsure, Fairey Swordfish (converting to Fairey Barracuda TBR.Mk.II)
823 Sqn, Kasfareet (Egypt) & HMS Bulwark, Fairey Barracuda TBR.Mk.II
824 Sqn, Alexandria & HMS Bulwark, Fairey Barracuda TBR.Mk.I
825 Sqn, Alexandria & HMS Bulwark, Fairey Barracuda TBR.Mk.I
894 Sqn, Alexandria & HMS Queen Elizabeth, Barham, Valiant, Malaya, Warspite, Anson, Benbow, Exmouth, Duncan, Norfolk, Fairey Swordfish
895 Sqn, Alexandria & HMS Kenya, Kelly, Kingfisher, Kelvin, Khedive, Kashmir, Newfoundland, Uganda, Fiji and Imperial, Fairey Seafox
8042 Flt, Gibraltar & HMS Infidel, Icarus, Intrepid, Integrity and Intruder, Fairey Swordfish
8047 Flt, Hal Far & HMS Jubilant, Jackdaw, Jupiter, Jason, Joyful and Juno, Fairey Seafox
8004 Flt, Muscat & HMS Forth and Suffolk, Vickers Supermarine Sea Otter
794 Sqn (No.1 Naval Air Gunnery School), Hal Far, Gloster Sea Gladiator and Gloster Gannet and Fairey Swordfish
No.2 NTTU (Naval Target Towing Unit), Hal Far, Fairey Swordfish
No.4 NTTU (Naval Target Towing Unit), Alexandria, Fairey Swordfish

No 52 Group, HQ Sembawang
801 Sqn, Sembawang (Malaya) & HMS Eagle, Fairey Firefly FN.Mk.I
803 Sqn, Sembawang & HMS Eagle, Fairey Firefly FN.Mk.I
814 Sqn, Sembawang & HMS Warrior, Gloster Gannet
815 Sqn, Sembawang & HMS Warrior, Gloster Gannet
817 Sqn, Sembawang & HMS Eagle, Gloster Skipper FSN.Mk.I
826 Sqn, Changi (Malaya) & HMS Warrior, Fairey Swordfish (converting to Fairey Barracuda TBR.Mk.II)
827 Sqn, Changi & HMS Warrior, Fairey Swordfish (converting to Fairey Barracuda TBR.Mk.II)
828 Sqn, Changi & HMS Warrior, Fairey Swordfish (converting to Fairey Barracuda TBR.Mk.II)
829 Sqn, Sembawang & HMS Eagle, Gloster Skipper FSN.Mk.II
830 Sqn, Sembawang & HMS Eagle, Gloster Skipper FSN.Mk.II
831 Sqn, Sembawang & HMS Eagle, Gloster Skipper FSN.Mk.II
896 Sqn, Seletar & HMS Sussex, London, Devonshire, Cornwall, Hannibal, Hercules, Hunter, Hotspur, Hero, Hermione, Cleopatra, Argonaut, Bellona, Diadem and Bonaventure, Fairey Swordfish
757 Sqn (No.2 Instrument Training Flight), Sembawang, Fairey Swordfish and Fairey Barracuda
1305 Flt (Meteorology), Sembawang, Fairey Swordfish and Gloster Sea Gladiator
Sembawang CCF, Sembawang, Percival Proctor I and DH Tiger Moth and Fairey Swordfish
No.3 NTTU (Naval Target Towing Unit), Changi, Fairey Swordfish

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Hood" (Jul 3rd 2011, 10:46am)

Sunday, July 3rd 2011, 1:25am

You've been busy....... 8o 8o 8o

Thursday, July 28th 2011, 10:42pm

A handy list of first flights this year for IC info purposes;

March 3: Vickers Supmarine Spitfire F.Mk.IV

May 15: Gloster E.28/37

May 23: Martin-Baker M.B.5

June 7: Vickers Wellington Vb

June 11: Handley Page H.P.75 Manx

July 5: Avro 685 York

July 22: Miles M.39

July 28: de Havilland DH.103 Hornet

September 17: Vickers Wellington V

December 18: Short S.32 Sandringham II

Saturday, October 29th 2011, 11:29am

Just to add a little more to the technical aspects of the sim in regards to overall numbers. Due to Brock's prodding I have now complied a spreadhseet for RAF aircraft, I've made the calculations for 1942, rather than 41 since half of the 41 year is already past...

Frontline Total (All Types): 6127
2nd Line Service (All Types Used in other roles, eg meteroology flights, OTUs, squadron hacks etc): 1171
Stored/ Reserve: 2465 (acually probably less due to exports from stock, rebuilds, scraps etc)
RAF Pilot Total: 8003
RAF Aircrew Total: 9186

FAA
Frontline: 1066
2nd Line: 342
Stored/ Reserve: 430
Pilots: 1408
Aircrew: 1385

Tuesday, November 8th 2011, 6:00am

Hi to all i am new to this community can anybody tell me which application software are you using for the designing purpose?

Thursday, November 10th 2011, 5:56pm

Quoted

Originally posted by rustyfelix
Hi to all i am new to this community can anybody tell me which application software are you using for the designing purpose?

Firstly, let me gently point out that this isn't the proper place to ask this question. You should post in the General Discussions area. Secondly, if you are referring to warships we use a program called SpringSharp. We utilize the 2.1 version, as version 3 is in perpetual beta as apparently the programmers have ceased work on it.

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Thursday, November 10th 2011, 10:16pm

Quoted

Originally posted by rustyfelix

Welcome to the board!

If you refer to aircraft design, then planbuilder might be the tool of your choice.