You are not logged in.

Sunday, February 13th 2011, 1:24am

Constelación Viento

This is a little design I worked up. Not sure if it'll be built yet, or when; but it's an ab-initio training aircraft to replace Chile's Avro 504s.

Quoted

[SIZE=4]Constelación Viento / Constelación G3C Viento Touring Motor Glider[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Specifications[/SIZE]
Wingspan: 58 ft (17.7m)
Length: 27 ft 4 in (8.33m)
Height: 5 ft 6 in (1.7m)
Wing Area: 209.9 ft² (19.5 m²)
Empty weight: 1,510 lbs (685 kg)
Gross weight: 1,984 lbs (900 kg)
Max Takeoff Weight: 2,182.6 lbs (990 kg)
Engine: 1 × Austral I360 4-cylinder air-cooled piston engine (115 hp)
Crew and Passengers: 1 pilot + 1 passenger in side-by-side seating

[SIZE=3]Performance[/SIZE]
Never exceed speed: 138 mph (222 kph)
Max speed: 95 mph (152.9 kph)
Cruise speed: 80 mph (128.75 kph)
Wing Loading: 10.4 lb/ft²
Range: 180 miles (289 km)
Service ceiling: 7,546 ft (2,300 m)

[SIZE=3]Armament[/SIZE]
- Not applicable

[SIZE=3]Notes[/SIZE]
- The Viento is designed to be a slow, stable aircraft for introductory flight training and civilian aviation. Intended to be more efficient than other available light aircraft, it is heavily based on the Constelación G2C Condor sailplane. The Viento uses strengthened glider wings, but has a regular engine layout and a capacity of two persons sitting side by side. With the engine off, it can soar (though not as well as a purpose-built glider).

Wednesday, February 16th 2011, 11:58am

There's a difference between "soaring" and "gliding," and I could be wrong but I'm not aware of any sailplane that can truly "soar" before fiberglass sailplanes.

On the other hand, an ab-intro trainer based on a glider is interesting.

Wednesday, February 16th 2011, 3:17pm

Quoted

Originally posted by klagldsf
There's a difference between "soaring" and "gliding," and I could be wrong but I'm not aware of any sailplane that can truly "soar" before fiberglass sailplanes.

It soars by the power of Greyskull!

More seriously, I was once informed that the proper term was "soaring" rather than "gliding", so in general that's what I've used. If that's wrong, I welcome correction (citation needed).

Wednesday, February 16th 2011, 3:32pm

In gliding flight your are descending, and the only external force acting on the aircraft is gravity. In soaring, you are using thermals, etc to counteract gravity and stay up. Pre-fiberglass gliders can soar, but it is more difficult.

Wednesday, February 16th 2011, 4:01pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Desertfox
In gliding flight your are descending, and the only external force acting on the aircraft is gravity. In soaring, you are using thermals, etc to counteract gravity and stay up. Pre-fiberglass gliders can soar, but it is more difficult.

Ah, thanks.

In response, I'd probably say that the Viento is designed to be operated 80-90% of the time with the engine running; I'd presume it could soar, but is not really designed to achieve that, then.