You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Tuesday, February 1st 2011, 10:19pm

In Stone or Sand - OOC

Please make your out-of-character comments here regarding the story.

Tuesday, February 1st 2011, 10:46pm

Good read. Like everything; the tone of the speaker is right for the period IHMO and pretty much their intelligence is close to the Indian perception of the Afghan Army reorganization. Is good in the short run for India but could cause problems in the future. But right the need to get rid of Parwiz goes over everything else.

Again, good read.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "perdedor99" (Feb 1st 2011, 10:46pm)

Wednesday, February 2nd 2011, 11:58pm

Kandahar. It's a bit far.

RF Army won't be able to bail'em out there.

I could manage to get to Herat.

And yes, a good, informative read.

Wednesday, February 9th 2011, 11:33pm

Enjoying this story a lot so far, keep up the good work!

Thursday, April 28th 2011, 5:25am

Addendum to my recent post:

I had a little bit of an epic fail when I set up the idea of the Pandur paradrop at Lashkar Gah. Somewhere I thought I had information that showed it was a sleepy little village of, oh, a thousand or so... the kind of place where a hundred well-armed, well-trained, well-disciplined troops could make some noise without being seriously threatened...

But it's not a quaint little village. Seems the population, in 2006, is more along the lines of 200,000 people...

Thursday, April 28th 2011, 6:01am

I think more relevant would be what the population in 1940 was, tho.

Thursday, April 28th 2011, 6:28am

Quoted

Originally posted by ShinRa_Inc
I think more relevant would be what the population in 1940 was, tho.

I intend to operate under the assumption that it is significantly lower; say 25,000 or so.

Thursday, April 28th 2011, 2:26pm

This could prove interesting...

Hmm. One company - so far - against considerable odds. At least Major Elbinger has the most deadly weapon known to man at his disposal - a radio. :D

Thursday, April 28th 2011, 4:56pm

I found a source that says the population in 2007 was only 43,934 people.
http://population.mongabay.com/populatio…720/lashkar-gah

Thursday, April 28th 2011, 5:19pm

Perhaps, but Wikipedia says 200,000 and cites Afghan government sources... which appear to be nonfunctional. The Wiki page also notes that the town grew a lot in the 1950s due to US influence.

Regardless, it's not the quaint, sleepy little village I thought; what size it actually is, well...

Friday, April 29th 2011, 11:05am

One company + one radio + whole sheadload of Hurribombers = BLAM KAPOW!!

I can see why Major Elbinger may be worried but a few attacks by aircraft should break their will to fight. That and some MGs. Either way you look at things its going to be a massacre of one side or the other.

Friday, April 29th 2011, 9:24pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Hood
One company + one radio + whole sheadload of Hurribombers = BLAM KAPOW!!

I can see why Major Elbinger may be worried but a few attacks by aircraft should break their will to fight. That and some MGs. Either way you look at things its going to be a massacre of one side or the other.

No doubt the Afghan casualties in the first air attack or two will be horrendous, and will certainly cut their enthusiasm for frontal attacks.

Of greater danger is long-term attrition; that and the fact that the Yugoslav Pandurs would have been dropped with limited ammunition. If the siege goes on for any length of time I suspect Major Elbinger and his Pandurs will be scavenging for Afghan weapons.

While I am confident of LONAFF victory, this is not going to be a push-over.

Saturday, April 30th 2011, 11:47am

Could this be the setting for the first modern air-dropping of supplies over a sustained period?

That's one solution (Paras don't appeal to me as being the right solution to this problem although I think none of the LONAFF nations present have parachutist capability).

Saturday, April 30th 2011, 12:13pm

Quoted

Could this be the setting for the first modern air-dropping of supplies over a sustained period?

That's one solution (Paras don't appeal to me as being the right solution to this problem although I think none of the LONAFF nations present have parachutist capability).

The Yugoslav Pandur battalion is parachute trained; the company in question was air dropped on Lashkar Gah.

Saturday, April 30th 2011, 1:12pm

Does LONAFF have enough transport planes to make such a drop in one go?

IMHO airborne tactics in WW have gone far beyond OTL with some unlikely small nations fielding quite powerful and effective airborne forces. But if LONAFF can get them there then they should be able to supply them without too much trouble.

Saturday, April 30th 2011, 4:26pm

Quoted

Does LONAFF have enough transport planes to make such a drop in one go?

IMHO airborne tactics in WW have gone far beyond OTL with some unlikely small nations fielding quite powerful and effective airborne forces. But if LONAFF can get them there then they should be able to supply them without too much trouble.

The Yugoslavs have brought along six C-47s, which limits the drop to company-sized (168 men). They've got an additional number of Noorduyn Norsemen which can supplement that force (so far as it goes).

The Pandurs are not pure paratroopers, though they can do the paratrooper job; they're elite light infantry battalions. Their paradrop here is largely an experimental affair on behalf of the LONAFF's commanding generals; it was mainly considered since they're facing Afghan tribesmen with weaponry mostly limited to late 1800s rifles, without effective AA or supporting arms.

Saturday, April 30th 2011, 6:09pm

Great stuff

Quoted

...it was mainly considered since they're facing Afghan tribesmen with weaponry mostly limited to late 1800s rifles

There will be a few Nagants (that's part of what I've been bribing Northern Afghan tribal leaders with), but yeah, their armament won't be the best.

Good read, BTW.

Saturday, April 30th 2011, 6:18pm

Ah, true. The Nagant's a pretty good rifle.

Thanks, glad you're enjoying it.

Tuesday, May 10th 2011, 2:07am

Good read. Are the Czech's suffering from the problem of cavalry and motorized forces not working well together as historically for similar units?

Tuesday, May 10th 2011, 2:43am

Quoted

Originally posted by perdedor99
Good read. Are the Czech's suffering from the problem of cavalry and motorized forces not working well together as historically for similar units?

Yes, but it's not coming out much in these posts.