You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Monday, June 21st 2004, 6:17am

Info on Atlantis

To be updated

Basic info

Country name:
conventional long form: The Atlantian Empire or Atlantean Empire
conventional short form: Atlantis
abbreviation: AE
Government type:
confederation with constitutional monarchy
Capital:
Cleito

Nationality:
noun: Atlantean(s)
adjective: Atlantean

Dependent areas:
Autochthon (southern Morroco/western Algeria),Canary islands, Cape Verde islands, Grenada, Mauritania, Trinidad and Tobago, Venezuela, Western Sahara

Population:
Atlantis ........................56.3 million
Autochthon ..................15.8 million
Venezuela ...................11.6 million
Mauritania ...................1.4 million
Canary Islands.............600,000
Trinidad and Tobago ...460,000
Cape Verde Islands ....185,000
Grenada.......................48,000

Background:

Geography

Atlantic, continent in the Mid Atlantic Ocean, west of Mauritania, east of Cuba
Geographic coordinates:
0 0 N, 0 0 W

Area:
total: sq km
water: sq km
land: sq km
Area - comparative:
Greenland
Land boundaries:
0 km
Coastline:
0 km

Climate:
temperate; clear, hot summers in interior, more moderate and cloudy along coast; cloudy, cold winters in interior, partly cloudy and cool along coast

Terrain:
vast central plain, Metuendus mountains in north, hills and low Pepherdo mountains in east; rugged Tullus mountains and broad river valleys in the south east; rugged, volcanic topography in eastern region, with some steep, rugged, rocky, volcanic

Elevation extremes:
lowest point: Atlantic Ocean 0 m
highest point: Mount Atlas, Metuendus mountain range 6,234 m

Natural resources:
Nickel, Platinum, Orichalcum (high grade copper) Tin, Uranium, Phospates, Diamonds, Iron ore, Bauxite, Aragonite, Salt, Basalt rock, Limestone, timber, arable land

Land use:
arable land: 0%
permanent crops: 0%
other: 0%
Irrigated land:
NA sq km

Natural hazards:
seasonal harmattan wind produces obscuring dust on the east coast; volcanically and seismically active, tropical cyclones (hurricanes) develop off the coast of Africa near Cape Verde and move westward into the Caribbean Sea; hurricanes can occur from May to December, but are most frequent from August to November

Social and political

National holiday:
Anthesteria Feb. 26th to March 12

Constitution:

Languages:
Aquitainian, English (mainland), Euskara ( Cape Verde and Western Sahara) and Berberish ( Maritania )

Legal system:
based on English common law;

Executive branch:
chief of state: His/her magesty the King and Queen
head of government: Prime minister Varnha Olimbos

Political parties:
Taurus party (conservatives), Elephus party (moderate conservatives),Falco party (moderate Liberals) Delpin party (liberals)

International organization participation:
CT(Cleito treaty, naval limitations treaty), FAR (France/Atlantis/Russia alliance), KKT (Kum Kale Treaty, with Turkey)

Flag description:
red with a black bull in the center and a gold Trident in the upper left hand corner.

Military info

Monday, June 21st 2004, 9:10pm

Gateway to Atlantis...

The ultimate Atlantean Travel Guide.
Will the Hotels and Restaurants appear here as well?
:-)
Nice info.

Monday, June 21st 2004, 9:40pm

lol Possibly, I will be adding info in the future. I also have to determine the exact size of Atlantis, Lyra and the other small Atlantean islands, which won't be easy.

Monday, June 21st 2004, 9:48pm

Are you sure that Granada is a dependency? or am I thinking about somewhere else? Granada in Spain.

What is the population density like? I imagine that people are very bunched together due to high mountain ranges and a large arable plain. I assume that it is arable and not forested. For Climate aren't we looking at Sahara like conditions in the interior and equatorial rainforest for elsewhere? This may change with Atlantis being in the Atlantic. You don't get cold winters on the equator, unless you are up a 6000m mountain, the temperature and conditions stay more or less the same.

The river valleys in the South East should be good for wine-making.

Monday, June 21st 2004, 9:55pm

....Not sure Gavin you said Gra nada I said Gre nada. As for population density thats another more difficult set of Figures to dig up.

Atlantis wil be completely fictional and I don't have any 1923 figures for the others so they are slightly less than half of present day figures. Given the fact that Atlantis has control over them in the SIM fudging seems ok.

Monday, June 21st 2004, 9:59pm

The size of Atlantis? Guess it would be guesswork. I've been looking at Japan's area. Japan is about 377,000 square kilometers... but that is modern day Japan. How much the Kurils, Sakhalin and all those small pacific islands are... I have no idea. That is guesswork (probably about 430,000 sq.km.).
I would guess Atlantis itself together with all the small islands around it to be about the size of Libya, which is about 1,760,000 square kilometers. But that is a guess.

So that would give us almost 32 people per square kilometer.

Tuesday, June 22nd 2004, 1:41am

More the size of Greenland, according to Plato, Atlantis was larger than Libya and Asia combined (asia being Turkey and Syria)

Tuesday, June 22nd 2004, 2:34pm

I like it. I need to find the one I did for India and update it...

Tuesday, June 22nd 2004, 8:21pm

Quoted

More the size of Greenland, according to Plato, Atlantis was larger than Libya and Asia combined (asia being Turkey and Syria)

Actually, I was comparing Atlantis on the map to other nations. The main island and the various islands around it, which you made using coastlines from a dozen locations from all over the world, and on the map it seems to be about the size of Libya (perhaps slightly larger but not that much).

Tuesday, June 22nd 2004, 10:19pm

You seem to be right walter, it is more the size of Libya, I'll make the changes in another update.

Nice to see you like my post rocky, you seem to have bested me with your addition to yours! I still have to work out a history starting around the late 1700's slightly later than the Spanish/Atlantian wars.

Wednesday, June 23rd 2004, 1:53pm

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, Wes. I'll certainly look forward to seeing your history when you get it done.

Gotta go add some comments to my own post...