You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Sunday, December 19th 2010, 11:34pm

Request for a Peacekeeping Force 2

July 9th 1940

Two Buddhist Monks address the League sponsored by Persia.

First monk spoke:
"Gentlemen. As you are all well aware, the forces of the Chinese Empire entered our provinces of Amdo and Kham utilizing the excuse of eliminating “warlord” activity in the region. That was close to five years ago. Our nation is a nation of peace and lacks a real army. We fear for what will be the next step of our neighbors to the East. Our leader is young but his advisors, us included in that group, consider only a League supported initiative will help us. We have already contacted privately our neighbors to the South and they are amicable in supporting the option we present to the League now. "

Second Monk:

"The legitimately recognized government of Tibet now states our request for European neutral forces to help our friends to the South to contain further Chinese expansion into our nation. As ought to be clear to all the nations present at this time, the situation is clearly untenable, as we cannot further ignore that provinces of our nation covering as much ground as France are now under the de-facto control of a foreign nation. I ask the members of the League what response has been the custom of European nations throughout recorded history. Would it not be viewed - with good reason - as a legitimate causus belli? Therefore, we request an official League sanction as the League of Nations Tibet Field Force, or LONTFF.

"After private discussions with our neighbor to the South they have agreed to participate and would like to propose a plan of operations, in conjunction with any European Nation that is willing to participate. This proposed plan has been tentatively approved by our nation, awaiting the blessing of the League.”

"Our Neighbor to the South have pledged to help our nation to create a modern Army and to help protect the borders of our nation of further expansion. Several of the governments in the region have agreed to assist with financial considerations, particularly relating to supply of the LONTFF.”

"We request that the League members affirm the formation of the LONTFF. Please vote aye if you affirm this proposal, or nay if you oppose the formation of this unit."

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "perdedor99" (Dec 20th 2010, 11:57pm)

Monday, December 20th 2010, 12:58am

Chilean delegate Agustín Edwards addresses the Assembly:

"The Chilean government has previously understood that the Chinese Army has entered Tibet at the invitation of the Tibetan government in order to contain Chinese and Tibetan warlords there. Now we have these gentlemen who claim the Chinese Army is actively invading and occupying their country. Until today I have heard no statements before this body requesting the withdrawal of Chinese military assistance, so you will excuse my surprise at the suddenness of requesting peacekeeping help against the Chinese Army. The gentlemen from Tibet will excuse me for noting that this is not the proper chain of events necessary for requesting League of Nations intervention, and, to borrow a term from our English-speaking compatriots - 'smells fishy'.

"Chile therefore requests to table voting until such a time as the legitimacy of this request has been proven and the proper steps have been taken leading up to such a vote."

Monday, December 20th 2010, 1:02am

Germany seconds the Chilean motion to table the matter until the question of the legitimacy of the request is established.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "BruceDuncan" (Dec 20th 2010, 1:10am)

Monday, December 20th 2010, 1:07am

Quoted

Originally posted by Brockpaine
Chilean delegate Agustín Edwards addresses the Assembly:

"The Chilean government has previously understood that the Chinese Army has entered Tibet at the invitation of the Tibetan government in order to contain Chinese and Tibetan warlords there. Now we have these gentlemen who claim the Chinese Army is actively invading and occupying their country. Until today I have heard no statements before this body requesting the withdrawal of Chinese military assistance, so you will excuse my surprise at the suddenness of requesting peacekeeping help against the Chinese Army. The gentlemen from Tibet will excuse me for noting that this is not the proper chain of events necessary for requesting League of Nations intervention, and, to borrow a term from our English-speaking compatriots - 'smells fishy'.

"Chile therefore requests to table voting until such a time as the legitimacy of this request has been proven and the proper steps have been taken leading up to such a vote."

Persia's response. " If the decision is to table the matter until a later time, so be it."

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "perdedor99" (Dec 20th 2010, 11:58pm)

Monday, December 20th 2010, 3:03am

A point of order; Are these two monks the properly credentialed agents of the Tibetan government, with the rights to address the league on behalf of said government? Or are they private citizens who have somehow managed an audience through other means?

(It's worth remembering, that Tibet is not a member of the league from what I can tell, as well. In fact, Other than appearing seperate on the Big Map, I'm unaware of any change in the historical nonrecognition of Tibet as a sovereign state.)

Monday, December 20th 2010, 4:15am

After hurried research:

"The Republic of Chile does not now nor has ever recognized an independent government of Tibet. The Republic of Chile recognizes Tibet as an autonomous region of the Kingdom of China."

Monday, December 20th 2010, 5:03am

The Latvian delegate finally sees a chance to say something and be, hopefully, moved to a better diplomatic position in the next foreign office shuffle, so he speaks up:

"What is the purpose of Indian involvement in this internal Chinese squabble? It seems, at least to me and the Latvian foreign office, that this is just another attempt by Bahrat to extend its reach across southern Asia. Let the facts, and the nations involved, speak for themselves. Persia, Baluchistan, Hedjez; all nations that at one point were fully in control of their internal affairs, now reduced to little but puppets. Will Tibet be next? China, not India, controls Tibet as part of its territory, and until the LoN and the majority of the world recognizes Tibet as indepedent, Tibet is but a providence of China. It is the view of the Latvian government, in that case, that India should not even be concerned with the happenings in Tibet, unless it forms a threat to Bahrat. The only other explainable reason for a nation such as Bahrat to try and upset the delicate peace in this region is to expand its influence even farther over the Asian continent. Latvia would thus call for Bahrat to stand down and stop provoking unrest in Asia, which could only end with bad results."

Monday, December 20th 2010, 7:10am

Australia: (insert anti-Bahrat rant here...)

Mexico: "Where's Tibet? Can we find a way to blame it on the Iberians?"

Monday, December 20th 2010, 7:19am

The Aussie delegate is finally doing something that doesn't involve himself being drunk....excellent. :D

Monday, December 20th 2010, 3:52pm

It appears to me that the Tibetan monks wants the League of Nations to declare war on China and forcibly remove Chinese forces from Tibet. Even more than that, they want League forces to help India roll back Chinese expansion.

Monday, December 20th 2010, 5:46pm

I didn't say he was sober... ;)

Monday, December 20th 2010, 9:50pm

If Tibet is not a recognised as a nation how did these two monks gain admittence to the League Chamber?

Great Britain does not recognise Tibet as an independent nation but in being an Autonomous Region of China it has certain rights as a seperate entity. If the Tibetan "government" whatever that means in legal speak in this context, invited the Chinese then that is one matter.

The more pressing issue is that if the Chinese Army is committing atrocities under the guise of military law and Tibet is not independent but instead part of China proper then China is guilty of using force to supress its own population. Therefore China could deem to be a Police State using its Army as a weapon of terror against its own people.

Saying that the League isn't a policeman to answer every plaintive cry for aid. The League as no mandate to interfere in internal matters of any nation. It is powerless to act in this instance but all the nations here can clearly see what kind of actions and politics and aims that are being employed by China and India in their relentless lust for territorial expansion and power.

Monday, December 20th 2010, 10:00pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Hood
It is powerless to act in this instance...

"Ensign Redshirt, prepare... THE TESTY LETTER!"
"Oh no, Captain Pidork! Not the serious stuff, sir!"
"Yes, Ensign Redshirt, the SERIOUS STUFF!"

Monday, December 20th 2010, 10:38pm

Have these Monks any proofs of Chinese Army brutality, political murders, tortures etc?

What is the Chinese Army doing and where and what repression are they using?

Really we don't know enough to make any decisions. We can guess what might be going on but really it needs proof if any nation is going to make a stand against this issue.

Monday, December 20th 2010, 11:19pm

To reiterate my earlier question, which still has not been answered.

Quoted

Originally posted by ShinRa_Inc
A point of order; Are these two monks the properly credentialed agents of the Tibetan government, with the rights to address the league on behalf of said government? Or are they private citizens who have somehow managed an audience through other means?

(It's worth remembering, that Tibet is not a member of the league from what I can tell, as well. In fact, Other than appearing seperate on the Big Map, I'm unaware of any change in the historical nonrecognition of Tibet as a sovereign state.)

More succinctly, Whom do these monks officially represent, and whom is responsible for them being before this assembly? Since Perdedor appears to be writing them, the assumption seems to be that India has presented them to address the League. Does this mean India in some way makes a claim that Tibet is independant and autonomous from China? Has it done so at the request of some manner of government within Tibet?

Monday, December 20th 2010, 11:23pm

Yang Yu-Ching - Delegate of China in the League stand up and walked to the lectern:

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am glad to see, that the majority of the present ambassadors see this thing, as a thing that it is, namely an internal affair of China.
We wouldn't find it appropriate, that the LoN interfere in internal affairs of an independent nation. Tibet has always been an integral part
within the Chinese Empire. For this reason, China forbids any interference of foreign nations.

For now, we will depart to our embassy to get new information from our government in this matter.

After the chinese delegation left the meeting in direction of the chinese embassy, also the two monks left the building....

[Size=1]with permission from Perdedor ...[/size]

Monday, December 20th 2010, 11:34pm

Quoted

Originally posted by parador
I am glad to see, that the majority of the present ambassadors see this thing, as a thing that it is, namely an internal affair of China.

The Chilean, Latvian and British delegates make a majority? Man, I've heard of moral superiority but never thought to apply it to math!

Monday, December 20th 2010, 11:34pm

One of you kindly answer the above questions. Monks don't just wander into the floor of the LoN. How did they get here, and whom do they represent?

Monday, December 20th 2010, 11:47pm

Good question. Who allowed them to enter the building? Bharat feels as duped by the chain of events as all the rest of the assembly.

Monday, December 20th 2010, 11:49pm

Quoted

Originally posted by perdedor99
Good question. Who allowed them to enter the building? Bharat feels as duped by the chain of events as all the rest of the assembly.

...considering you're the one who wrote them coming before the assembly, i'm sorely tempted to put my Mod hat on and void this entire thread, as it makes No Damn Sense™