You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Wednesday, December 15th 2010, 12:51pm

Fictional Aircraft Designs

Hi, I want to share some of my fictional aircraft designs. Comments and critics would be appreciated.

Alvis Aircraft Industries A-92 C (mod. 1939)

Role: Fighter
Crew: 1
Length: 9.36 m
Wingspan: 11.28 m
Empty weight: 2390 kg
Maximum weight: 3270 kg
Powerplant: 1x V-12 Engine 956 hp
Range: 785 Km
Maximum speed: 541 km/h
Service Ceiling: 10500 m
Armament: 2x 15mm heavy machine guns

http://yfrog.com/fyalvisaeroa92cpp

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "Daidalos" (Dec 16th 2010, 7:35am)

Wednesday, December 15th 2010, 1:05pm

Looks very pretty!!

Wednesday, December 15th 2010, 4:11pm

a shark-nose scheam would look great on her due to that front end. Very nice.
You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
Sneak home and pray you'll never know
The hell where youth and laughter go.
-Siegfried Sassoon

Wednesday, December 15th 2010, 4:24pm

In the spirit of constuctive criticism, the performance of the aircraft looks optimistic in view of the stated weight of the aircraft and horsepower of the engine; not impossible, but optimistic.

Overall, the aircraft seems larger than it ought to be. The pilot seems to sit very far back, but no further than some French Caudron designs of the late 1930s - but then they saw very little service. The empennage looks small in comparison to the rest of the aircraft. How that might impact flight characteristics I can't say - it's more an esthetic point than a technical one.

Wednesday, December 15th 2010, 4:54pm

RE: Fictional Aircraft Designs

The wing must move forward ... Too anterior alignment. :)

Wednesday, December 15th 2010, 9:08pm

Quoted

Originally posted by BruceDuncan
In the spirit of constuctive criticism, the performance of the aircraft looks optimistic in view of the stated weight of the aircraft and horsepower of the engine; not impossible, but optimistic.

Overall, the aircraft seems larger than it ought to be. The pilot seems to sit very far back, but no further than some French Caudron designs of the late 1930s - but then they saw very little service. The empennage looks small in comparison to the rest of the aircraft. How that might impact flight characteristics I can't say - it's more an esthetic point than a technical one.

I agree it is a good start but fewer exhausts (I count 20), cock pit and wing forward and perhaps a slightly bigger tail fin

Thursday, December 16th 2010, 7:35am

Thanks for your feedback so far.
Well, my drawing was mostly inspired by french made single enginge fighters of the 30's like the Dewotine D.520, the already mentioned Caudron C.714 and to a lesser extend the Morane-Saulnier MS. 406. Due to this, I wont move the pilots cabin foreward, it would destroy the planes unique aesthethic in my opinion.
Concerning the other critics i would totally agree: I didn`t like the Empennage either but representing an average pre- war fighter this could have been an overseen design flaw.
I wasn't careful enough when i wrote those performance values. As bruce duncan said, there parameters are optimistic and after i have carefully studied the performance statistics of similar planes from that timeperiod I would say especcially the speed is way too optimistic. I changed that.
I created a modfied drawing showing an upgraded and improved plane.
Changes:
-reworked empennage
-wings have been slightly moved forward
-paintsheme has been changed
-telescopic sight has been replaced by a reflex sight
-20 mm Cannon firing through the proppeler hub has been added

Alvis Aircraft Industries A-92 E (mod. 1941)

Length: 9.36 m
Wingspan: 11.28 m
Empty weight: 2590 kg
Maximum weight: 3300 kg
Powerplant: 1x V-12 Engine 1380 hp
Range: 575 Km
Maximum speed: 615 km/h
Service Ceiling: 11000 m
Armament: 2x 15mm heavy machine guns; 1x 20mm machinecannon

http://yfrog.com/n1alvisaa92emod1941pp

By the way, if you want to modify or use the drawing in some way, feel free to do so.

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "Daidalos" (Dec 16th 2010, 7:44am)

Thursday, December 16th 2010, 7:39am

I would almost move the wing a bit farther forward still. the balance looks a bit off. I can definitely see the French influence. Still a very nice plane, way better then I could do.
You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
Sneak home and pray you'll never know
The hell where youth and laughter go.
-Siegfried Sassoon

Thursday, December 16th 2010, 9:19am

Much better, looking forward to your next design

Thursday, December 16th 2010, 12:23pm

The change to an uprated engine certainly goes far to justify the expected performance; since the actual engine type is not specified, there are several points I cannot comment on - such as the ceiling.

Drawing wise, the revised empennage makes the placement of the cockpit less prominent; it now looks as though it sits over the rear spar of the wing, which is okay. The revision of the exhaust stacks on the engine looks good too. It still might be a bear to taxi on the ground, but many tail-draggers had that issue. Much improved!

Thursday, December 16th 2010, 1:11pm

Here are two "new" designs, well the first is not really a new one but a highly improved and redesigned A-92. The second drawing is inspired by russian Yak-3 and yak-9 designs.

Alvis Aircraft Industries A-94 A (mod. 1943)

Length: 9.40 m
Wingspan: 11.96 m
Empty weight: 3068 kg
Maximum weight: 3950 kg
Powerplant: 1x V-12 Engine 1670 hp
Range: 620 Km
Maximum speed: 665 km/h
Armament: 2x 15mm heavy machine guns; 2x 20mm Machine Cannons

http://yfrog.com/71alvisaeroaa94bmod1943p

Alvis Aircraft Industries A-96 A (mod. 1944)

Length: 10,90m
Wingspan: 12.76 m
Empty weight: 3890 kg
Maximum weight: 5049 kg
Powerplant: 1x V-12 Engine 2150 hp
Range: 1225 Km
Maximum speed: 701 km/h
Armament: 1x 20mm Machine cannon; 2x 30mm Machine Cannons

http://yfrog.com/1salvisa96cpaintp

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "Daidalos" (Dec 16th 2010, 1:15pm)

Tuesday, December 21st 2010, 6:54pm

What do you think of the last two designs?

Tuesday, December 21st 2010, 7:12pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Daidalos
What do you think of the last two designs?

The first is fairly balanced, but I find the second quite long from nose to tail, particularly compared to what seems a very small cockpit. Shortening the overall length might create better balance.