You are not logged in.

Thursday, December 9th 2010, 3:13pm

Gah!

Apologies that I've been MIA for a while, real life has rather intruded. You'd think that by the last year of my studies, I'd have figured out that there's a lot of coursework at the end of the semester. Fortunately, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, and should be in a position to get up to date in about a week and a half; over the holidays, I'll try to build up a buffer as well.

Thursday, December 9th 2010, 3:39pm

Welcome back!

Thursday, December 9th 2010, 4:28pm

Yes, welcome back. I was getting worried about you.

Thursday, December 9th 2010, 7:01pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Brockpaine
Yes, welcome back. I was getting worried about you.

So were we all. Good to see you back!

Thursday, December 9th 2010, 8:39pm

Good to see, one of the old one is back !!!!

Thursday, December 9th 2010, 8:53pm

RE: Gah!

Quoted

Originally posted by RLBH
You'd think that by the last year of my studies, I'd have figured out that there's a lot of coursework at the end of the semester.

I figured you'd be one of those chaps currently trying to break into the Treasury rather than doing this studying lark.

Thursday, December 9th 2010, 8:53pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Red Admiral

Quoted

You'd think that by the last year of my studies, I'd have figured out that there's a lot of coursework at the end of the semester.

I figured you'd be one of those chaps currently trying to break into the Treasury rather than doing this studying lark.

?(

Thursday, December 9th 2010, 8:59pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Brockpaine
?(

There's a good student riot going on in town.

Thursday, December 9th 2010, 11:29pm

300% tuition raise? Holy ***! And here I was complaining over a 5% raise...

Thursday, December 9th 2010, 11:32pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Desertfox

But at $14,000 a year, that is still far less than many colleges and universities on this side of the pond.

Thursday, December 9th 2010, 11:40pm

True, $14,000 is about what I pay per semester... Thank God for scholarships...

Thursday, December 9th 2010, 11:49pm

Quoted

Quoted

The accepted viewpoint in my department is that those who have time to protest at this time of year, clearly aren't doing sufficiently difficult degrees, so their courses should be the first target for budget cuts. We've had busy computer labs all week - despite the university being closed due to severe weather. 8o

Friday, December 10th 2010, 12:14am

Quoted

Originally posted by Desertfox

It's rather more complicated than that. The system over here doesn't require you to pay up front, instead, the government loans you the money (at a pretty low rate) and you pay it back over a long period of time when you have a decent paying job. Most of the problem stems from having loads more people going to university with no consequent increase in funding so per capita decreases.

I'm not sure what this severe weather is. We had a few inches of snow for a few days last week and it's got to about -2° sometimes. I'm just glad its not raining all the time like last winter.

Friday, December 10th 2010, 12:53am

Quoted

It's rather more complicated than that. The system over here doesn't require you to pay up front, instead, the government loans you the money (at a pretty low rate) and you pay it back over a long period of time when you have a decent paying job. Most of the problem stems from having loads more people going to university with no consequent increase in funding so per capita decreases.

US does that too.

Friday, December 10th 2010, 4:41am

Canada as well.

Friday, December 10th 2010, 3:12pm

Yeah I figured most of those "students" were either skiving or rent-a-thugs etc getting in on the whole "yeah let's smash it but dunno why" brigade. The fact most seemed to be Sixth Formers probably explains it. Loads of time in Sixth Form for bunking off!
*Ahhh, Blissfully remembers Sixth Form days*

Not had much now here in Morecambe, not even a cm, been very cold though, some days not even getting above freezing. Kendal only half and hour away by car has had a good 6-8 inches though.

Friday, December 10th 2010, 3:22pm

Morecambe! It *never* snows in a beach resort town!

:D

Friday, December 10th 2010, 3:28pm

Beach Resort Town! :D

What brochures have you been reading!

Doesn't snow much but sure rains alot.

Friday, December 10th 2010, 4:47pm

Like "Vancouver" rains alot?

Friday, December 10th 2010, 5:17pm

Quoted

I'm not sure what this severe weather is. We had a few inches of snow for a few days last week and it's got to about -2° sometimes. I'm just glad its not raining all the time like last winter.

I'm not so sure either, although it did reach -14° in Glasgow on Wednesday morning and we had about six inches of snow in the city centre on Monday. Unfortunately, it's thawing now, and that's when the real problems come.