You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Monday, December 6th 2010, 5:40pm

Olympics

I just remembered that this is an Olympic year in WW.

Historically Japan was to host both the Summer and Winter games in 1940 but was stripped of the honour due to the 1938 Sino-Japanese war and the Summer games went to Finland and the Winter games to Switzerland and then Germany.

The 1944 Summer Games should be in London and the 1944 Winter Games in Italy.

So are we in for a Japanese duo of Olympics this year?

Monday, December 6th 2010, 5:45pm

RE: Olympics

Quoted

Originally posted by Hood
I just remembered that this is an Olympic year in WW.

Historically Japan was to host both the Summer and Winter games in 1940 but was stripped of the honour due to the 1938 Sino-Japanese war and the Summer games went to Finland and the Winter games to Switzerland and then Germany.

The 1944 Summer Games should be in London and the 1944 Winter Games in Italy.

So are we in for a Japanese duo of Olympics this year?

I guess it will be Tokyo 1940.

Monday, December 6th 2010, 5:51pm

No objections here.

Kaiser Kirk

Lightbringer and former European Imperialist

Monday, December 6th 2010, 6:34pm

Sounds like a good plan.
I don't know about letting Manzo near the Olympic torch though... or for that matter Filipinos should be kept away from open flames...

Tuesday, December 7th 2010, 12:55am

It's ok. If Manzo was allowed to get near the Olympic torch, he'd be in London trying to find it. :D

Tuesday, December 7th 2010, 8:40pm

The German Summer and Winter Olympic teams are ready to travel as required to participate in the forthcoming Olympiad.

Edo and Sapporo? Interesting...

Wednesday, December 8th 2010, 12:38pm

So my olympic team needn't travel around the world ;)

Friday, August 16th 2013, 2:52pm

Bumpity bump.

Three years after this post we've entered yet another Olympic Year (we're running a bit quicker than real-world time!)

1944 Summer Games scheduled for London
1944 Winter Games scheduled for Italy

Obviously I can't speak for snip, but is everyone ok for London to host the summer games this year (July)?

I'm not yet sure how I'll cover the games or script them or even where they'll be in the Capital for sure given the Empire Exhibition at Wembley this year. Time for a spot of hurried rebuilding methinks!

Friday, August 16th 2013, 3:07pm

I have no objections. :D

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Friday, August 16th 2013, 3:14pm

Great thing...

Friday, August 16th 2013, 6:59pm

Im game for hosting, will have to see about writing.
You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
Sneak home and pray you'll never know
The hell where youth and laughter go.
-Siegfried Sassoon

Thursday, November 21st 2013, 12:02pm

As Walter said, in 1939 the 1944 Games were contested by London, Rome, Detroit, Lausanne, Athens, Budapest, Helsinki and Montreal. London won and thus hosted in WW and would have OTL.
In 1948 (OTL), London was selected ahead of Baltimore, Minneapolis, Lausanne, Los Angeles, and Philadelphia since they missed out holding the 1944 Games. Los Angles hosted in 1940 in Wesworld so that puts them out this time and London would not bid again.

The 1940 Winter Games were led at St. Moritz in WW. The 1944 Winter Games are in Cortina d'Ampezzo, Italy (but as I say I don't know Snip's plans for that event). For 1948, in OTL St.Mortiz held it and Cortina d'Ampezzo in 1956 due to the effect of the war. Lake Placid, United States was the only other 1948 choice but the IOC selected Switzerland because they had been neutral during the War. Winter locations are more limited and the claim that St. Moritz was ready and economical for winter sports in OTL still holds true but it would be a little unfair if they hosted again so soon unless no other choices came forward.

So that gives us basic potential initial bids:
1948 Summer: Baltimore, Minneapolis, Lausanne and Philadelphia
1948 Winter: Lake Placid, possibly St. Moritz
I agree more WW nations should bid to add to these lists since these are basically US-Swiss choices. Of course that depends on player willingness to write or participate but I would think Germany and France would bid given they can afford it OTL, perhaps Nordmark for the Winter Games? Atlantis and Russia would be other potentials but AdmK and Wes seem AWOL). I don't know how we would select, perhaps a poll vote?

Thursday, November 21st 2013, 2:16pm

I agree more WW nations should bid to add to these lists since these are basically US-Swiss choices. Of course that depends on player willingness to write or participate but I would think Germany and France would bid given they can afford it OTL, perhaps Nordmark for the Winter Games?

I agree that France would probably make a bid. I think France had it in the early 1930s (or perhaps it was the late 1920s).

I don't know how we would select, perhaps a poll vote?

Suggestion: give a deadline to make a bid, then list the contenders. Everyone posts their top three choices, and we can vote it with an Australian-style ballot.

Thursday, November 21st 2013, 3:02pm

Maybe hold the Summer Games in Pacifica or Indonesia. One event on each island. :D

Thursday, November 21st 2013, 3:50pm

Im game for hosting, will have to see about writing.
See above. I presume Q4?
-Siegfried Sassoon

Thursday, November 21st 2013, 3:56pm

Quoted

The 1944 Winter Olympics, which would have been officially known as the V Olympic Winter Games (due to the cancellation of 1940's V Olympic Winter Games), were to be celebrated in February 1944 in Cortina d'Ampezzo, Italy.
Looks like Q1 1944 to me. Guess you are too late for it.

From what I can see, it is always held at the beginning of the year. It makes sense since winter has had plenty of time to do its job at that point.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_Olym…r_Olympic_Games

Thursday, November 21st 2013, 4:00pm

If its that important to people Im sure we could backfill it. Or give some sort of storyline reason for moving them to a later time.
-Siegfried Sassoon

Thursday, November 21st 2013, 4:13pm

Back in those days, winter sports were more dependent on nature so you want to hold it mid/late winter and not at the beginning so moving it to the end of 1944 is probably not an option. It is better to assume that the Winter Games have taken place at the beginning of the year and if you want to create the stuff about it, create it at your own pace. After all, the 1943 China-Chosen war is still in 1943. I don't consider it a disaster if you post about the Q1 Winter Games while we are in Q4.

Thursday, November 21st 2013, 4:21pm

Back in those days, winter sports were more dependent on nature so you want to hold it mid/late winter and not at the beginning so moving it to the end of 1944 is probably not an option. It is better to assume that the Winter Games have taken place at the beginning of the year and if you want to create the stuff about it, create it at your own pace. After all, the 1943 China-Chosen war is still in 1943. I don't consider it a disaster if you post about the Q1 Winter Games while we are in Q4.

Agreed.

Thursday, November 21st 2013, 4:39pm

Ok, will figure something out if its desired.
-Siegfried Sassoon