You are not logged in.

Saturday, April 30th 2011, 12:02pm

No I think the factory situation has been stable at 50.
I've intention of building more but I must really get more infrastructure built. But building warships is just so hard to resist and having a Navy so big just refitting the damn thing takes up any slack.

Generally though building programmes are slowing down to the five Admirals 2+2 Audacious plus 8 DD and 5 CL and 5-10 subs per year. Soon the fleet will see drastic reductions in older 1920s ships.

Long Term Plans
QE Class: To be decommissioned 1945-46, one gunnery training ship, one static training ship
I Class: To be sold to Comonwealth at some point
Hood: To be decommissioned 1944-45
Saint Vincent Class: To remain in service until 1957
Victorious Class: To remain in service until 1959
Lion: To remain in service until 1963
Admiral Class: To remain in service until 1965-70
Ark Royal Class: To remain in service until 1944-46
Swiftsure Class: To remain in service until 1954-57
Eagle: To remain in service until 1957
Ocean Class: To remain in service until 1960-65
Audacious Class: To remain in service until 1970-75
Kent Class: To remain in service until 1945-47
Howe Class: To remain in service until 1949
Anson Class: To remain in service until 1950-55
Princess Royal & Iron Duke Classes: To remain in service until 1960-65
Caledon Class: To be decommissioned 1943 and scrapped
Ceres Class: To be decommissioned 1944 and scrapped, one to be gunnery training ship until 1949 others perhaps as static ships
E Class: To remain in Home service until 1943 then move to Far East or South Atlantic, scrap 1945-47
Improved E: To remain in service until 1945 in Far East
G Class: To remain in service until 1945
H Class: To remain in service until 1946 Rebuild as AACL?
I Class: To remain in service until 1947
J Class: To remain in service until 1957
K & L Classes: To remain in service until 1958-60
Colony Class: To remain in service until 1960-65
Scylla Class: To remain in service until 1957-59
Minotaur Class: To remain in service until 1963
Cathedral Class: To remain in service until 1958-64, rebuild as FADE 1946-48
V & W Classes: Decommission 1944-45
U Class: To remain in service until 1943
X Class: To remain in service until 1944
Y Class: To remain in service until 1948 To be given 25% refit 1942
Z Class: To remain in service until 1945 Eight to be rebuilt 1942 as ASW DD?
A Class: To remain in service until 1950-55?
B Class: To remain in service until 1950-55
D Class: To remain in service until 1955
E Class: To remain in service until 1955
F Class: To remain in service until 1950 or sell to allies 1945
G Class: To remain in service until 1957
H & I & J Classes: To remain in service until 1960-65
K & L & M Classes: To remain in service until 1965-70
Mountain Class: To remain in service until 1947-50, refit 1943-44
Defiant Class: To be decommissioned 1942
700 Ton Class: To remain in service until 1955
General Picton: To be decommissioned 1949
General Crawford & General Pakenham: To be decommissioned 1949
Gorgon: To be decommissioned 1945
Sir John Moore: To be decommissioned 1945
General Class: To remain in service until 1960-65
Insect Class: To be decommissioned 1945-47
500 Ton Class: To remain in service until 1955-60
P Class: To remain in service until 1945-47
S Class: To remain in service until 1957
Shark Class: To remain in service until 1954
Thames Class: To remain in service until 1955-56
U Class: To remain in service until 1954
V Class: To remain in service until 1959

Tuesday, December 31st 2013, 5:43pm

Things come back to life don't they?

Over at Warship Discussion 3.0 the search function has just begun working again. Quite unexpectedly while searching for something else I came across Gravina's thread there about his latest Wesworld designs which included the Hectors mentioned above and the MTB tender which I had always assumed to have not been laid down. However, in his post over there he names it Bonaventure, sure enough I re-search for the ship here under that name and find her in the 1926 and 1927 reports. She received 8,760 tons out of her 12,664 tons total, so was launched. So what happened to it? Do we assume it was completed during the gap between Gravina and RLBH's tenure or left as an unfinished hull?

I'm hoping this is the last of the missing ships. I admit to always having a soft spot for this design for some odd reason and has been said before in this thread, if its been paid for it should exist. The question is whether she's an MTB tender or lying awaiting completion, in which case I'd probably refit her as a submarine tender.

Here is the relevant 1927 report; 1927 Report

Tuesday, December 31st 2013, 5:51pm

Over at Warship Discussion 3.0 the search function has just begun working again. Quite unexpectedly while searching for something else I came across Gravina's thread there about his latest Wesworld designs which included the Hectors mentioned above and the MTB tender which I had always assumed to have not been laid down. However, in his post over there he names it Bonaventure, sure enough I re-search for the ship here under that name and find her in the 1926 and 1927 reports. She received 8,760 tons out of her 12,664 tons total, so was launched. So what happened to it? Do we assume it was completed during the gap between Gravina and RLBH's tenure or left as an unfinished hull?

How long was the gap between Gravina and RLBH?

If it's an unfinished hull, IIRC the rules state there is some decay that takes place if the hull isn't completed in a period of time. But my thought is that it's been finished and has just been missed.

Wednesday, January 1st 2014, 12:09am

I'd consider her finished. Probably due for a mid-life refit, in fact.

Thursday, January 2nd 2014, 10:57am

I'll add her to the muster list then. I agree she's due for refit. I shall have to rename her though because I've already built an HMS Bonaventure as a light cruiser of the Scylla Class in the meantime.

I don't know exactly how long the gap was between Gravina and RLBH in real time but the gap in sim-time was one year (1928), but alt naval's brief caretaking seemed to start afresh with no regard for what occurred previously and RLBH followed from that restart rather than Gravina's earlier works.

Thursday, January 2nd 2014, 4:52pm

The Hector Class light cruiser is another outstanding issue.

According to Gravina's 1927 report linked above, all four completed during 1927. And yet when alt-naval was caretaking they simply disappeared despite the SS report and picture existing in the ship's forum, linky; HERE

When RLBH parcelled out RN ships to form the RCN and RAN, the similar but smaller Diana's went to Canada but the Hectors were not mentioned at all (Hood was assumed to be the only RN 5.5in armed vessel left). When Shin came to investigating his 1931 CL designs he stated the Hectors did not exist (never-built) but that he had the plans, so was thinking of building 14 of them. Despite Gravina's reports before alt-naval began his caretaking their existence had been denied by alt-naval. I'm not sure why the complete set of 1927 reports was redone by alt-naval when there was no need to. The only 1926 ships planned but not built seem to have been the X-Class submarine cruisers which Gravina himself said were cancelled. It seems of the ships built but not simmed in 1927, only the three seaplane tenders and the two tanker classes were missing their SS reports, everything else was already posted on the boards.

So what happened to the four Hectors? As I said before, if Shin wants them I'll gladly transfer them to him (I suspect had they not been missed/ ignored by alt-naval the RCN would have had all seven 5.5in armed cruisers and doubtless Shin might have built another ten in an alternate-Wesworld AU) as of Q1/45. My backstory of deniability is that the four cruisers proved unreliable in service and all have spent the time since 1928 as static RNR training ships (thus not counted under Cleito limits) to avoid any oddities cropping up. Nearly 20 years old now, I could heavily refit them as AACL and bring them back to life, but alternatively I might simply scrap them or find other uses for them. Thoughts?

Sunday, January 12th 2014, 5:38pm

*Grumble, grumble* Did RLBH ever post an SS report for the E Class destroyers built between 1932-34? I've found the D Class destroyers built just before them but nothing on the E's beyond their report entries. From them it seems they are 1,526 tons light displacement, slightly larger than the D's (but nearly the same as the A's, of which the D's were a modernised version).
If there is no RLBH report I shall sim one later on.

Monday, January 13th 2014, 11:16pm

the RCN basically got everything with nonstandard calibers from the RN back when I took over Canada, so the Hectors likely would have come over with the Dianas. Or, with enough ships using the caliber, RLBH may have chosen to retain the Dianas and Chesters.

Since the RCN currently has plans to build a bunch of Hector sized Patrol Cruisers, it wouldn't say no to them.

Saturday, January 18th 2014, 10:37am

Well your more than welcome to them. Do you want a retrospective transfer or a Q4/44 transfer to account for the missing years?

Tuesday, January 21st 2014, 12:02am

I've got the root of an idea for a news article to cover this, give me a few days to sketch it out and get back to you.