You are not logged in.

Wednesday, September 22nd 2010, 2:17pm

Question on Wesworld History

One of several matters that are unclear to me is the question of Germany's OTL colonial empire. If any of the senior members can speak to the issue, I would appreciate any knowledge they may have.

Specifically,

1. Did WW Germany have colonies before the Great War? If so, where were they?

2. What happened to Germany's putative WW colonies during and after the Great War? Such as, who controls them now, are they LoN mandates, etc.?

Thanks in advance for any comments on the subject.

Thursday, September 23rd 2010, 2:13am

1) I don't think Germany is much divergant until the conclusion of the Great War

2) Most of them ended up as Pacifica. Which...I'm not entirely sure if it's another independant puppet like Formsa was and Chosen is, an outright colony, or a mandate.

Wednesday, September 29th 2010, 3:12am

Thanks for clarifying the situation in the Pacific, but I was more interested in Germany historical colonies in East and West Africa.

I'm hoping that someone can speak to those.

Kaiser Kirk

Lightbringer and former European Imperialist

Wednesday, September 29th 2010, 7:47am

As I recalled, SAE was on the Entente side in WWI and took them.
A little digging around seems to confirm that as we had a long rambling thread that dealt with SAE-Dutch histories.

For any further details, HooMan would seem to be the one to ask.

From

Hoo's timeline, 1/3 down

Quoted

1884 - SAE begins to industrialize to maintain its African Empire from opportunistic British and German forces and to build up the RSAN as a first class navy with modern equipment.

1890s - South Africa participates in colonial adventures, clashing with France in particular (as revenge?). This fuels expansion of the empire into places like Gabon, Madagascar, and so on. There is an undeclared, low intensity conflict with some significant battles, but diplomatic pressures on both nations keeps a full-blown war from happening.

1900 to 1916 - stabilization of the Empire´s borders and a relatively quite period before WW1 breaks out and the SAE gets involved in 1916. The SAE takes former German colonies (instead of the British historically).

>1919 - history as written in WesWorld

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Wednesday, September 29th 2010, 8:34am

Well, that quote only tells half the story. When you check out that thread you can see there have been several ideas in the past, how the SAE could have developed.

At the very beginning of WesWorld I did little to explain why the SAE exists. Only details of why there are special relations to the Nords and the Dutch were worked on. The rest was of no interest. Only later, when the roleplaying became more and more important, discrepancies were revealed and people wanted to know how the SAE came into existance.

Until today, I have no answer to that question that explains it all, respects posts from the beginnig of the SIM etc. This is one reason why I never put much emphasis into explaining the political system or introduce many political characters.

If you have an idea how to solve the problem, feel free to post your ideas in that old thread. Just keep in mind what I wrote in the second last post in that thread "All fine with me - as long as no history has to be re-written or I suddenly have to deal with strong independence movements...." The status quo (WesWorld 1939) and the history since 1920 cannot be changed.

Wednesday, September 29th 2010, 3:03pm

Thank you for clarifiying the matter.

:)

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Wednesday, September 29th 2010, 7:42pm

Glad it´s clarified for you - it´s not even for me! Xo)