You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Friday, August 20th 2010, 6:59pm

International Frigate

I noticed that a lot of navies, especially smaller ones, still have obsolete destroyers and light cruisers, often times predating the Clieto Treaty and/or hand-me-downs from other nations. So I designed what I call an "International Frigate," a ship that can be built for export to replace these older vessels. Emphasizing high speed and endurance, they can mount destroyer armament (basically anything in a twin turret or non-heavy caliber) and is a very flexible design in terms of armament. Sensors fit is to customer's specifications, just a basic fit is shown for demonstration purposes. Meant to take on other destroyers in either single actions or with support, its primary function is as a flotilla leader.

If people don't mind, I'd like to offer this in-game, possibly posting it in the ships for sale thread.

Friday, August 20th 2010, 7:22pm

Ireland is confused by the term "frigate" for a vessel mounting destroyer sized guns. :P [SIZE=1]The term "frigate" is usually used by the Commonwealth to refer to the post-Cleito cruisers armed with 9" or larger guns.)[/SIZE]

Have a Springsharp at all?

Friday, August 20th 2010, 8:21pm

Mark One Eyeball says about 4,000 tons normal, probably about 36-37 knots on a doubled destroyer plant, more like 35 knots on a plant built to cruiser standards. Something like that with a bit more of an A/S armament might suit me Nordmark quite well.

Friday, August 20th 2010, 10:48pm

Where would you get the tonnage and docks to produce them?

Saturday, August 21st 2010, 4:33am

Quoted

Originally posted by Brockpaine
Ireland is confused by the term "frigate" for a vessel mounting destroyer sized guns. :P

Well we (whoever we may be) define a frigate as being a ship appropriate for flotilla leader work, or for long-endurance, high-speed commerce protection (or raiding, as the case may be).

Quoted

Nope. Love for someone to sim it, though.

Saturday, August 21st 2010, 4:39am

Quoted

Originally posted by RLBH
Mark One Eyeball says about 4,000 tons normal, probably about 36-37 knots on a doubled destroyer plant, more like 35 knots on a plant built to cruiser standards.

That's the idea, more or less, though I was aiming for something closer to the 36-35 knot range.[

Quoted

Something like that with a bit more of an A/S armament might suit me Nordmark quite well.

Armament is perfectly customizable to the customer's standard, provided the guns will fit. I did a few armament options, such as this one for "maximum surface action" with the recommended British 5.25" DP turrets with Mk IV directors - just in case some Canadian Tribals are giving you a hard time ;)

And here's another one that maximizes anti-submarine warfare capabilities, complete with hedgehogs and a sonar:

And a final one that maximizes small-caliber gun batteries:

Also, a minelayer, which requires some rearrangement. BTW, if you wish, you can get this configuration without the minelaying equipment:

So yeah, if Nordmark would like some, I'm sure we can arrange something :)

Quoted

Originally posted by Vukovlad

...that's a good question :p But I'm sure something can be worked out :D

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "klagldsf" (Aug 21st 2010, 4:40am)

Saturday, August 21st 2010, 7:46am

Quoted

Originally posted by klagldsf

Quoted

Nope. Love for someone to sim it, though.

Best advice any of us can give you is to grab a copy and start fiddling with it yourself. That's more or less how all of us got started.

Quoted

Quoted

Something like that with a bit more of an A/S armament might suit me Nordmark quite well.

Armament is perfectly customizable to the customer's standard, provided the guns will fit. I did a few armament options, such as this one for "maximum surface action" with the recommended British 5.25" DP turrets with Mk IV directors - just in case some Canadian Tribals are giving you a hard time ;)

With the Canadian development of the 5.5" gun, the British have not explored the 5.25" as a possible weapon in WW, being rather satisfied with 4.5" guns, and possibly purchasing/copying the aforementioned Canadian guns. Likewise, I'm somewhat skeptical the UK would sell guns to anyone looking for trouble with Canadian destroyers, regardless.

Quoted

Quoted

Originally posted by Vukovlad

...that's a good question :p But I'm sure something can be worked out :D

...The last time we had a fellow try the "Independant shipyard" route as a player...it did not end well. An I'm not really of a mind to try again.

Saturday, August 21st 2010, 7:58am

I was thinking I could just simply come up with the designs and "sell" them; the ships themselves would be built at a shipyard arranged by the player.

I'm already doing this with aircraft designs, just not nearly so blatantly or publicly. Alternatively, I suppose I can throw my hat in with the Peruvians since I'm helping them out so much as it is.

...actually, this was originally intended to be a Peruvian-only frigate/destroyer leader, which is why it's modeled after Italian and German lines. I just had a spark of inspiration that other countries might be interested.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "klagldsf" (Aug 21st 2010, 7:59am)

Saturday, August 21st 2010, 8:06am

Quoted

...actually, this was originally intended to be a Peruvian-only frigate/destroyer leader, which is why it's modeled after Italian and German lines. I just had a spark of inspiration that other countries might be interested.

Peru's already got a three classes of destroyers on the books, including the heavy Independencia-class, which is both battle-tested and being built in quantity. It seems unlikely they'd try for a fourth DD design on top of that.

For Peru, German lines would be correct, but likely not Italian, as Peru has avoided buying Italian ships to date.

Saturday, August 21st 2010, 8:24am

Any stats on them? I can't find them in the encyclopedia.

Saturday, August 21st 2010, 8:30am

Quoted

Any stats on them? I can't find them in the encyclopedia.

Here

There's more coming, to Chile's general dismay.

Saturday, August 21st 2010, 8:57am

Oh. Odd I didn't notice them when you pointed them out, since I used those stats as an early benchmark (a reason why I was going for "Germanic" lines, etc).

Anyway, AVALMA's gonna hate me for this but it seems like you could use a little boost to your naval forces :D

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "klagldsf" (Aug 21st 2010, 8:58am)

Saturday, August 21st 2010, 11:26am

It's an interesting concept that has recently been looked at by a few nations here. At the bottom end there are the ~3000ton ships which push destroyer design to the limit (Like the Independencia Class or Le Fantasque Class). At the top end there are the 4500ton ships like Italy's Rimini Class below or the Volta Class. In some ways the divide is there because of our rules for using SS with a hard break in allowable hull strength at 3000tons. Italy lent towards the higher end in order to get more room and put more stuff onboard. Personally, I'd like to go down the historical Capitani Romani route for Italy, but those ships can't be simmed successfully by SS - the estimated machinery weights are way off.

I do quite like your design here. It reminds me of the Capitani Romani quite a lot. I think they might need some extra height to the forward superstructure. Through my eyes, they seem a bit off balance. Maybe raise the superstructure up to level with the funnel and incorporate the forward mast into it.

Saturday, August 21st 2010, 6:00pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Red Admiral
I do quite like your design here.

Thanks!

Quoted

It reminds me of the Capitani Romani quite a lot.

Well, it's not accidental. I guess in summation: it's a German-esque Capitani Romani, or an expanded Spahkreuzer.

Quoted

I think they might need some extra height to the forward superstructure. Through my eyes, they seem a bit off balance. Maybe raise the superstructure up to level with the funnel and incorporate the forward mast into it.

Suggestions noted, except I couldn't figure out a way to incorporate the mast into the funnel (actually the mast kinda bothers me as a whole):

Blank hull, ready for delivery and outfitting

With random weapons fit

Saturday, August 21st 2010, 8:06pm

Quoted

Anyway, AVALMA's gonna hate me for this but it seems like you could use a little boost to your naval forces :D

Really? What makes you say that? ?(

Saturday, August 21st 2010, 10:05pm

Because I'm trying to design a large chunk of his future air force :p (see other thread)

Saturday, August 21st 2010, 10:24pm

Quoted

Because I'm trying to design a large chunk of his future air force :p (see other thread)

...so sounds like I need to boost the air forces, not the naval forces, eh? ;)

Saturday, August 21st 2010, 11:24pm

Quoted

Quoted

...oh you :P

Saturday, August 21st 2010, 11:28pm

Quoted

Quoted

Quoted

...oh you :P

Well, it's the logical response, old bean! The Armada does a completely different job! :P The FACH+ADCAA is supposed to take care of enemy aircraft, doncha know!

Sunday, August 22nd 2010, 5:21am

Quoted

So what'll Peru's aircraft industry be called? Indaer Peru wasn't founded until the 1970s, but I suppose the name is as good as any, si?