You are not logged in.

Wednesday, August 18th 2010, 4:05pm

MS Paint Issue

I am trying to color a drawing in MS Paint and what I am looking to obtain is silver; the best I can come up with are various shades of gray or white. Any suggestions on how best to model bare aluminum?

?(

Wednesday, August 18th 2010, 4:15pm

There's no easy way to do aluminium in MS Paint without creating a gradient, and there's no easy way to make an automatic gradient in MS Paint. Basically, you have to use gray but use a gradient to white to give it "shine", if that makes sense.

I think I've some pseudo-aluminium backgrounds on my laptop, though it's barely sufficient for me. (It looks more like silver spackle, honestly!)

Wednesday, August 18th 2010, 4:49pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Brockpaine
There's no easy way to do aluminium in MS Paint without creating a gradient, and there's no easy way to make an automatic gradient in MS Paint. Basically, you have to use gray but use a gradient to white to give it "shine", if that makes sense.

I think I've some pseudo-aluminium backgrounds on my laptop, though it's barely sufficient for me. (It looks more like silver spackle, honestly!)

In a typical MS sort of way (ie Weird) it does make sense. I will keep plugging or change the livery!

Wednesday, August 18th 2010, 5:05pm

What you could try is to take a small section of a real picture with such a fuselage and then pick one of the fuselage colors in that section.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Rooijen10" (Aug 18th 2010, 5:06pm)

Wednesday, August 18th 2010, 5:08pm

That'll usually get you a shade of gray or off-white. While I used that to pick my colors, I found it was more useful to use gradients to draw aluminium.

Bruce, I'll see over lunch if I can find my gradient PNG.

Wednesday, August 18th 2010, 5:34pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Rooijen10
What you could try is to take a small section of a real picture with such a fuselage and then pick one of the fuselage colors in that section.

Which is what I tried and it seems to be working better than playing with a slide bar.

May have something to post later today.

Wednesday, August 18th 2010, 5:37pm

Sometimes, not always. At least you know you got it from an aluminium hull. :)
... and if that does not work, copy the section and paste a bunch next to each other and on top of each other. :)