You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Tuesday, August 3rd 2010, 5:04am

Canada, Eh? 1939 News

Ottawa Citizen
Feburary 25th, 1939
OTTAWA, ONTARIO
An investigation has been launched by Parliment into the ongoing delays in current shipbuilding projects for the RCN, focused mainly on 4 large Frigates which were originally shecduled and expected to complete this summer, but are now being estimated as at least a year from completion. Allegations of graft on the part of the yards, and gross miscalulation and overextention on behalf of the Admiralty are being lodged, with Conservative critics also pointing to the recent aquisition of the carrier Furious, in need of a thorough overhaul, but without any funding allocated for the modernization. MP Robert Manion, currently campaigning for the upcoming electon, also pointed to ongoing discussions that could result in further aquisitions from the Royal Navy, all older ships in need of overhauls the government cannot currently finance. Liberal supporters counter that the continued expansion of the Canadian military is neccesary to garuntee Canadian security, but admits that it is unfortunately a costly process.

Halifax Chronicle-Herald
March 17th, 1939
SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA
A deal has been concluded with the Australian government, which will result in the transfer of cruisers HMAS Queensland and HMAS Hobart to the RCN, in exchange for the Destroyers Tillbury, Tintagel, and Tribune, as well as numerous surplus equipment and supplies, most notably 40 4.7" weapons, and all ammunition stocks in that caliber. Queensland is expected to be recomissioned as HMCS Prince Edward Island once the transfer is complete, with Hobart reverting to her previous name as HMCS Cavendish.

Victoria Times-Colonist
March 5th, 1938
ESQUIMALT, B.C.
Following unspecified contractual work between Canadian Vickers and the Chilean Navy earlier this year, the Chilean Navy has contracted Yarrow, Ltd in Esquimalt for an order 6 100 ton harbor craft, based on a proposal from Professor F.G. Creed. No further details are available at this time, other than delivery is expected to be completed before the end of the year.

Ottawa Citizen
March 28th, 1939
OTTAWA, ONTARIO
Results of last week's parlimentary elections have been officially confirmed, with PM King's Liberal party maintaining a narrow majority over the competing Conservatives. rabble rabble rabble.

Halifax Chronicle-Herald
May 7th, 1939
MONTRAEL, QUEBEC
Despite delays and official inquiries, the pace of construction on the quartet of large cruiser under construction in Montreal and Halifax has noticably picked up speed, with all four ships now being in the water, and expected to complete early next year. While previous reported as being named after the four largest provinces of the Dominion, The ships were launched and christened as Serapis, St. Lawrence, Suprise and Endymion

The Gazette
June 14th, 1939
MONTREAL, QUEBEC
While line-production has concluded for the TC-2 Ram Tank (Also sold to the British Army as the Mark VI Cavalier), production continues on major components and parts to fill orders from Australia. Australia is reportedly planning to use the main components of the TC-2 in a hull of their own domestic design and manufature. Development on future concepts continues, with rumors of a new gun being developed by ShinRa Munitions, and firing tests being conducted on numerous iterations of armour plate, as well as mockups of possible new tank hull concepts.

Ottawa Citizen
July 12th, 193(
LONDON, ENGLAND
Reports of another deal struck between the Royal Navy and the Canadian Government will involve a further 20 S class destroyers being transferred to the Royal Canadian Navy, where they will undergo similar conversions as the existing ships of that class in service.

The Globe and Mail
August 27th, 1939
TORONTO, ONTARIO
Mystery is once again afoot in the skies over Toronto, with numerous dart-shaped craft being seen overhead. While some local "experts" initially thought the sightings might be of the new Avro Canada CF-12 "Pit Viper" that recently debuted at the Talons competition in Argentina, others have claimed the new sighting to be a noticably larger, and different in several details. In other local industry news, Orenda Engines recently showed aviation reporters a new iteration of their Oneida engine, the V-12 engine currently powering many of the leading Canadian aeroplane designs, as well as a quick glimpse at another project desginated "Cayuga", which appeared to be a much larger, 24 cylinder engine.

Victoria Times-Colonist
September 15th, 1939
HONG KONG
After an shakedown and acclimitatization period at Esquimalt, HMCS Prince Edward Island has arrived at Hong Kong today with the 16th Destroyer Flotilla. No annoucement of the deployment was made, nor are their any details released on how long the ships will be in the area, but the ships in question were reported to be well provisioned before departing Esquimalt.

Bonus imagery;

HMCS Prince Edward Island (ex HMAS Queensland)

Drafts of HMCS Serapis.

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Tuesday, August 3rd 2010, 7:42am

Why is Canada using the name of SAE territory for one of their cruisers (Prince Edward Island)?

Tuesday, August 3rd 2010, 9:17am

Likely because its the name of a province in Canada?

The smallest to be exact, in both size and population, it is also home to "Anne of Green Gables", and red dirt.

Here, Hoo http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Edward_Island

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "TheCanadian" (Aug 3rd 2010, 9:21am)

HoOmAn

Tuesday, August 3rd 2010, 11:19am

Funny thing that. I wasn´t aware of the existance of two sets of Prince Edward Islands, one in Canada, one in the South Atlantik / Indian Ocean region.

Well, you never stop learning....

Tuesday, August 3rd 2010, 12:54pm

...and I wasn't aware of the South African version of the Island!

HoOmAn

Tuesday, August 3rd 2010, 1:36pm

Btw, how many planes will be on that ship?

Tuesday, August 3rd 2010, 6:19pm

Foxy doesn't seem to have ever detailed that anywhere, but judging from the weight available and the size of the hangar, I'd say a maximum of 6, but more likely around 4. Depending on the size and weight of the particular aircraft, too, I suppose.

Tuesday, August 3rd 2010, 6:21pm

From the looks of it, I'd say six is actually more likely based on the room. It's larger than most hanger facilities, yet not as large as the facilities of a Tone-class (which IIRC carried eight).

Tuesday, August 3rd 2010, 6:51pm

I think weight is the more limiting factor than space; the design only has 300 tons misc iirc

Tuesday, August 3rd 2010, 7:42pm

Quoted

Following unspecified contractual work between Canadian Vickers and the Chilean Navy earlier this year, the Chilean Navy has contracted Yarrow, Ltd in Esquimalt for an order 6 100 ton harbor craft, based on a proposal from Professor F.G. Creed. No further details are available at this time, other than delivery is expected to be completed before the end of the year.

I don't really see the point in a SWATH hullform for use as a harbour patrol craft. They'll be expensive to build (likely 1.5x - 2x) and not really offer any advantages. Diesel electric propulsion is again high risk.

Really it doesn't make much sense when pretty much any old boat will do the job fine.

Tuesday, August 3rd 2010, 8:03pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Red Admiral

Quoted

I don't really see the point in a SWATH hullform for use as a harbour patrol craft. They'll be expensive to build (likely 1.5x - 2x) and not really offer any advantages. Diesel electric propulsion is again high risk.

It's not a patrol craft, it's an all-weather pilot boat. For operation in heavy seas, SWATH hulls cut through the waves better and reduce extreme up-and-down motions. They will offer plenty of advantages, which is why SWATH boats are increasingly showing up as pilot boats. Simply dismissing it as "no advantages" is rather ignorant.

Advantages:
- Provides significantly better seakeeping for smaller vessels
- Superior stability in all sea states

Disadvantages:
- Cost in materials and maintenance
- High speeds require significantly more horsepower to obtain
- Deep draft

As to cost, we have plenty of other sorts of ships which cost more or cost less than their real-life counterparts (as we've argued extensively in other threads).

I actually wanted to buy the SWATH carrier which Creed proposed to the USN in 1944, but I ran into a tiny problem trying to sim it with Springsharp. Hence this design: it's pretty much custom-tailored to meet a SWATH hull's strengths and negate it's disadvantages to a great extent. A pilot boat in Chile's part of the world needs good seakeeping and stability. Eighteen knots is a very handy speed for a pilot boat and doesn't require extreme increases in engine horsepower. Deep draft isn't an issue in this case because all Chilean harbours where these boats are deployed are deep harbours which drop rapidly to deep ocean. I've already analyzed and answered all the relevant historical objections, and I'm satisfied that I've got what I need for the job.

Tuesday, August 3rd 2010, 8:40pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Red Admiral

Quoted

Really it doesn't make much sense when pretty much any old boat will do the job fine.

Canada built one to evaluate the concept, with no set role decided yet, but the idea of a stable patrol platform for use in the turbulent waters Canada is surrounded by hasn't been dismissed.

Chile was interested, and bought six of the same type for their own use; Canada doesn't much care what Chile uses them for, since the check didn't bounce, and they hardly seem to be destabilizing to the region, let alone Canada's more local interests.

Tuesday, August 3rd 2010, 9:02pm

Quoted

Simply dismissing it as "no advantages" is rather ignorant.

You forget that I do actually know more than a little about ships and engineering. The cost and technical risk would completely screw this project.

The design seems to be based off the modern pilot boats in the Elbe (fair enough having some sort of benchmark), so where do you get a yard that constructs boats from aluminium in the 1930s and high speed turbodiesels?

There are all sorts of things you can apply to monohulls to get similar advantages for far less cost. Rather early for active stabilisers, but fixed vanes and deep bilge keels nicely damp out sea motions.

Personally, I think the structural issues with large multihulls would probably preclude them being able to be built in this period. It's just too high risk and cost for too little gain.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Red Admiral" (Aug 3rd 2010, 9:20pm)

Tuesday, August 3rd 2010, 9:04pm

Just chill, guys. Not worth it.

Tuesday, August 3rd 2010, 9:27pm

Quoted

Originally posted by perdedor99
Just chill, guys. Not worth it.

Da, I agree. There's no reason for me to get worked up about six one-hundred-ton unarmed pilot boats which aren't even in the Navy. I've researched the technology and I'm satisfied that it's feasible and workable within the limitations imposed by the sim rules.

Wednesday, August 4th 2010, 11:46pm

South China Morning Post
October 27th, 1939
HONG KONG

The Canadian Squadron has again returned to it's anchorage in Victoria Harbour, after another in a series of multi-day excursions that have occured since the ships arrived last month. Fisherman from southern Lantau have reported hearing and seeing explosions from the vincinity of the Soko Islands to the south while the ships have been reported to be at sea. No explanation for the recent activity has been forthcoming from either British or Canadian officials.

Monday, August 9th 2010, 1:14pm

October 28th, 1939

Note from the chinese government to the british governor of Hong Kong

"Dear Mr. Governor,

We are very concerned about the actions of your canadian allies. To date, it was a peaceful coexistence between our two nations, but we feel by the events in the past few days very threatened.
For this reason, we, as a precautionary measure, put our armed forces in the region of Hong Kong in increased readiness. I ask you to consider, that any further provocation by you or your allies,
could became a not deletable conflagration.

We will not tolerate further fighting exercises which are performed in such proximity to Chinese territory.

Kind regards

Chiang Kai Chek
Prime minister

Monday, August 9th 2010, 3:52pm

OOC: So China is declaring they "won't tolerate" Canadian ships operating in nearby international waters? Under which international agreements does China have the right to "not tolerate" warship movements beyond the recognized three-mile limit?

Coupled with the Chinese "demands" that Russia inform them of fleet movements between Russian ports, this is an extremely alarming series of actions on China's part.

-------------------------------

IC:

October 31st, 1939
From: Chilean Consulate, Hong Kong; Chilean Embassy in Beijing
To: Prime Minister Chang Kai-Shek
CC: Governor of Hong Kong and His Majesty's Government
Re: Free Exercise of Navigation

Dear Mr. Prime Minister,

A number of recent incidents regarding the Chinese misinterpretation of the principles of free exercise of navigation have been noted in recent months. Your government has protested the movement of Russian ships to the Kamchatka Peninsula; we now have learned of your recent protest of Commonwealth military exercises in the region of the British territory of Hong Kong. The Republic of Chile inquires what the Kingdom of China believes their rights to be under the international law of the sea that justifies your protest of these matters.

Sincerely,

- Mr. Roberto T. Mannweiss
Consul of the Republic of Chile, Hong Kong
- Mr. Raul Parra
Ambassador of the Republic of Chile to the Kingdom of China, Beijing

- For hand-delivery to the office of the Prime Minister.

Monday, August 9th 2010, 4:51pm

OOC: China's coming off as very Paranoid with these very demanding requests that, if any other nation requested, they would most liklely get told to sod off.

I'm sure as Atlantis, the Iberians and South Africans would laugh if I asked them to do the same.

The Canadian actions do seem a tad provocative but I'd hazzard a guess that they are the Canadians reply to recent Chinese demands that everyone inform them where their fleets in the region are.

Soon I'd expect France/Indochina to recieve similar demands, followed by demands handed to the Dutch....

Monday, August 9th 2010, 4:53pm

And finally, demands handed to Latvia to know where their fleet is in the Baltic, 10,000 miles away...