You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Friday, May 21st 2010, 6:48am

Noticias desde Mexico 1938

Marzo 18

In a radio announcement today to the entire nation, Presidente Cardenas has announced the expropriation of all oil resources and facilities by the United States of Mexico. All foreign companies operating on Mexican soil will be nationalized, and their owners compensated for their losses.

Transcript of the President's Speech (Spanish)

El Presidente making his announcement

Marzo 23

Crows estimated at 100,000 have rallied today at the capital in a show of support for Presidente Cardenas. Presidente, the nation of Mexico stands behind you!

Abril 12

Thousands of women have gathered at the Palacio de las Bellas Artes today to make donations to the general fund set up to pay the foreign companies.

Junio 7

The President announced today the creation of Petroleos Mexicanos (PEMEX) which will have with exclusive rights over the exploration, extraction, refining, and commercialization of oil in Mexico. The company will begin operations in two weeks time.

OOC Exactly the same as in OTL, even kept the dates the same.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexican_oil_expropriation

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Desertfox" (May 21st 2010, 7:00am)

Friday, May 21st 2010, 7:07am

And once again, as I've said before, the factors which made this successful in real life don't exist in Wesworld.

Friday, May 21st 2010, 7:25am

And factors that exist in WW that didn't historically make this rather dangerous, even.

Friday, May 21st 2010, 7:44am

But the factors that lead to it in OTL are present in WW.

WW is not supposed to be a Utopia...

Friday, May 21st 2010, 3:58pm

It's not a utopia.

Chile terminates all contracts for Mexican oil and splits the contract between Canadian and Musaean companies.

Friday, May 21st 2010, 4:21pm

Hmm looks like I'll have to do some more oil exploration in anticipation of business picking up. :)

Friday, May 21st 2010, 4:30pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Brockpaine
utopia.

I'm all for nationalisation, if was not for a fact that Poland has easy access to oil in both Romania and Russia. First being an ally second a friendly nation. Then some deal with new company can be made.

As for the utopia, well were I come from its closely resembles word "Utopi" with translates to "To Drown"
And that word has a strong negative connection.
Something like "Davy Jones Locker"

UTOPIA=UTOPIC

Plus word Utopia is logically contradiction, It is a impossibility in itself.

PS:sorry about that. I'm learning Japanese and only thing on my mind right now are Word Games.

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "Marek Gutkowski" (May 21st 2010, 4:36pm)

Friday, May 21st 2010, 4:37pm

In English, the word "Utopia" is derived from words that mean "Nowhere". Ill-educated people who haven't even read Sir Thomas More have instead redefined the name to mean "an ideal or idyllic society". The word better associated with that concept is eutopia.

Personally, most "utopias" presented in fiction are quite abhorrent to me.

Friday, May 21st 2010, 4:41pm

Poster appearing in various cities around the world...

Quoted

MEXICAN
NATIONALIZATION
=
EVIL

[SIZE=4]Boycot Mexican oil and products now![/SIZE]

... I wonder if any of the foreign companies will set their fields on fire...
:)

Friday, May 21st 2010, 4:47pm

Quoted

POWER TO THE PEOPLE

Protect the valiant Mexican People attempt to free themselves for the shackles of foreign oppression.

[SIZE=3]"Za Wolnosc nasza i Wasza"[/SIZE]

Friday, May 21st 2010, 4:50pm

Oil prices just skyrocketed.... Cause I think at the moment I am the third largest oil producer behind the US and the Netherlands.

Quoted

... I wonder if any of the foreign companies will set their fields on fire...

If they do, they will soon find themselves dead of 'natural causes' and 'accidents'...

Friday, May 21st 2010, 4:50pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Brockpaine
In English, the word "Utopia" is derived from words that mean "Nowhere". Ill-educated people who haven't even read Sir Thomas More have instead redefined the name to mean "an ideal or idyllic society". The word better associated with that concept is eutopia.

Personally, most "utopias" presented in fiction are quite abhorrent to me.

Unfortunately English is not a dead language so definitions change all the time.

Trying to fight it is like charging windmills.

Friday, May 21st 2010, 4:53pm

Quoted

Oil prices just skyrocketed.... Cause I think at the moment I am the third largest oil producer behind the US and the Netherlands.

Producer and exporter are two different things. :)

Quoted

If they do, they will soon find themselves dead of 'natural causes' and 'accidents'...

At least they will have died a noble death, unlike Mexico which will die a slow and agonizing death without its oil :D

Quoted

Trying to fight it is like charging windmills.

Don Quichotte'll know that best. :)

Friday, May 21st 2010, 5:00pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Rooijen10

Quoted

Producer and exporter are two different things. :)

According to some research I've done, a Mexican website said that "by 1960, Mexico had risen to become the world's seventh-largest oil exporter".

So no, definitely not third.

Friday, May 21st 2010, 5:03pm

Perhaps Mexico is the largest oil spiller in the world in 1939. *runs away* :D

Friday, May 21st 2010, 5:09pm

From the Zagreb Stock Exchange

Quotations for the shares of the National Petroleum Company Ltd. of Novi Sad skyrocketed today on news of international reaction to Mexico's nationalisation of its oil fields pushed oil prices higher. The company has been exploring, without success, for domestic oil sources, but speculators believe that higher oil prices will make previously 'uneconomic' discoveries more profitable.

Friday, May 21st 2010, 5:15pm

Poland:

With the rising oil prices a old topic resurfaced again.
The question about possibility of drilling for oil domestically at industrial output, and its cost to benefit ratio.
However once again the fact that it is constructing synthetic fuel refineries is still cheaper that creating a industry from scratch. Quelled the arguments.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Marek Gutkowski" (May 21st 2010, 5:16pm)

Friday, May 21st 2010, 5:21pm

That's in the 1960's, that's in the middle of the Golden Age of Middle Eastern oil. In the 1920's Mexico was the #1 oil exporter, exports dropped drastically during the 1930's due to the Great Depression (not present in WW). In the 1940's despite boycotts, Mexico was still the #5 oil exporter. Right now (in WW) it would probably be the US, the Dutch, then a three-way tie between Mexico,Venezuela, and Russia, with everyone else being too small too matter.

http://www.country-studies.com/mexico/oil.html

Friday, May 21st 2010, 5:48pm

Persia is one of main producers of the era. Is good news for India and Persia. With the end of the civil war by March 1939, the news are great for the recovery of the country. The price of oil will increase, Chile's reaction is pretty much the expected reaction and Atlantis announcement off the record also seems like they are pulling out of supporting Mexico in this endevour. India is happy that we have our own oil supply and not depend on the whims of the market.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "perdedor99" (May 21st 2010, 5:51pm)

Friday, May 21st 2010, 6:14pm

Atlantis isn't really pulling support, if nations effected by Mexican nationalization switch suppliers it benifits Venezuela, so really in a way I support it.

The way I see it Mexico as an oil producer is likely 5th, at best, behind Venezuela and Russia and I sence that very soon Mexico may be bumped down the rung by the ME.

Oil prices may rise but I sence Mexico's costs for everything else, not made in Mexico, will skyrocket too as their trade takes a hit from the backlash by effected nations.