You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Monday, May 17th 2010, 3:08pm

Quoted

Originally posted by thesmilingassassin
Byzantium will send the same pilot and same plane as last year if that final slot can't be filled.

That said, if we can get Greece into Talons I'll forgo the Byzantean entry.

Wes, you're psychic. I already filled that last spot. Sending Andreas Antoniou in a standard K-5.

General Characteristics:
Crew: 1
Lenghth: 8,8 m (28 ft 10 in) / Wingspan: 11 m (36 ft 1 in) / Height: 2.5 m (8 ft 3 in)
Engine:1x Hispano Suiza 12Y (890 HP / 664 kW)
Armament : 6 x 7.92 mm (0.31 cal )Machine guns
Speed max: 527 km/h (328 mph)
Range: 1120 km (696 miles)
Service ceiling: 10,000 m (32,808 ft)
Rate of climb: 13.2 m/s (43.3 ft/s)
Empty weight: 2,231 kg (4,918 lbs)
Loaded weight: 2,825 kg (6,228 lbs)
Max.takeoff weight: 2,900 kg (6,393 lbs)

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Sachmle" (May 18th 2010, 10:05pm)

Tuesday, May 18th 2010, 9:55pm

Parador,

Got you down as two single engined slots.

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Tuesday, May 18th 2010, 10:55pm

Detailed info on SAE entry:

JFM F-6E Swallow, aircraft name "Bad Temper", pilot Group Commander Klaas Mathusen, DSO, NB, PG and two time recipient of the Combat Medal who achieved confirmed victory in 20 air-to-air battles. The highly decorated Commander is known as one of the RSAFs best tacticians who had great influence on developing combat doctrines for the Fighter Command. His main interest is to get in touch with the international elite and learn their latest tricks and manoeuvres when fighting in the most modern fighter aircrafts.

JFM F-6E Swallow, aircraft name "Zakumi", pilot Squadron Leader Katlego Sibaya, NS, PB and recipient of the Combat Medal for 14 confirmed kills in air-to-air battles. Flying a F-3C Warhawk, he was the first black RSAF pilot to achieve victory over an enemy aircraft in flight when his unit defended Grand Uruguays northern border against Brazilian aggressors.

Stats for the F-6E should be available from Talons ´38.

Thursday, May 20th 2010, 12:52am

Romania's entries

Lt. Anton Dunceau in a Gothia GW 107, and Lt. Cosmin Manolescu in an Eclipse Typhoon. I was planning on sending a IAR 81, but it just misses the February deadline. Some prototypes might be ready by then.

Here is the data on both planes:

Eclipse Typhoon

General characteristics
Crew: 1
Length: 28 ft 3 in
Wingspan: 33 ft 6 in
Height: 8 ft 5 in
Wing area: 172 ft²
Empty weight: 4,200 lb
Loaded weight: 5,700 lb
Max takeoff weight: 5,929 lb
Powerplant: 1× Eclipse Federation (1200 hp)

Performance
Maximum speed: 392 mph
Range: 777 mi
Service: 33,000 ft
Rate of climb: 2,820 ft/min
Wing loading: 34.2 lb/ft²
Power/mass: 0.267 hp/lb
Armament

2 x 20 mm cannon in nose (100 rounds per gun, 200 rounds total)
4 × 7.62 mm machine guns in wings (500 rounds per gun 2000 total)

Gothia Type 107

MODEL Gothia Works Type 107
ENGINE GWM V-1300 1300Hp
WEIGHTS
Take-off weight 2900 kg
Empty weight 2000 kg
DIMENSIONS
Wingspan 9.70 m
Length 7.90 m
Height 2.70 m

PERFORMANCE
Max. speed 630 km/h
Range 750 km
ARMAMENT: 2x ~13mm MG, 4x~8mm MG

And Pics

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "TheCanadian" (May 20th 2010, 12:53am)

Saturday, May 22nd 2010, 7:52pm

Canada's entries will be a return of RCAF Cmdr. Reginald Antilles with a matured Burnelli CF-38 "Skipray" heavy fighter, and newcomer RCNAS Cmdr Mark Stele flying an Avro Canada YCF-12 "Pit Viper" fighter. The Canadian contingent will arrive aboard HMCS Hermes, which will be conducting a midshipman's cruise, along with carrying other Canadian products for display.

[SIZE=3]Avro Canada CF-12 "Pit Viper"[/SIZE]

Statistics
- Crew: 1
- Length: 26.6 ft
- Wingspan: 36 ft
- Height: 12 ft
- Wing area: 250 ft²
- Empty weight: 6,279 lbs
- Loaded weight: 8,250 lbs
- Powerplant: Orenda Oneida II (1750hp)
- Armament: 4x12.7mm MG (nose), 600 pound payload

Performance
- Maximum speed: 400 mph
- Max Range: 820 mi
- Service ceiling: 32,250 ft
- Rate of Climb: 3,083 ft/min

[SIZE=3]Burnelli CF-38 "Skipray" Heavy Fighter[/SIZE]

Statistics
- Crew: 1
- Length: 37.9 ft
- Wingspan: 59 ft
- Height: 14 ft
- Wing area: 450 ft²
- Empty weight: 12,474 lbs
- Loaded weight: 17,500 lbs
- Powerplant: 2 Orenda Oneida II (1750hp)
- Armament: 4x20mm MG (nose), 2x7.62mm MG (Dorsal), 2000 pound payload

Performance
- Maximum speed: 426 mph
- Max Range: 1,008 mi
- Service ceiling: 40,900 ft
- Rate of Climb: 3,600 ft/min

Saturday, May 22nd 2010, 8:57pm

The CF-12 might just be the most hideous fighter ever to fly. Anhedral wings and canard, highly swept wing, and small tail likely mean it's pretty unstable as well.

Specs for the CF-38 look pretty optimistic as well. Comparison with the P-38 would seem to indicate that it should be quite a bit heavier with consequently lower performance, especially speed and climb.

Saturday, May 22nd 2010, 10:42pm

I'm puzzled by the swept wings, and how the pilot is going to escape the plane, not to mention what Canada's using for a 1750 hp engine.

Sunday, May 23rd 2010, 11:05am

The Orenda Oneida is a further development of the Rolls-Royce Griffon built in Canada.

How does the pilot safely get out of the Saab F-21 or the DAF Falcon II? Same with any pusher engine.

The latest drawing is better than the first few, the bigger dorsal area behind the canopy should help directional stability, the canard is risky and I've explained that to ShinRa but he wants the unusual for Canada. Having built and tested another previous canard fighter design I think Avro Canada would know what they are doing a bit more than if this was a first design.
The swept wings aren't for speed, more for balance like the Shinden or the XP-56. I admit some concerns myself as to stability but then who can whether 75% of the kitbashed drawings that appear on these pages are stable enough to fly. Some even lack radiators!

I'm sure ShinRa is willing to further develop the type if folks have serious problems with it.

Sunday, May 23rd 2010, 12:56pm

Quoted

Having built and tested another previous canard fighter design I think Avro Canada would know what they are doing a bit more than if this was a first design.

It would help, but still doesn't really solve the problems. The stability issues are more acute here with such a short aircraft and quite a bit of anhedral. The tail needs to be big because it's not very far from the cg and has a short moment arm. I can't see it being particularly successful, but I can see it being rather dangerous.

Sunday, May 23rd 2010, 3:56pm

Maybe Shin should add a ventral fin and lengthen the fuselage behind the cockpit? That would give more internal space. I agree wing anhedral is a problem. Better than FSW though, and I've seen that kind of concept floated about recently.

Sunday, May 23rd 2010, 4:13pm

Internal space isn't needed, what's needed is more vertical surface area. You probably need quite a bit anyway as the rear prop makes the control surfaces less effective. I don't really think you could do much to the design to make it work that well. Conventional works for a reason (latest issue of AWST has a lot on bluesky 2025 airliner concepts. Lots of crazy stuff looked at, pretty much all deciding that conventional tube and wing is the best bet)

I'm not sure about anyone looking at forward swept wings (FSW?) here. They can be made to work at low speed - but in that case, the straight wing is better. At high speed they're basically impossible in this timeframe.

Sunday, May 23rd 2010, 4:24pm

I was meaning side-area, internal space would be a bonus. With a higher dorsal spine and ventral fin it might solve some problems. Would straight inner panels and swept outer panels like the DC-3 help?

A FSW wing on a fighter has been proposed, can't remember who by but I did say it wouldn't work. The reasons being obvious really as you point out.

Sunday, May 23rd 2010, 7:05pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Hood
I was meaning side-area, internal space would be a bonus. With a higher dorsal spine and ventral fin it might solve some problems. Would straight inner panels and swept outer panels like the DC-3 help?

It might help, but it's unlikely to solve the problem. You might be able to develop a design that's reasonably stable in level flight, but as a fighter performing manoeuvres, probably not.

I'd go for wing rudders as they're more effective, and move the canard to the nose. Still unlikely to be very good.

Sunday, May 23rd 2010, 7:14pm

Englarged tailfin, something I was considering anyway from an asthetics point, and a ventral stub.

Monday, May 24th 2010, 2:18pm

Forward swept wings

Here in WW, Heinkel and Junkers are looking at these in the wind tunnels at the moment. I've done up a Planebuilder of the Heinkel P.1076, but there's no way that design's evaporative cooling would get the go-ahead for a production aircraft.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Hrolf Hakonson" (May 26th 2010, 1:20pm)

Tuesday, May 25th 2010, 11:11pm

parador,

I need your second entry please. It needs to be a single-engined plane.
Thanks.

Wednesday, May 26th 2010, 8:54pm

RE: Forward swept wings

Quoted

Originally posted by Hrolf Hakonson
Here in WW, Heinkel and Junkers are looking at these in the wind tunnels at the moment. I've done up a Planebuilder of the Heinkel P.1076, but there's no way that design's evaporative cooling would get the go-ahead for a production aircraft.

I don't understand the forward sweep on the P1076. It's so small you don't really get any aerodynamic benefit, but still get into structural issues. The performance estimates do seem a tad optimistic. As soon as you add the cooling drag for 2500hp the speed will come down a lot.

Wednesday, June 2nd 2010, 12:53pm

Sorry Hood for the delay !!!!! Ash on my head !!!

Second entry:
Dark Blue painted with shiny yellow stars: Lt. Zhu Jia-Xun