You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Thursday, May 15th 2003, 12:27pm

Saved Thread - AWNR India: 26 November 1920

The Rock Doctor
Spammer wanna be
(4/27/03 12:57:46 am)
Reply AWNR India: 26 November 1920
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Player Note: Really should've posted this on April 26th, but this is as close as I could get...)

ANWR India: 26 November 1920

1. Update on Abduction Crisis

Good evening from Al Salif, a town that now resembles the site of a naval fleet review. Early yesterday morning, a squadron of six Indian warships arrived at this locally important port, bring with them both an envoy and two battalions of crack infantry. The squadron anchored just northeast of Kamran Island, which shelters the ‘J’ shaped body of water immediately north of Al Salif.

Meanwhile, Japanese warships are present as far as the eye can see. It is now thought that as many as five battleships have arrived in the area, including the brand new Nagato. Their presence has further raised anxiety in Al Salif, which finds itself confronted with at least the threat of invasion.

Yemeni forces have been mustered in anticipation of military action. Ottoman-era fortifications along Kamran Island, and on the mainland immediately east of the island, are under tight security, but sources have heard that several companies of infantry are within their perimeters. One source also told AWNR that there are several large caliber guns in the fortresses that can "dispose of the Indian aggressors in short order."

Meanwhile, the Yemeni government says that India is provoking the incident at the whim of its leader, the Raj. Here is what one senior official had to say:

“The Raj and his lackeys would have the world believe that Raveena Pillai is the second coming of Helen of Troy, abducted against her will by evil-doers. This is merely a ploy whose actual objective is to seize Al Salif, its valuable salt mines, and its excellent port facilities. In truth, Ms. Pillai has journeyed to Al Salif of her own volition, and is humiliated by India’s unfounded and provocative accusations. She merely wishes a new direction in her life, free from the confines of India’s stifling castes and obsolescent monarchy.”

Nonetheless, India appears determined to continue working for Ms. Pillai’s return to their care. A special envoy from the Raj has arrived with the squadron and is expected to head ashore tomorrow in an attempt to initiate negotiations with the Yemeni government.

AWNR reporters are arriving on the scene for more comprehensive coverage. Our correspondent from Britain’s Aden Protectorate, David Haversham, is in the Yemeni capital of Sanaa, while South African reporter Nick Quick has just arrived in Al Salif itself. Both will be keeping AWNR updated on events in this crisis...

The Rock Doctor
Spammer wanna be
(4/28/03 7:39:44 pm)
Reply Breaking news...28 November
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“...Correspondent Nick Quick in Al Salif, a town that now reminds me of the scene at Gallipoli five years ago! Just one day after the arrest of their envoy by Yemeni authorities, and just three days after their arrival, the Indian naval squadron has launched an amphibious assault on Al Salif!

[Light caliber gunfire can be heard continually as Mr. Quick speaks. Louder reports from artillery pieces can also be heard intermittently]

“Just after sunrise, about an hour ago, numerous small craft containing Indian troops began moving toward a beach just northeast of Al Salif. Yemeni forces have engaged the troops, and have in turn been targeted by a destroyer.

“Off Kamran Island, the cruiser Columbo is exchanging fire with the fortifications on the island. The Columbo has been hit amidships and is burning between her first and second funnel, while at least two large plumes of smoke are rising from the fortress. A Japanese destroyer seems to be approaching the Columbo, I assume to help her put out the...oh, my! The Yemenis are still firing and straddled the Japanese ship with at least one shell!

“High overhead, a single aircraft is circling the town. It seems to have floats, so it must be Japanese, as the Columbo carries none. More splashes - oh, and a hit! - around the Columbo. Columbo has been struck again, below her bridge...I can’t tell yet how serious the damage is. Two more close misses near the Japanese destroyer, which has begun spraying water at the fire on the Indian-“.

[A drawn-out rumble lasts four seconds]

My word! A Japanese battleship has opened fire with its main guns! I’m going to head for some shelt-“

[Deafening noise erupts and AWNR loses the transmission from Mr. Quick]

King of Riva
Spammer wanna be
(4/29/03 3:35:13 am)
Reply Uh!
Nick Quick as embedded corespondent? *outch*

Nice story!

Nitpicking: "oh, my! The Yemenis are still firing and straddled the Japanese ship with at least one shell!"

How could a ship be _straddled_ by one shell? Don´t you need at least two shells for a straddle?

The Rock Doctor
Spammer wanna be
(4/29/03 6:11:55 am)
Reply Re: Uh!
I suppose you would need at least two shells. But hey, Nick's probably a bit stressed out at the moment.

Pengolodh
Spammer wanna be
(4/30/03 4:55:08 pm)
ezSupporter
Re: Uh!

Quote:
How could a ship be _straddled_ by one shell? Don´t you need at least two shells for a straddle?

If the single shell breaks up in flight....

Impressive achievement by the ANWR to have embedded reporters with 1920s radio-technology. I can't imagine Britain being particularly happy about this, btw - this is awfully close to the British colony of Aden, and the fighting is going on on the Red Sea coast, which is a major sea-lane for the British Empire.
Best regards
Pengolodh
"Iraq will not be defeated. Iraq has now already achieved victory - apart from some technicalities."
- Mohsen Khalil, Iraqi Ambassador to the Arab League

The Rock Doctor
Spammer wanna be
(4/30/03 8:31:25 pm)
Reply Re: Uh!
Those ANWR guys are ahead of their time to be sure. Maybe he phoned the radio station and the announcer put the phone next to the microphone.

Britain probably wouldn't be happy with this event, but India's probably working on some behind-the-scenes diplomacy. British-Indian relations have been generally good (= no shooting) over the past few decades so there is something to work with.

As a player note, I would add that it's not easy in 1920 to find an independent nation in the region to act as the antagonist...too many colonial powers doing the imperialism thing.