You are not logged in.

Thursday, May 6th 2010, 4:38pm

1939 Chilean submarines

A couple questions:

1 - How are you simming the 600mm tubes? Subsim doesn't ask tube size, and it doesn't look like you're using SS2 or SS3.

2 - Why the 600mm tubes? Granted, the long 600mm torpedoes in use by various countries have a long range, but that shouldn't be as much of an issue for a submarine. The big torps are also 50% or more heavier than their smaller cousins, making them harder to handle in the crowded confines of a submarine.

Thursday, May 6th 2010, 4:44pm

Using the 600mm tubes because RA put those on the Union-class boats he simmed for me. I just copied and pasted that bit over. It's likely I'll revert back to 21" before they're completed for the reasons you listed (and take the Unions down as well) considering the 600mm torpedo is delayed entering service. (The planned surface ships which were going to carry the 600mm torps were canceled.)

The aft 40" tubes on the Lautaro are for minelaying. Probably won't develop any torpedoes for those. Then again, I might develop something just to scare the tar out of the battleship boys. :D

Thursday, May 6th 2010, 6:45pm

Quoted

1 - How are you simming the 600mm tubes? Subsim doesn't ask tube size, and it doesn't look like you're using SS2 or SS3.

Assuming that the weight is proportional the square of the bore size, which is pretty true.

I can't remember exactly why there were 600mm torpedo tubes. I think it might have been another case of Italy including a few novel features into the design because someone else was paying.

Thursday, May 6th 2010, 7:01pm

In that case I might prefer to use 21" torpedoes. Chile's Type X 600mm torpedoes are pretty big fish intended for cruisers and destroyers, but the Type IX 21" is smaller and more submarine-applicable.