You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Sunday, April 25th 2004, 10:29pm

Turning back the clock!!!!

Gentlemen, it has just come to my notice while I was doing some research, I discovered that the (as they are known today) US Virgin Islands were Danish territory up until 1917, when the Danish Government sold them to the US for something in the region of 1.5 million dollars.

The proposal I wish to put to you is as follows....
Would you be willing to allow the clock to be turned back to allow me, as the current Danish Government, to claim that this sale NEVER took place and that the "Danish Virgin Islands" are still just that, DANISH!!

I am willing to be bound by the majority decision on this, as I didn't include it in my original landgrab!

Your thoughts please gentlemen,
Commodore Green

P.S. I am willing to offer very reasonably priced package deals during the summer season!!

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Sunday, April 25th 2004, 11:40pm

Turning back time...

What are you willing to give away instead?

HoOmAn

Sunday, April 25th 2004, 11:49pm

huh? what is that all about Hoo? When I claimed Macao on similar grounds there was no mention of giving away something? Let's not get more anal than necessary please ...

Monday, April 26th 2004, 12:49am

Lets not turn this thread into a war please. I specifically instructed CG to post here to find out if we would have any problems with this idea of his. If you disagree or agree please post why (politely).

Monday, April 26th 2004, 2:09am

No objection from France or Russia

No problem.

Monday, April 26th 2004, 2:16am

neither from Iberia

Monday, April 26th 2004, 2:22am

that's perfect with me :)

Monday, April 26th 2004, 5:50am

I'm working on the assumtion that the Virgin Islands are not owned by any players in the SIM, is this correct?
What about the British Virgin Islands? Given the fact that the UK is a shadow of its former self I can only assume that the British portion will remain British.

HoOmAn

Monday, April 26th 2004, 9:42am

Turning back time (part2)...

My question remains: Are you offering anything in return or do you simply want those islands for free?

Offering something in return could make things more interesting depending on what it is. Maybe the USN can get a base where they never had one or something similar..... Any ideas?

However, if the majority doesn´t care I won´t stop you from taking those islands.

Regards,

HoOmAn

PS: LA, whatever I post you seem to look out for a reason to attack me on it personally and you´re doing so on a regular basis. As a moderator who is interested to avoid flame wars on his boards time and again I will no longer accept this. So watch your tone. You´ve been warned.

Monday, April 26th 2004, 2:18pm

Be cool, guys...

Quoted

Gentlemen, it has just come to my notice while I was doing some research, I discovered that the (as they are known today) US Virgin Islands were Danish territory up until 1917, when the Danish Government sold them to the US for something in the region of 1.5 million dollars.

Dude, I pointed this out months ago.

Since you're still not technically in the game yet (not for a couple of days, anyway), I can accept it.

Monday, April 26th 2004, 5:09pm

I've got no problems with it. Heck it just took me 10mins to find out where they are.

Monday, April 26th 2004, 8:03pm

I'm not sure Denmark would have anything to offer the U.S. Maybe CG should post some info as to how the sale was made.

Monday, April 26th 2004, 10:06pm

Danish colonies through the years!!

A brief timeline.....
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Styx/6497/DanishP.html

And a brief reason for the sale...
During the 18th century, the archipelago was divided into two territorial units, one English and the other Danish. Sugarcane, produced by slave labour, drove the islands' economy during the 18th and early 19th centuries. During the submarine warfare phases of the First World War, the USA feared that these islands might be seized by Germany as a submarine base and accordingly approached Denmark to sell the islands to the USA. On January 17, 1917, the United States bought the Danish West Indies for $25 million and took possession of the islands on March 31. The Danish Crown may have felt pressure to accept the sale, thinking that the USA would seize the islands, if Denmark was invaded by Germany.

(Got the price wrong, so much for my memory!!!)

Sorry Rocky, forgot all about you mentioning it!!

HoOmAn, OK I'll throw in free child places aswell!!!!

Monday, April 26th 2004, 11:29pm

Well if the U.S. was conserned enough perhaps they instead worked out a deal for basing rights for either their army or navy?

Tuesday, April 27th 2004, 2:09am

Like the situation at Guantanamo Bay in Cuba?

I could live with them having a small base on one of the 3 islands!

Could only help Danish-American relations!!

Tuesday, April 27th 2004, 2:47pm

Hooman,

my use of the word 'anal' was the use of an English colloquialism, it is short for 'anal retentive' in the freudian sense and is not used as an insult, nor was it meant as one. If I have caused offence I apologise, it was not in my intent. What was my intent was to comment on an apparent change in the way we treat requests on this board.

Bernhard

Tuesday, April 27th 2004, 2:50pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Commodore Green
Like the situation at Guantanamo Bay in Cuba?

I could live with them having a small base on one of the 3 islands!

Could only help Danish-American relations!!

not to mention your revenue ;-)

HoOmAn

Tuesday, April 27th 2004, 3:10pm

Quoted

Originally posted by LordArpad
Hooman,

my use of the word 'anal' was the use of an English colloquialism, it is short for 'anal retentive' in the freudian sense and is not used as an insult, nor was it meant as one. If I have caused offence I apologise, it was not in my intent. What was my intent was to comment on an apparent change in the way we treat requests on this board.

Bernhard

Thank you for explaining this to me. I really took it as an offence and inappropriate language - and the latter is what I don´t like to see on this boards.

So this seems to be my fault and I apologise for reacting the way I did. Let both of us take it as a warning.

Regards,

HoOmAn

PS: There wasn´t really a change in the way we treat requests - I was just curious to know if he´s willing to give away something instead thus changing and not cancelling the deal with the US at all. So the question maybe should have been worded as "Are you willing to give away something instead?"...

Tuesday, April 27th 2004, 3:31pm

I would be willing to allow the use of the island of St. John by the US Navy, leasing it to them for 50 years for say 5 million dollars of the day.

how does that sound??

next question is, what to do with all that nice money??

Tuesday, April 27th 2004, 3:42pm

That sounds good to me. I'm sure the Danish National Health Care Plan will appreciate the top-up.