You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Monday, March 1st 2010, 6:18pm

Argentine Aircraft 1939

Fabrica Militar de Aviones

Still perfecting the I-02 Pulqui, production to begin early in 1939 and prototype tests of the I-02 to begin next year with the 1,500hp Spartan V-12 as the defintive model.

FMA I-01-IIB Buchon ground-attack aircraft, 144 ordered and prodcution will continue into mid 1939 when the line will then close and convert to I-02 production.

Six FMA I.Ae 2T monoplane two-seat trainers and six FMA I.Ae 3T monoplane single-seat trainers will be delivered to Paraguay. These will probably be the last of these trainers off the production line.

FMA I.Ae 7 four-engined airliners will enter service with Aeravias Argentinas S.A. and LAN-Chile during 1939.

Here is the sole new aircraft design from FMA in 1939;

I.Ae.20 El Boyero (The Herdsman)
Designed in late 1938 by three student designers studying at the Cordoba Technical School after studying the latest American cabin monoplanes and first flown in mid 1939 as a two-seat light cabin aircraft for club use and with a secondary role as an air force liaison aircraft. 150 have been ordered by the Ministry of Transport for Argentine aero clubs which will take 100 and the balance of the order will go to the air force as spotter and patrol aircraft. The type is available for private sales as well.
Dimensions: span 11.5m; length 7.1m; height 1.81m; wing area 17.7 sq m; wing loading 31.07kg/ sq m; power loading 8.46kg/hp
Structure: steel-tube fuselage truss with forward fuselage light alloy fuselage covering with fabric aft of the firewall, light alloy used for tail and tailplane construction with fabric covering. High-position wing with light alloy spars and stringers with piano wire internal bracing with wooden ailerons with fabric covering. Rudder and elevators aluminium framed with fabric covering. Simple fixed main undercarriage with mechanical brakes and a non-retractable tail wheel.
Weights: empty 325kg; gross weight 550kg and payload 225kg
Powerplant: one 65hp Continental A65-8 with a Fenolizada wooden two-blade propeller
Performance: max speed 100mph; range 400 miles and service ceiling 13,100ft
Capacity: pilot and passenger seated side-by-side in a cabin with dual-controls
Equipment: full controls and navigation equipment including a radio receiver/transmitter.

IMPA (Compania Industria Metalurgica & Plastica S.A.)
Has orders for 72 Vanquish III bombers for the Air Force and 48 for the Navy for delivery until 1940. After that who knows? No new types in development and licence agreements with Accrisius so far have resulted in no production in Argentina.

Tucan
Production of 72 Tucan T-17B ground-attack bombers should finish in 1939, T-18 production ended and no orders yet received for the private-venture Tucan T-18B NB-2 dive-bomber. The Navy has not yet made any offical interest in the type beyond testing.

Saturday, March 20th 2010, 5:57pm

The Commando de Aviacion Naval Argentina has announced three new requirements.

1) A seaplane to replace the FMA I.Ae 1 Guarani in the light transport role. Single engine perferred but a twin may be considered, must seat a pilot (preferably a co-pilot or radio operator too) and at least five but no more than twelve passengers. 12 to be ordered during 1939 for delivery before the end of 1940.

2) A light seaplane to operate on the Rio Parana/Rio Paraguay. Must accomodate at least two crew and be armed with at least two forward-firing fixed weapons and a dorsal MG plus provision for a bombload 100-500kg. Must be reliable and manoeurveable. 6+ to be ordered during 1939 for delivery before the end of 1940.

3) A twin-engined VIP transport. Must be capable of safe high-speed flight, economical to run, two pilots and radio-operator/engineer, must seat at least eight passengers. Must have good VIP fittings and fixtures. 3 to be brought during 1939.

Saturday, March 20th 2010, 6:52pm

Woah, I actually have planes that meet these specs!

Quoted

Originally posted by Hood
1) A seaplane to replace the FMA I.Ae 1 Guarani in the light transport role. Single engine perferred but a twin may be considered, must seat a pilot (preferably a co-pilot or radio operator too) and at least five but no more than twelve passengers. 12 to be ordered during 1939 for delivery before the end of 1940.

Well, Chile designed this thing. The Navy bought two, the postal service bought one, the aerial survey office bought one, and some private contracts have been filled. Twasn't anything too fancy, and you might be able to redesign to take a single engine. I used two for reliability.

I think this plane went to Constelación Aeronave in the recent reorganization, so it'd become the Constelación CA-02 Frigatebird.

[SIZE=3]Constelación Aeronave CA-02 Frigatebird Flying Boat[/SIZE]
Statistics
- Crew: 2 (pilot + spotter/radioman) + 4-6 passengers with some cargo
- Length: 42.6 ft (13m)
- Wingspan: 59 ft / 18m
- Height: 17.2 ft / 5.25m
- Wing area: 333.7 ft² / 31m²
- Empty weight: 5,952 lbs (2700 kg)
- Loaded weight: 11,000 lbs (4,989 kg)
- Powerplant: Two de Havilland Gipsy Twelve inline piston engines, 525 hp
- Armament: 2x.30cal MG (rear cockpit)

Performance
- Maximum speed: 200 mph / 321.9 kph (173.8 knots)
- Max Range: 920 mi ( km)
- Service ceiling: 12,000 ft (3,657 m)
- Rate of climb: 6.4 ft/s (1.95 m/s)

Notes
The Valdivia Frigatebird was designed as a parasol-winged flying boat for the Armada de Chile. The Frigatebird has two engines in a sponson, operating in push-pull configuration, above the wings. A passenger-compartment aft of the cockpit is suitable for four to six passengers in cramped conditions. The Frigatebird was offered to the Armada de Chile Arma Aerea for consideration as a shipboard floatplane, but the AdCAA felt the Sea Coati, despite its lesser speed, was the superior aircraft. Nevertheless the AdCAA has purchased two as patrol and liaison planes for the region of Tierra del Fuego and the southern coast.

Quoted

2) A light seaplane to operate on the Rio Parana/Rio Paraguay. Must accomodate at least two crew and be armed with at least two forward-firing fixed weapons and a dorsal MG plus provision for a bombload 100-500kg. Must be reliable and maneuverable. 6+ to be ordered during 1939 for delivery before the end of 1940.

ENAER's got some of these in production for the Chilean Navy. Not a perfect match because the single central float rather messes up the ability to carry a larger bomb. The more recent Chilean versions are being equipped with an Austral Streiff (licensed-built Roth 1,000hp radial). Again, you might be able to custom-tailor the aircraft for twin floats and a larger bomb-load. (And, I note, the Argentine Navy already has a few Coati-N types in service as training aircraft.)

[SIZE=3]ENAER Sea Coati Naval Recce Plane[/SIZE]
Statistics
- Crew: 2 (pilot + spotter/radioman)
- Length: 31 ft (9.5m)
- Wingspan: 42 ft / 12.8m
- Height: 9.8 ft / 3m
- Wing area: 236.8 ft² / 22m²
- Empty weight: 5,100 lbs (2,313 kg)
- Loaded weight: 6,000 lbs (2,721 kg)
- Powerplant: Bristol Mercury (870hp) radial, optional Spartan-900 V12 (900hp)
- Armament: 2x.30cal MG (rear cockpit), two under-wing depth-charges or 100lbs bombs

Performance
- Maximum speed: 185 mph / 418 kph (225 knots)
- Max Range: 700 mi (1,126.5 km)
- Service ceiling: 18,000 ft (5,486.4 m)
- Rate of climb: 7 ft/s (2.13 m/s)

Quoted

3) A twin-engined VIP transport. Must be capable of safe high-speed flight, economical to run, two pilots and radio-operator/engineer, must seat at least eight passengers. Must have good VIP fittings and fixtures. 3 to be brought during 1939.

It's got a bit larger capacity than required, but it was designed as a light cargo/air-liner. Interior furnishings can be redesigned as necessary to fit fewer people in more comfort. As to "safe high speed flight"... uh... does 170mph count as high enough speeds? :P

(Was originally Valdivia Twin Condor; went to Constelación Aeronave as the CA-01 Condor during the recent reorganization.)

Edited to add: The Constelación Condor can be equipped with floats and thus could also be tendered to #1 - but it would seat more than 12 passengers. The Frigatebird seemed a better tender for #1, and the designer is sad because the Frigatebird hasn't sold very well.

[SIZE=4]Constelación Aeronave CA-01 Condor - Utility Aircraft[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Specifications:[/SIZE]
- Crew: 1-2
- Passengers: 18
- Length: 47 feet
- Wingspan: 59 feet
- Height: 16 feet
- Wing area: 410 ft²
- Empty weight: 5,520 pounds
- Loaded weight: 10,000 pounds
- Powerplant: 2x Gipsy Six (200hp), or Canadian Orenda engines

[SIZE=3]Performance:[/SIZE]
- Maximum speed: 150 knots (172mph)
- Max Range: 700 nautical miles (engine dependent)
- Service ceiling: 18,000 feet
- Rate of climb: 7 ft/s (2.13 m/s)

[SIZE=3]Notes:[/SIZE]
The Twin Condor is a twin-engined, high-winged aircraft designed for use off extremely short or rough airfields, and in all weather conditions. The aircraft, nicknamed "TwinCon" or "Condorito", has a short take-off and landing roll. In the short time since its introduction, the Twin Condor has become one of the most successful planes ever built in Chile, receiving orders from LAN, Fuerza Aérea de Chile, the Chilean Department of Geosurvey, and numerous other small aircraft operators.

Saturday, March 20th 2010, 7:20pm

Canadian Car & Foundy submits the CBY-3 "Loadmaster" (Historical CBY-3, but with Orenda engines) for the VIP Transport role.

Saturday, March 20th 2010, 8:11pm

Quoted

2) A light seaplane to operate on the Rio Parana/Rio Paraguay. Must accomodate at least two crew and be armed with at least two forward-firing fixed weapons and a dorsal MG plus provision for a bombload 100-500kg. Must be reliable and manoeurveable. 6+ to be ordered during 1939 for delivery before the end of 1940.

Danziger Flugzeugbau S(ee) A(ufklärer)-100

Type: Reconnaissance and ASW
Engines: 2x 270 Hp
Maximum speed: 245 km / h
Service Ceiling: 4500 m
Range: 840 km
Empty weight 2,230 kg
Maximum take-off weight:
Wing Span: 15.20 m
Length: 11,20 m
Height: 4.48 m
Wing surface: 33.55 m2
Armament: Two 7,92mm machine guns plus 200 kg bombs or depth charges
Crew: 3

Sunday, March 21st 2010, 1:30am

Arado can offer the Ar-196 for the riverine floatplane role, the aircraft is in service with the Luftwaffe and fits the requirements perfectly.

Lockheed can offer the Model 14 Super Electra for the VIP transport.

Sunday, March 21st 2010, 11:13am

Some interesting designs here. I'll leave the choice for a bit to see what else comes along but I've marked three potential winners already.

Hrolf, are the Ar-196 specs as OTL? Thought I'd best check so I can compare against the Sea Coati.

Also I have 8 Westland Wapitis that will need replacing soon so the winner of Spec 2 might well have a bigger order to cover this need too. So probably all entries to Spec 2 will need to be strong enough for catapult launch. I know the Ar-196 and I assume the same for the Sea Coati.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Hood" (Mar 21st 2010, 11:15am)

Sunday, March 21st 2010, 11:14am

For requirement 1, Caproni would like to offer their Z.501 Gabbiano, re-engined with an Alfa-Romeo 128 radial engine (the IF Asso IX) being out of production. It's long ranged, simple and reliable.

The historical Fiat CR.25 would fit the third requirement very nicely, but I can't really justify starting production for only 3 examples, unless Argentina is willing to accept a very high unit cost.

Sunday, March 21st 2010, 11:26am

Quoted

So probably all entries to Spec 2 will need to be strong enough for catapult launch. I know the Ar-196 and I assume the same for the Sea Coati.

The Chileans have been catting their Sea Coatis off their cruisers since they came into service, and no issues yet.

By the way, I need to add: the Sea Coati can have forward fixed MGs like the rest of the Coati types - the Chilean Navy planes just neglected them.

Sunday, March 21st 2010, 4:24pm

Ah I'm inpatient to select the winners. I know what I want and surprisingly what I wanted turned up in the offers.

So;

1) The winner is the Constelacion Aeronave CA-02 Frigatebird, the order is for 12.

2) The winner is the ENAER Sea Coati, just pipped the Ar-196 becuase the type is already in service. The Commando de Aviacion Naval asks that ENEAR develop a twin-float layout for our aircraft and the total order will be 14 to replace the Wapitis and form a new sqaudron on the Rio Parana. We also ask if 13mm MGs can be fitted in the fixed positions and the engine is to be the 1,000hp licence-built Roth.

3) The winner is the Lockheed Model 14 Super Electra, the one I had my money on. Total order is 3 aircraft for VIP duties.

Sunday, March 21st 2010, 8:07pm

1.) Done! And the Frigatebird picked up a civilian order from JAL, too, so looks like the design was just a slow starter with the marketing...

2.) 13mm MGs, twin floats, and Austral Streiff can be done, no sweat. I think with the twin floats, that frees up the centerline mounts again for it to carry a bit more ordnance, too.

Sunday, March 21st 2010, 8:11pm

Quoted

Some interesting designs here. I'll leave the choice for a bit to see what else comes along but I've marked three potential winners already.

Hrolf, are the Ar-196 specs as OTL? Thought I'd best check so I can compare against the Sea Coati..

There are two versions, the OTL version and a version powered by the Jumo-208, which is the Ar-196D. -196D's stats follow:

Arado Ar-196D

General Type:
Airplane = 1
Airship = 2
Orbiter = 3

Year of First Flight: 1937

Description

Flying Boat / Seaplane
Monoplane
Conventional Fuselage

A Jumo-208 powered version of the Ar-196 for the Kreigsmarine. Armed with a 7.92mm MG-81Z in the observers cockpit, twin 15mm MG-151s in the wing roots, and capable of carrying a pair of 50 kg bombs or depth bombs under the wings.

Characteristics:

Weight (maximum) 8,420 lbs
Weight (empty) 6,585 lbs

Length 38.5 ft
Wingspan 50 ft
Wing Area 408 sq ft
Sweep 1 degrees

Engines 1
Junkers Jumo 208A
Piston

1,223 hp
at 8,000 ft