You are not logged in.

Friday, February 5th 2010, 9:28pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Red Admiral

Quoted

Its a question of "try and fail" or "don't bother".

The most likely scenario is going to have Australia operating alongside the RN (and probably others) so its not a simple case of failing. Building units that nicely fit into and complement the RN's fleet would be wise. This ship doesn't do that. Much better off building a larger ship like the Lions that'll better complement the RN. It'll also be much better for roles in a reduced threat environment.

Again, ditto'd. If I were an RN commander in the SE Asia region, an Australian equivalent of the Saint Vincents, the V-class or the Lion would be a welcome addition to any squadron. This design would be a liability: it's not powerful enough to stand with other modern battleships and battlecruisers, and it's speed is wasted cruising with QEs.

Saturday, February 6th 2010, 1:24am

Given the list of weapons available via Britain I think Australia can do better in the BB catagory. Can a 15/16" gunned ship beat an 18" gunned ship with 50% mass advantage? Maybe 1 out of 12 try's, but she can certainly ruin her day and a mission kill is alot more likely and would buy Australia time as she rally's her allies.

Saturday, February 6th 2010, 12:16pm

I know there are differences between GB and Australia at the moment but I'm willing to offer the four twin 15in turrets from the Courageous and Glorious to Australia for nothing.

That would save tonnage on a new BB and you'd still have the 13.5in guns left for a super CA killer.
Myself I'd build an 8x15in BB along the lines of the St.Vincent and an 8x13.5in BC. Ten big guns just doesn't work well in a captial ship unless you transfer the guns into new triple turrets.

Australia could buy 16.5in turrets from Vickers-Armstrongs at very reasonable prices. There is no such thing as a cheap BB, to cover all bases you need to spend at least 35-40,000 tons light weight. Saving armament costs will save you some expense.

Hood is rebuilt and now better than she was but she's still old. I'm not sure how much life she realistically has left.

Sunday, February 7th 2010, 12:27pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Hood
Hood is rebuilt and now better than she was but she's still old. I'm not sure how much life she realistically has left.

Given all the new ships, probably not long.

I'd leave off the 13.5" gunned capital ship. Something like Vanguard with 8x15"/42 wouldn't be too bad for Australia, and it's affordable.