You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Friday, February 26th 2010, 11:42pm

Might as well add a extra twin 1.57'' mount over the fore battery, for balance. It shouldn't add more than 5-6 tons, which the mighty British Empire of 200,000 tons per year can probebly deal with. Also, since it is meant to be colonial, would adding a fixed bow tube be a bad idea? I've heard that these could be both a risk and advantage...I don't know on that one..

Saturday, February 27th 2010, 12:36am

Quoted

Originally posted by TexanCowboy
would adding a fixed bow tube be a bad idea? I've heard that these could be both a risk and advantage...I don't know on that one..

Well bow fixed tube will:
Decrease weight over a turntable mounted one
Will increase flooding hazard if struck a mine or a riff
There was a danger of overtaking Your own torpedo(that was in the 1900's so not really relevant now.
Will force to point the ship at the target(that one is obvious)

All of those are for below water mount.

Saturday, February 27th 2010, 1:06am

Well, for a ship of this size, I would think that space is imperative. Also, these ship's are both losable and unloseable, because of the size and colonial capacity...

Saturday, February 27th 2010, 1:11am

For a ship of this size and speed, torpedoes are wasted. You won't have any extra space on these ships, and if you do, far better to use it for DCs or minelaying/sweeping equipment.

Saturday, February 27th 2010, 1:21am

That's why I suggested a bow tube. It takes up little space, and a single torpedo is, what, 2 tons for a light one? That's only like 6 depth charges, not much.

Saturday, February 27th 2010, 1:57am

Quoted

Originally posted by TexanCowboy
That's why I suggested a bow tube. It takes up little space, and a single torpedo is, what, 2 tons for a light one? That's only like 6 depth charges, not much.

:rolleyes: 10 heavy DCs - minus the weight of the K-guns/Y-guns which are probably already carried.

Adding a torpedo in a laughably antiquated bow tube is like putting an umbrella and a bowler hat in the cockpit of a Eurofighter Typhoon. It's too inflexible, largely unusuable, and it detracts from the mission of the ship. I think the last design posted is spot-on.

Monday, March 1st 2010, 5:35pm

A pretty picture of the gunboat.
I've now changed the armament to two 4.5in guns for more oomph!

Monday, March 1st 2010, 5:38pm

Nice drawing James!

Monday, March 1st 2010, 6:02pm

Spot on! That's about the kind of ship I'd expect to see.

Monday, March 1st 2010, 6:50pm

I get rid of the aft 4.5" gun and add more superstructure and a larger cutter. They'll be more useful than the armament.

Monday, March 1st 2010, 11:46pm

Love the thing. Got to ask the question of what the crane on the back is for, but still a beautiful ship.

Monday, March 1st 2010, 11:47pm

Reloading depth charges, methinks.