You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Saturday, January 16th 2010, 4:38am

Latvia 1938

Latvijas Vestnesis -July 24th, 1938. Latvian official's announned that the Udet Sieremdres would enter production today, after a extensive testing process, lasting 3 years for the first metal plane locally built. Intially, 75 planes were ordered from Udet over a period of nearly a year, with a option for more if the Latvian goverment chooses. Although this newspaper was unable to get more information on this plane, it is know that this multi-purpose vessel will have 5 main guns, with a 250 lb bomb capacity.

Tuesday, January 19th 2010, 2:01am

Flotadmiralis Karlis Unmarlis stepped into the large conference room in the joint Air Force-Navy base in Riga. There, he was met by his co-commanders of the other branches of the armed forces, Generalmarshel Lemre Almora and Airgeneralmarshel Rebekka Morshis. He saluted both of them, and sat down, chatting with the two as he waited for the start of the meeting that would review the state of the Latvian national defense.

Airgeneralmarshel Rebekka Morshis aide-de-camp came up behind her and whispered something into her ear. She spoke up, "Would either of you object to me beginning this meeting?" When neither of them replied, she began.

"At present, the Latvian Air Force consist's of 250 planes. The older Great War relic's have been sent to the National Guard, and I won't comment more upon them except to say that the majority of them are older Russian and French models, with a smattering of older German and Atlantian planes, and they are all observation or fighter planes, with the exception of 5 Russian Silorskiey's." She paused to take a breath, than continued," Right now, we have a air force of mostly Russian plane's from the last decade, with a few 'samples' of their more modern models. We also have a few Atlantian models. Right now, we have a air force that is about 50% fighters, 20% ground observation, 15% bombers, 7% training, and 2% other's. Entering production currently is the Sieremdres, a multi-role craft. We are about to begin production on the I-16, which is considerably cheaper and a pure fighter, and we are working on design studies on a larger fighter that is based upon the same lines. Everything else is in ya'll's domain."

Generalmarshel Lemre Almora stood up. "Thank you," he said, rather gruffly. "Now that we've talken about your silly flying machines, let's get on to the meat and bones of our defense, the army. At present, we have two division's of the army in active service, that are 9,000 men each. We have the ability to call up 3 more reserve division's, in the case of war. The army also has a special force's half division, which consists of the Latvian Guard's and various other attachments, like the artillery reserve. We are looking at introducing new type's of artillery to replace the 75mm howitzer-guns, such as Bulgarian LR mortars. We are also introducing a newer form of Russian semi-automatic rifle to our forces, that can fire 24 rounds per minute, as opposed to the bolt-action rifles 12 rounds per minute. That is all."

Flotadmiralis Karlis Unmarlis stepped up onto the stage and started, "Our Latvian Navy consistes of 1 armoured cruiser, 2 light cruisers, 5 destroyers, and various other vessel's, which can be found in the paper's my aide-de-camp is passing out to you. We have just purchased two light cruisers from Canada, which we will extensivly modernize. We are also building another destroyer of an improved class, with better torpedoes. The navy is looking at a new type of miniture sub that will be able to carry out coast defense tasks, leaving our bigger one's for more agressive plans."

This post has been edited 3 times, last edit by "TexanCowboy" (Jan 20th 2010, 11:24pm)

Tuesday, January 19th 2010, 2:26am

Quoted

Originally posted by TexanCowboy
We are also introducing a newer form of Russian semi-automatic rifle to our forces, that can fire 24 rounds per second, as opposed to the bolt-action rifles 12 rounds per minute.

Titanic overstatement of the rate of fire. :P Forty rounds per minute is more likely, assuming that you're aiming "thataways" and just shoot to burn ammo off.

Firing from a test bench with a fully-auto AVT36, maybe four rounds per second, and that's probably optimistic.

Tuesday, January 19th 2010, 2:58am

Sorry, I meant 24 per MINUTE...will edit.

Tuesday, January 19th 2010, 6:14am

Quoted

Right now, we have a air force that is about 50% fighters, 202% ground observation , 22% bombers, and 2% other's.

That's a lot of airplanes... ;)

Tuesday, January 19th 2010, 6:18am

Hee! And I missed that in my read-through, too! :P

By the way - you might want some training planes. Tiger Moths, T6 Texans, or Miles Masters or something like that.

Tuesday, January 19th 2010, 11:28pm

Fixed...no comments on the wedding yet...

Wednesday, January 20th 2010, 3:06am

Quoted

Originally posted by TexanCowboy
Fixed...no comments on the wedding yet...

My only thought is that it seemed a rather an abrupt way to end the post. :P

That, and... well, Flotadmiralis Unmarlis must be a pretty thoughtless man to propose to a woman as they're both leaving a meeting, and Airgeneralmarshel Morshis must be pretty desperate to agree to marry such an unromantic lump.

I didn't intend to say that, but since you wanted opinions... *shrug*

Wednesday, January 20th 2010, 11:49am

Quoted

Originally posted by Brockpaine
That, and... well, Flotadmiralis Unmarlis must be a pretty thoughtless man to propose to a woman as they're both leaving a meeting, and Airgeneralmarshel Morshis must be pretty desperate to agree to marry such an unromantic lump.

Well she is a woman with in high position of power so any guy that dose not feel emancipated by her...

Yes she pretty desperate.

Wednesday, January 20th 2010, 11:24pm

Hmm...will delete and set it in a more romantic scene.

Thursday, January 21st 2010, 12:56am

Myself, I'm a bit puzzled by what's causing various WW countries to take such an emancipated view of things that women are in ranking positions in their military outside of a shooting war. Certainly seems a bit early for that, IMO....

Thursday, January 21st 2010, 12:58am

Quoted

Originally posted by Hrolf Hakonson
Myself, I'm a bit puzzled by what's causing various WW countries to take such an emancipated view of things that women are in ranking positions in their military outside of a shooting war. Certainly seems a bit early for that, IMO....

I agree. Seems that WW have a better gender relation than in RL. The why, who knows?

Thursday, January 21st 2010, 1:51am

Quoted

Originally posted by perdedor99
I agree. Seems that WW have a better gender relation than in RL. The why, who knows?

Easy, if it was any other way, our respective "other half"s would kill us!!!! :D :D :D

Thursday, January 21st 2010, 1:55am

Quoted

Originally posted by Commodore Green

Quoted

Easy, if it was any other way, our respective "other half"s would kill us!!!! :D :D :D

<laugh> Well, at least it's a reason! It'd be nice if there was an in-sim reason, too, but .... :)

Thursday, January 21st 2010, 1:59am

Quoted

Originally posted by Hrolf Hakonson

Quoted

Originally posted by Commodore Green

Quoted

<laugh> Well, at least it's a reason! It'd be nice if there was an in-sim reason, too, but .... :)

Can't see any in-game reason, but it's most likely due to our own enviroment, we as 20th/21th century individuals are immersed in a (mostly) gender equal society. A similiar situation as regards the "A-Bomb effect" Lady Green highlighted concerning our politics....

Thursday, January 21st 2010, 2:01am

Bulgaria lets women be pilots, but segregates them into their own little unit. None rank above Porucik (Lieutenant), but there's a female ace (Ivanova). I'll agree this is pretty enlightened, even though the Bulgarians themselves see the female pilots as more of a curiosity than an actual fighting force.

Chile lets women be nurses (and ranks them as an officer equivalent even though they're not officers) and is mulling letting women serve in the Navy as supply officers and secretaries. This would mean letting them go through the Naval Academy, and would require the Navy to (gasp!) design a uniform for them. Some in the Navy think that getting women would be a splendid idea. Others think that it's the beginning of the apocalyptic immorality of the endtimes.

Still, you have to admit Chilean ladies look very good in uniform... Though wait until you see the women of the Turkish police.

Thursday, January 21st 2010, 1:06pm

Heh, they look ready to take on Canada's national hockey team with those outfits on, lol.

Thursday, January 21st 2010, 10:39pm

You'll find Britain firmly stuck in the OTL past in regards to gender equality or any other kind of equality. It's hard to think of a serious shift ever to move the layered society of 1930s Britain.

I must confess I've been puzzled why WW is so equal from time to time. *shrug* its every player's choice to do what they see fit and its nice to know we're all pretty liberal and fair folks.

Thursday, January 21st 2010, 11:23pm

Well you won't be finding any women doing men's jobs in Mexico or Australia. There are just stuff that men are better at than women and vice versa, no sense screwing up efficiency for 'equality'. And yes that includes flying fighter planes...

Friday, January 22nd 2010, 12:11am

Turkey would seem to be the only country I play that has women in high profile possitions, such as Sabiha Gokcen, which is historical anyway so...