You are not logged in.

Sunday, January 24th 2010, 10:45pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Hrolf Hakonson
You'll have to explain what you mean by "tackling off the ball".

I suspect he's talking about the blockers versus the offensive rush.

[SIZE=1]At least, if I understand my American football terminology correctly. I'm one of those odd Americans who hates most "American" sports and enjoys real football / US soccer.[/SIZE]

Sunday, January 24th 2010, 10:49pm

The problem is, there's no tackling involved there. If an offensive lineman actually tackles a defensive player (as opposed to blocking them), it's a penalty: offensive holding (or possibly tripping). If a defensive player tackles a receiver before the ball arrives, it's a penalty: defensive holding or pass interference (depending on whether the ball's in the air or not). So I'm not sure what he's talking about.

Sunday, January 24th 2010, 10:54pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Hrolf Hakonson
The problem is, there's no tackling involved there. If an offensive lineman actually tackles a defensive player (as opposed to blocking them), it's a penalty: offensive holding (or possibly tripping). If a defensive player tackles a receiver before the ball arrives, it's a penalty: defensive holding or pass interference (depending on whether the ball's in the air or not). So I'm not sure what he's talking about.

I'm aware of that, but you have to admit it can look like they're tackling.

Wesworld Chile is completely confused by US football and prefers to stick to rodeo and football (soccer).

Sunday, January 24th 2010, 10:59pm

If there's no tackling off the ball why are most players on the floor after every play? I've just been watching a few clips on youtube and I'm left wondering whether any these guys have any idea how to best bring a man down in a tackle - diving into his upper body definitely isn't it.

Monday, January 25th 2010, 12:19am

Quoted

Originally posted by Rooijen10
Soccer is a game for sissies so that's why you have a lot of aggression in the stands. Football has aggression on the pitch so there is no need for it in the stands. :)

If that is the case, why is there no problems at a GAA match?
VERY rare to have any on-pitch problems.......

As sayings about sports go, I prefer.....

"Soccer is a game for Gentlemen played by Thugs, while Rugby is a game for Thugs played by Gentlemen"

Monday, January 25th 2010, 12:27am

Polo: "The game of kings is still the king of games."

Monday, January 25th 2010, 12:49am

Quoted

Originally posted by Brockpaine
Polo: "The game of kings is still the king of games."

Funny were I came from Chess is the game of kings
Horse racing is the sport of king.

Monday, January 25th 2010, 12:49am

Quoted

Originally posted by Red Admiral
If there's no tackling off the ball why are most players on the floor after every play? I've just been watching a few clips on youtube and I'm left wondering whether any these guys have any idea how to best bring a man down in a tackle - diving into his upper body definitely isn't it.

Because diving into a person's lower body is illigal. It has to do with avoiding stupid **** like holding on to people's ankle's.

Tuesday, February 9th 2010, 11:56pm

The football game between Latvia and Poland ended in one of the greatest plays in history. Poland jumped out to a early lead of 3-0, and held this lead through most of the game. After a second field goal by Poland, leading to a 6-0 lead, Poland kicked off with only 10 seconds left in the game. However, Latvian cornerback Latfis Folivis fielded it, and lateraled to five seperate people, ending in Falis Toflas, who ran over a trombone player , and then scored. Final Score: Latvia 7-Poland 6.

Wednesday, February 10th 2010, 12:04am

Riga Navilas- September 27, 1938

The Latvian Navy has announced that it has contracted for the Bulgarian Navy to construct one modified Kyustendil-class ship for the Latvian Navy. Although much of the information about it is classified, Flotadmiralis Karlis Unmarlis commented on it, stating that it would have powerful Russian torpedoes, and a fire control system for the torpedo tubes that "is integrated with the radar, allowing for it to be fired based on the radar and not by visual sitings."

Tuesday, March 2nd 2010, 1:44am

To the desk of Flotadmiral Karlis Unmarlis
on Latvian Naval Strategy
by Leitnants Ravlis Livina

The Latvian Navy is in the interesting situation of being a navy intended for the support of the Russian Navy in the Baltic. With this in the minds of our admirals and politicians, most of the construction of Latvia from 1933-1937 concentrated on shoring up the Russian Navy in the Baltic. During this period, a armoured cruiser, five destroyers that are arguably the best on the Baltic for A-type destroyers, MTB's, and minelayers. The key part of this building plan was increasing the infastructure of Latvia, to allow for more ship construction. All caliber's and torpedoes used were Russian, to allow for more of an effective use as a Russian support navy.

The current period, from 1938-, has changed the stragetic ship procurement strategy of the Latvian Navy. During this time, one light cruiser was bought and rebuilt, from Canada, a homebuilt destroyer, larger than any destroyer built by Russia, building on the success of the Yelnia class, was completed, four old torpedo boats from Azerbaijan were aquired,and a new contradestroyer from Bulgaria was ordered. The last one is probebly the most dramatic change, as it denotes the fact tha Latvia, in its current state, is building warships with standards unlike current Russian ones.

As for the future. On January 7th, 1939, three Leone class destroyer leaders will be purchased from Italy. When that occurs, the Latvian fleet will have 10 destroyers, with 68 5'' guns in between them. After the Leone's are refit, as per plan Dvleo, with automatic weapons and radar, the battlefleet of destroyers will be amongst the fastest in the world. I recommend that another Neuzvarem class is purchased, as per the Bulgarian offer, as it allows us to finally remove the biplanes from our OOB and grants us three main types of plane. Also, the offer to allow us to use the drydock is very noble. I also recommend that the Generale class destroyers be purchased from Italy, as with a decent refit, they can provide 35 knots, strengthening the DF with quanity of ships to provide torpedoes.

The Latvian Navy is in a strong stragetic position. We feel that, with the recent upgrades to the fleet, that our fleet is capable of supporting the Russian fleet worldwide, within 6 months time of call to the theater. With newer destroyers, to form the core of our fleet, we feel that this is even more possible. We recommend that capital ships be ignored, as in the Baltic, our immediante field of operations, the torpedo and mine make a massive ship a huge risk. We think that the destroyer fleet form the core, with the small old torpedo boats running convoy's to St.Petersburg, and the larger TB's supporting the larger ships. The submarines should prey on enemies commerence, while the MTB"s shall guard the coast. The Latvian Fleet is most likely the most powerful Russian asset in the Baltic. To improve upon this, would be to honor Latvia.