You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Wednesday, December 23rd 2009, 5:31pm

Continental I-1430?

Wednesday, December 23rd 2009, 5:34pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Vukovlad
Does Italy have any domestic inverted V-12´s?

Not at the moment. Had some limited production a few years back from Alfa-Romeo (something similar to DB600) but dropped to concentrate on double row 135 radial and later 1101.

Isotta-Fraschini produced the Asso XI which was a V12 for a bit, but a bit old and dropped to concentrate on other engines (Asso 2000D, marine and land engines)

Fiat has played a fair bit with various configurations following on from the AS.6 design. Went for a twin V12 originally like the AS.6 but decided it's probably a bit hard and too powerful, so went for a smaller, lighter and more historical inverted V16 - the A.38. Doubt there'll be enough production for exports in numbers.

Wednesday, December 23rd 2009, 5:36pm

Quoted

Continental I-1430?

The US is using this, in the P-42 and installing it in the XP-49 (to be seen later in 1938 ).

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Hrolf Hakonson" (Dec 23rd 2009, 5:40pm)

Wednesday, December 23rd 2009, 5:40pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Red Admiral
OpenOffice doesn't seem to like Planebuilder much in general given the many intersheet references.

It's not the intersheet references that cause the problems, it's the recursion (shown by the Err: 523). OpenOffice apparently has limited expectations of what's going to be happening in a recursive case and PlaneBuilder (for some reason, haven't tracked it down) doesn't fit that model.

Quoted

I seem to remember Iberia having an inverted V12 similar to the DB series. Really need something after the 12Y and 12Z as they're rather dated and don't have much room for growth.

Iberia has a license for the Jumo-211 series up through the D model, no license has been discussed or sold for the later pressurized cooling variants (and the Jumo-213 is still on the drawing boards).

Wednesday, December 23rd 2009, 5:40pm

Quoted

Continental I-1430?

Well, it didn't really work that well.

Wednesday, December 23rd 2009, 5:42pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Red Admiral

Quoted

Continental I-1430?

Well, it didn't really work that well.

It took a long time to develop, for certain. By the time it was getting close to being developed, there was no point any more.

Wednesday, December 23rd 2009, 5:45pm

Shall we split off this line of discussion to a dedicated thread?

Wednesday, December 23rd 2009, 5:47pm

I think I was hitting different problems with Planebuilder and Openoffice then. In the end I just moved to MS Office 2007.

Quoted

It took a long time to develop, for certain. By the time it was getting close to being developed, there was no point any more.

The Hyper engine program basically boils down to investing lots of money, but the basic engineering experience wasn't there (for liquid cooled inlines) and so the generational jump in performance didn't work, either in producing enough power, or in being reliable enough for a production engine, all of which has made this sentence go on for far too long. The V-1710 attempted less of a jump in performance and was more successful, but still not that great. On the other hand, the various radials were top notch.

Wednesday, December 23rd 2009, 5:48pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Brockpaine
Shall we split off this line of discussion to a dedicated thread?

I don't think we've had a good threadjacking in a while, and I'm feeling like rambling on a bit today.

Wednesday, December 23rd 2009, 6:09pm

Now for a wild idea, an inverted fuel injected Merlin

Wednesday, December 23rd 2009, 6:15pm

Quoted

Now for a wild idea, an inverted fuel injected Merlin

It's not the wildest Merlin mod. Could go for the 24 cylinder twin Merlin instead which was in vertical H configuration. I think James has said that the Merlin isn't being worked on that much by Rolls-Royce here, so probably no 60 series. Most of RR's work is going into the Vulture and Griffon. The Vulture was working pretty good by the time production ended in favour of Merlin production, and the bigger version with Merlin cylinder dimensions giving 3000hp.

Wednesday, December 23rd 2009, 6:20pm

I was thinking for use in the Peruvian fighter

Wednesday, December 23rd 2009, 6:22pm

Quoted

I was thinking for use in the Peruvian fighter

Depends whether RR feels it worthwhile to develop such an engine for a couple of hundred planes. Probably better to use Jumo 211.

Wednesday, December 23rd 2009, 9:05pm

The Talons entry will be recorded as two Hurricanes. There is no way such a fighter could be ready for Talons without some background testing and trials and construction of prototypes. As Peru is starting from scratch it seems unlikely. Maybe 1939 at a push but not this year.

The Nordmark entry is;
Flight Lieutenant Ronnie Hellström flying a yellow SAAB F-21 Mark I twin-boom fighter powered by a 1,450hp SAAB X75-1450 inline engine in a pusher configuration

Wing Commander Otto Larsen is representing Nordmark again this year flying a blue SAAB F-21 Mark I

EDIT: With Peru, Nordmark, Poland and Romania ALL slots are now full BUT there is one twin-engined slot left so if anyone wants to convert a single-engined entry into a twin let me know (1st come 1st served).

Can Mac, Jason (Canadian) and Foxy please let me have names and specs soon so I can complete the spreadsheet and start word-bashing.

Who says they'll be no 60 Series? :D
Well it won't be called a 60 series but... [seriously the Merlin is too widespread to avoid the later marks without going seriously ahistorical with the OTL projects and aircraft and switching planes to Merlins etc.
A 3,000hp Vulture sounds good, nice alongside the Sabre and leads nicely to the Eagle for the late 1940s. A suped-up Tempest with it might be good and for bombers too alongside the Centaurus. It seems the Griffon might not go as far with the UK but Canada is tinkering with it in a top secret lab somewhere.

For wild Merlin ideas what about a coupled-Merlin? :evil:

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "Hood" (Dec 23rd 2009, 10:56pm)

Wednesday, December 23rd 2009, 11:10pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Hood
but Canada is tinkering with it in a top secret lab somewhere.

among other things. (:

Wednesday, December 23rd 2009, 11:18pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Hood
EDIT: With Peru, Nordmark, Poland and Romania ALL slots are now full BUT there is one twin-engined slot left so if anyone wants to convert a single-engined entry into a twin let me know (1st come 1st served).

Why convert ??? China will be very happy if nobody has nothing against sending an additional chinese aircraft :D

Wednesday, December 23rd 2009, 11:59pm

Here ya go... hmmm just noticed I'm bringing the exact same planes from last year.

Mexico is going for broke, bringing in the best pilots in the nation. Flying the Aguila III will be Capitan Valenzuela, flying the Type105Mx+ will be Capitan Juan Solitario, backup pilot will be TNCA's Chief Engineer Angel Lascurain.

Quoted

The final member of the Aguila/P-6 family. The Aguila III has two major changes from the II.

First is a new wing which changes the retractable gear from outward to inward retraction. This gives the gear a wider stance and reduces landing accidents. It also allows four MGs to be mounted outboard of the landing gear. Two hardpoints are also fitted, making the III the first multi-role member of the family.

The second change is replacing the engine with a more powerful variant, with twin superchargers. This change required the two nose guns to be moved to the wing.

Other minor changes include a new canopy, and moving the radiator further back, to make room for the landing gear. The cockpit was also moved foward slightly, improving visibility.

TNCA C-11 Aguila III

Power: Supercharged Curtiss-Mexico Emperor V-1720-2 1,400hp

Armament: One 25.4mm cannon (nose), Four 0.3in machine guns (wing)

Size: Wingspan - 29ft
Length - 25ft
Wing area - 200sq ft

Weight: Empty - 4200lb
Max take-off - 5900lb

Performance: Max speed - 410mph
Ceiling - 34,000ft
Range - 500 miles
Climb - 3,200ft per minute

The other new aircraft is an improvement of the ex-Gothia Type 105Mx. The Gothia engine is replaced with a Curtiss Emperor, like on the C-18 and C-11. The wings where also clipped to improve roll rate, and a new canopy ('Galland') installed, together with other minor improvements.

The improved Type 105, with thanks to Vukovlad.

C-15+ (GW type 105Mx) Fighter

Type: Single Seat Fighter

Engine: Supercharged Curtiss-Mexico Emperor V-1720-2 1,400hp

Dimensions:
Span: 30ft
Length: 29ft

Max. speed: 390mph @ 20,000 ft
Max. Climb: 2,700 ft/sec
Max. range: 700 miles
Empty: 6,300 lbs
Max Loaded 8,300 lbs

Armament: 4 x 12,7 mm MG, 1 x 25.4mm Cannon

Thursday, December 24th 2009, 12:02am

From Australia come the following aircraft...

AA-5 Kelpie (aka Lake Eyre Monster)

Landbased version (RG)

Power: 2x Rolls Royce Merlins 1100hp

Length: 35 ft
Wingspan: 40 ft
Height: 13 ft
Wing area: 280 ft²

Empty, 8500 lb
Max Take Off, 15000 lb

Max Speed, 415mph
Range, 770miles

Armament: Four 7.62/0.3in machine guns, two 20mm cannons

Designed to compete at the Schneider Races, this plane will soon enter service in a long range air superority role. Flying her will be Captain Peters, who also flew her race sister at the 35 Schneider Races.

CAC-11 Strix (based on OTL Weiss WM-23 Ezustnyil )

Power: Pratt & Witney 1,350 hp R-1830 Twin Wasp

Armament: Four 7.62/0.3in machine guns

Size: Wingspan - 34ft 9 in
Length - 34ft
Wing area - 250sq ft

Weight: Empty - 5500lb
Max take-off - 9000lb

Performance: Max speed - 340mph
Ceiling - 29,000ft
Range - 900 miles
Climb - 3200ft per minute

http://www.aviastar.org/air/hungary/weiss_wm-23.php

CAC's new fighter design. Uses the He-100 wing design. She will be flown by Captain Robert Henry Maxwell (Bobby) Gibbes.

Saturday, December 26th 2009, 1:04pm

German exhibitors at the competition will include Dornier (with a Do-215 and a Do-217 model), Focke-Wulf (with a Fw-190 and an Fw-205 Condor), BFW (with the Bf-109T carrier fighter), and Junkers (with the Ju-88 ).

US exhibitors will be: Grumman, with the F4F, Curtiss with the P-40, Boeing with a B-17E, Douglas with an A-20, and Vought with an XF4U. Martin will be present with a B-26A model.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Hrolf Hakonson" (Dec 26th 2009, 1:04pm)

Saturday, December 26th 2009, 11:32pm

Romania will be fielding for its first entry at Talons two IAR 80A's, flown by Lieutenant Anton Dunceau and Lieutenant Cosmin Manolescu. The first pilot was the one who made headline news in Romania in 1937 by flying his aircraft to visit his lady friend in Transylvannia unauthorized (1). The second pilot was the fastest pilot in the Great Air Race in 1935 between Bulgarian and Romanian pilots.

Info on the IAR 80A's.

MODEL I.A.R.80A
WEIGHTS
Take-off weight 2980 kg 6570 lb
Loaded weight 2200 kg 4850 lb
DIMENSIONS
Wingspan 11.00 m 36 ft 1 in
Length 8.97 m 29 ft 5 in
Height 3.52 m 11 ft 7 in
Wing area 16.50 m2 177.60 sq ft
PERFORMANCE
Max. speed 316 mph
Engine
1,025hp K14-1000A
Range
not sure.

(1) Please don't kill him, I have plans for him.

Polish entries to follow.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "TheCanadian" (Dec 26th 2009, 11:33pm)