You are not logged in.

Sunday, December 13th 2009, 8:51pm

Yes, their official rated Cruise speed might well be lower than that for Transiting between points. However, their range was Rated for the running at that speed. Springsharp does not make allowances for that, in all truth. I'll own and confess - they might cruise slower when they're not being tasked with something time sensitive. The problem is, That is the speed they were designed to run at - the speed they were meant to run at when doing what they were meant to do. This is why they were given that much fuel - they are Meant to run at 25 knots for an enduring period of time. Their Transit speed is irrelevant with regards to their Designed Operating Speed in the context of how their fuel need was laid out.

I'm admitting that it might not be the speed they actually go for getting from the quayside to their operations area, but that speed is irrelevant, because they are designed for stamina in the pursuit of the enemy. They're a purpose-built Design. The bunkers are very sectioned off, divided for sectional containment, because it's not as if the risk is unknown. Also, remember that Diesel takes a much higher temperature to cook off, but either way. The ships were designed around the concept of being able to run their target into the ground. But I feel like I'm just going in circles, because nobody seems to be listening.

Sunday, December 13th 2009, 9:01pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Sauragnmon
But I feel like I'm just going in circles, because nobody seems to be listening.

There's a difference between listening to and disagreeing with your assertions.

Sunday, December 13th 2009, 9:10pm

For the ship itself you'll probably want to rethink the dimensions. Have a look at some typical length:draught and beam:draught ratios. You've got a very high hull depth for the other dimensions. Realistically I'd expect something more like 6.0m draught.

Having lots of fuel and large engine rooms doesn't mix together, especially for warships. There's the simple case of trying to fit the fuel into the hull given the room taken up by machinery, magazines and shafting runs.

I'm not convinced on the concept of the ship itself. In 1950 I think I'd be preferring a Shackleton or P3V, maybe with Blue Boar or Green Cheese.

Sunday, December 13th 2009, 9:19pm

If you're that concerned in maintaining your at-sea time, the historical solution is to invest in at-sea replenishment. Either with prepositioned tankers, like the historical KM did, or a more extensive fleet train like the USN did.

More to the point, your ship is not noticably superior or comparable to other ships of similar cost and tonnage in WesWorld (despite the advantage of it having a 1950 build date). Even my older and noticably smaller Manitoba and Labrador classes would not be outclassed, especially considering the implication that this ship would be operating alone, and the RCN Doctrine has no plans for lone-wolf detachments. More to the point, I'm currently working on a design of similar tonnage that would be faster, better protected, and better armed, and still with an adequate operating radius....but still 10 years older.

Sunday, December 13th 2009, 9:38pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Sauragnmon

I'm admitting that it might not be the speed they actually go for getting from the quayside to their operations area, but that speed is irrelevant, because they are designed for stamina in the pursuit of the enemy. They're a purpose-built Design. The bunkers are very sectioned off, divided for sectional containment, because it's not as if the risk is unknown. Also, remember that Diesel takes a much higher temperature to cook off, but either way. The ships were designed around the concept of being able to run their target into the ground. But I feel like I'm just going in circles, because nobody seems to be listening.

Something I'm not too clear about: you said they are designed for stamina in the pursuit of the enemy... Wouldn't it be better if I have more powerful guns/armor and speed to outfight and outrun the enemy?

Sunday, December 13th 2009, 10:52pm

11,000 nm at 25 knots is still too much.... that would be like halfway around the world, even the Forrestal couldn't do that.

Monday, December 14th 2009, 2:27pm

Quoted

Originally posted by SauragnmonI'm admitting that it might not be the speed they actually go for getting from the quayside to their operations area, but that speed is irrelevant, because they are designed for stamina in the pursuit of the enemy.

In 1950, there isn't a ship on the planet that can run nearly that long at that kind of speed. Even today, there are very few - only nuclear aircraft carriers and a handful of container ships.

Quoted

Also, remember that Diesel takes a much higher temperature to cook off, but either way.

You should be comparing it with bunker fuel, not gasoline/kerosene. It's difficult to get bunker fuel to burn even when you want it to, owing to the fact that it's basically tar. Even marine diesels on ships of any size run on bunker fuel, although a slightly higher grade than steam ships. The @ Panzerschiffe had donkey boilers to provide steam for heating the fuel - it wouldn't flow otherwise.