You are not logged in.

Kaiser Kirk

Lightbringer and former European Imperialist

Tuesday, November 10th 2009, 8:05am

Quoted

Originally posted by Brockpaine

One time when we were discussing scripting wars, I think... actually, I think it was you that suggested the idea of randomly generating two parties for a war, then having the players script things... well, the two matchups that immediately popped into my head were: Ireland vs. Pacifica and Ireland vs. Belgium. Heh, Belgium's pretty much the only European continental power the Irish would stand a chance at repelling on their own! :P

Yep that concept I've mentioned. Though I think it should more be a set up thing when you 'create' the world you also set up natural foes, then sometimes, guess what it's time to fight.
Puts a priority on keeping your fleet up to snuff, not letting important elements grow heavily outdated etc.

Belgium-Ireland would be interesting. Belgium has only 2-3 ships with *any* ASW capacity, while I don't think Ireland has anything to counter the King Albert.

Tuesday, November 10th 2009, 4:04pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Kaiser Kirk
Belgium-Ireland would be interesting. Belgium has only 2-3 ships with *any* ASW capacity, while I don't think Ireland has anything to counter the King Albert.

Nope, I've got nothing just yet; however, I've arranged the purchase of an 8" gunned cruiser for 1938-39. That ship's not enough to stand up to the King Albert, though. I've fiddled around a lot with some ideas, but nothing's decided. Or, quite frankly, likely to be decided - odds are that the INS will decide one 8" gunned cruiser is sufficient and continue working on infrastructure and small craft.

ASW is almost the Irish Naval Service's raison d'etre, so to speak; they're anticipating something like WWII, with German U-boats operating off the coast and sinking British and Irish ships (Ireland's merchant marine is growing stronger than it was IRL). Thus, the Irish are seeing their mission as defensive mining operations, minesweeping, and convoy work. Hence the relatively high presence of ASW units. The four Contae-class destroyers, when completed, will be placed in a squadron with the cruiser Eire to form a surface action force; coast defense will be carried out by MTB, submarine, and mine warfare.

Kaiser Kirk

Lightbringer and former European Imperialist

Wednesday, November 11th 2009, 2:16am

The Belgian navy is intended to help raise the countries profile, allow it to do something when there are international needs, and make it more attractive as a supplemental navy to the two nations it wants to cozy up to - the Dutch and French.

King Albert was meant to be something an 8" cruiser couldn't handle...and the legislature wanted that something to be done fairly cheaply and demanded domestic coal be used as well...the Aussie design met the bill.

But no subs yet, and little defense against them.

Wednesday, November 11th 2009, 2:23am

Quoted

Originally posted by Kaiser Kirk
The Belgian navy is intended to help raise the countries profile, allow it to do something when there are international needs, and make it more attractive as a supplemental navy to the two nations it wants to cozy up to - the Dutch and French.

King Albert was meant to be something an 8" cruiser couldn't handle...and the legislature wanted that something to be done fairly cheaply and demanded domestic coal be used as well...the Aussie design met the bill.

But no subs yet, and little defense against them.

Sounds like we're running Ireland and Belgium off the same playbook, but aiming to fill the needs of different friends. :P

Thursday, November 26th 2009, 12:01am

Quoted

Originally posted by Desertfox
http://www.theonion.com/content/news/lie…dorra_forced_to
Mwuhahahahahahaha!!!

HEHEHEE!

Behold the new assistant to the Irish delegate to the League of Nations.

Thursday, November 26th 2009, 12:55am

Dammit, I think Desertfox stole that link from me. :D

Thursday, November 26th 2009, 3:46am

Quoted

Originally posted by TexanCowboy
Dammit, I think Desertfox stole that link from me. :D

Can't trust those Mexi-stralians, they'll have the eyes out of your head if you're not careful!! :P

Thursday, November 26th 2009, 3:57am

I figure that because I posted that link at navalism about 10 minutes before he did here.

Thursday, November 26th 2009, 7:36am

Mwuhahahahahaha!!!

I just had to do it after all the Ireland vs Pacific posts we've had here.