You are not logged in.

Tuesday, November 3rd 2009, 5:00am

Canadian Aerospace Domination

After lengthy internal development and design troubles, ShinRa Aviation has a new product on the market, a one-person light Autogyro. Production is commencing in early 1938, with orders placed by the RCNAS and RCAF

[SIZE=3]ShinRa Aviation CG-70 "Horse Fly" Autogryo[/SIZE]

Statistics
- Crew: 1
- Rotor Diameter: 13.5m
- Empty weight: 105 0kg
- Loaded weight: 1410kg
- Powerplant: deHavilland Canada Gipsy King (250hp)
- Armament: 100 pound payload

Performance
- Maximum speed: 105 knots
- Max Range: 200 nm
- Service ceiling: 4,800m

The RCAF has placed a 24 plane order with Avro Canada based on a previously secret YC-24 testbed seen over the skies of Toronto in recent months

[Size=1]recently released photo of YC-24[/size]

Initial delivery is expected later 1937, early 1938, with more orders possible pending evaluation.

[SIZE=3]Avro Canada XCF-9 "Ascender"[/SIZE]

Statistics
- Length: 29.5 ft (9m)
- Wingspan: 40.5 ft / 12.4m
- Height: 10 ft / 3m
- Wing area: 235 ft² / 21.83m²
- Empty weight: 6,354 lbs
- Loaded weight: 7,710 lbs
- Powerplant: Orenda Merlin II (1280hp)
- Armament: 4x.50cal MG (nose)

Performance
- Maximum speed: 390 mph
- Max Range: 400 mi
- Service ceiling: 34,600 ft
- Rate of Climb: 3,125 ft/min

Avro Canada has taken limitations of the somewhat antiquated CF-5 Archeopteryx, and developed a new design to replace that plane for Airship and Floatplane operations. In addition to developing a respectable fighter design, a stretched version capable of carrying a dedicated observer and increased payload has been developed to give the platform greater options to possible customers.

Production is commencing for RCNAS orders in 1937, with deliveries expected in early 1938

[SIZE=3]Avro Canada CF-8 "Rhamphorhynchus"[/SIZE]

Statistics
- Length: 26.5 ft
- Wingspan: 47 ft
- Height: 12 ft
- Wing area: 396 ft²
- Empty weight: 5,052 lbs
- Loaded weight: 6,000 lbs
- Armament: 4x.50cal MG (nose), 100 pound payload

Performance
- Maximum speed: 346 mph
- Max Range: 666 mi
- Service ceiling: 38,500 ft
- Rate of Climb: 3,174 ft/min

[SIZE=3]Avro Canada CFS-8b "Ornithopterus"[/SIZE]

Statistics
- Crew: 2 (Pilot and Observer)
- Length: 30.6 ft
- Wingspan: 47 ft
- Height: 12 ft
- Wing area: 396 ft²
- Empty weight: 5,862 lbs
- Loaded weight: 7,200 lbs
- Armament: 2x.50cal MG (nose), 250 pound payload

Performance
- Maximum speed: 337 mph
- Max Range: 578 mi
- Service ceiling: 32,500 ft
- Rate of Climb:/B] 2,512 ft/min

Canadian Car & Foundry is reported to be exploring further development of the novel CF-175 "Skimmer" twin-engine fighter, but no further details are available at this time.

Burnelli Aircraft has won a bid from the RCAF for a Medium Bomber / Torpedo attack plane based on it's A-1 Bomber concept. Service date is not expected until 1939, and details on the project are not currently available.

Rounding out Aviation news, are details of ongoing projects at Orenda Engines in Malton, gleaned from a leaked budget document from the CADRE office;

Orenda Merlin - V-12 Inline (Licsense built RR Merlin with local improvments.)
Orenda Seneca - 18 cylinder radial
Orenda Oneida - Improved V-12 Inline
Orenda Onondaga - X-24 Inline, Derivative of RR Vulture engine
Orenda Cayuga - H-24

A further project name was uncovered, the Orenda Mohawk, but all information on the project had been redacted from the leaked document, rendering it a mystery.

Tuesday, November 3rd 2009, 5:10am

They certainly are unconventional. A qustion, there is no armament int turret of the CFS-8b?

Tuesday, November 3rd 2009, 5:17am

Something for Canada?

Tuesday, November 3rd 2009, 5:34am

The Davis Manta is interesting, but I have something a bit more devious planned for in the future. I think I know someone else who'd be interested in the concept, come to think of it. Coincidentally, there's also an unrelated project in Canada's near future that's being named "Manta" at the moment.

The Ornithopterus aft position is meant to be an enclosed Observer post, but the design would allow for a 2x .50 cal turret in that position.

Tuesday, November 3rd 2009, 6:55pm

I'm not sure on the utility of the one man autogyro.

I can see many, many pilot fatalities being caused by the CF-9 and CF-8. They're just too unstable and don't realistically offer any performance improvement.

The Burnelli bomber is more practical but I'm not sure exactly how well it'd work out in service.

What is Canada going to actually do with these aircraft as well? Defend Halifax from attack from Nordmark? I'd personally think that the long-range bomber destroyer like the Me-110 makes more sense.

Tuesday, November 3rd 2009, 10:57pm

A reminder and a disclaimer; Airplanes and engines and whatnot really aren't an area I'm that read up on or very comfortable with. As such, pretty much everything I've proposed for Canada gets run by the guys in the NATO board before I drop it in public, and in many cases Hood runs it through Planebuilder for me. As such, I'd appreciate any criticisms or comments keep in mind that I may or may not know what's being addressed.

The one man Autogyro is an evolutionary thing. ShinRa Aviation had high hopes for the earlier 'gyrodyne' it put on display at Cowes, but it didn't quite pan out (mainly, it was too advanced for the time period). The CG-70 is mostly experimental, but the RCNAS and RCAF showed enough interest to warrant some production. Future designs from the company will be more ambitious, but I felt it necessary for SA to put something modest out for now.

CF-8 is meant to replace the CF-5 (Of which it is an evolution of), which are mostly earmarked for Airship service (with a trapeeze) and consideration given for seaplane adaptations. It's a fairly niché role, and this is what discussion resulted in. I thought about considering it as a Carrier fighter, but I think that'd be a dubious proposition.

XCF-9 is not going to get orders beyond the evaluation squadron (Unless someone else is interested in placing some), mostly due to historical performance issues. A more original design is being looked at for eventually filling that role, but we're not at that point yet.

I've mentioned several times I don't like the "Canada has no reason to build [insert topic here], because no one is going to bother Canada" argument. That argument can be turned around on at least half the sim, and unlike certain examples I could mention, Canada at least has a historical industry base to consider these kind of projects, coupled with further development backstory I wrote for the first few years I was with the sim.

There is a twin-engine fighter in the pipeline, but it still needs some specs worked out (Same with the Burnelli A-1 and some others), and isn't quite here timeline-wise yet, either.