You are not logged in.

Saturday, October 31st 2009, 8:23pm

Buy some Crusaders and Valentines; that should cover your immediate needs

Heh, that's what the Irish did, albeit with an initial order of one (1) Matilda II. So the Irish heavy tank company is nicknamed "Matilda and the Valentines" which I think would be a great name for a heavy metal band.

Saturday, October 31st 2009, 8:26pm

Since most interwar tanks where built in far smaller numbers I dont see a problem with building a battalion or two of domestic tanks

Saturday, October 31st 2009, 8:34pm

Which "most interwar tanks" are you referring to? Can it be done? Sure, it's just a matter of money, but it's not efficient to do so.

Saturday, October 31st 2009, 8:38pm

Outside Russia and France what tanks were built in more than 500 examples in the interwar years?

Saturday, October 31st 2009, 9:08pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Vukovlad
Outside Russia and France what tanks were built in more than 500 examples in the interwar years?

The US built more than 500 M2s, Germany built more than 500 Panzer IIs, Czechoslovakia produced 434 LT35s, and occupied Czechoslovakia produced over 500 Pz 38ts. France produced over 1500 R-35s and over 1200 H-35s, though some of both would have been produced after September, 1939. Odds are that the OOB would require 200 or fewer tanks as well.

Saturday, October 31st 2009, 9:20pm

With the exception possible exception of Pz II none of these tanks where built in 500 examples prior to the outbreak of the war (again excluding France and Russia).

Saturday, October 31st 2009, 9:36pm

Hood's proposal was for 150 Crusader-Rams, 150 Valentines, an unknown number of Light Tanks (over 50).

My general instinct is to combine all those and just produce one decent model of tank (with variants as needed), which would come to 350-400, not including any further deriviates (ie, Kangaroo, ARVs, Sexton type artillery, etc). Those kind of numbers seems to justify the design effort, as well as Canadian self-sufficience takes supply and production burdens off the Crown. There's also the option of supplying Australia or other like-minded allies.

Long range plans have Canada conducting further design work on armoured vehicles, so developing some kind of a Ram is somewhat needed to justify future developments.

Sunday, November 1st 2009, 12:09am

1,948 Ram tanks were built historically with only 277 being retained in Canada. Building a production line in my view wouldn't be a waste because you can use the hulls for other uses such as artillery carriers, APC's and mobile arty.

Sunday, November 1st 2009, 1:28am

While I generally agree, especially with the concept of alterate uses of the hull (APC, Arty, ARV, etc), it's worth remembering that the main reason Canada produced so many was the ongoing war; likewise, the reason so few were retained was that anything shipped overseas was left there. So without a need to immediately send them overseas (or at least a tangible possibility in the near future), I wouldn't expect quite as an enthusiastic production run.

Sunday, November 1st 2009, 1:34am

300 is still a respectable production run especially if placed as one order, CCF being the producer?

Sunday, November 1st 2009, 2:05am

A Ram variant posted on Whatif

Sunday, November 1st 2009, 7:40am

Oh I like that one!

Sunday, November 1st 2009, 7:52am

Quoted

Originally posted by Vukovlad
300 is still a respectable production run especially if placed as one order, CCF being the producer?

MLW (Montreal Loco works) and CLC (Canadian Locomotive Company) could also likely produce them as well. CLC in particular could use the contract to prolong its existance, that and start producing small numbers of diesel engines to get the expertise now instead of trying to aquire it post war when steam engine sales started into a downward spiral.

Sunday, November 1st 2009, 8:59am

Quoted

Originally posted by thesmilingassassin
Oh I like that one!

Me too!

Sunday, November 1st 2009, 6:47pm

Is that a SPG or a Tank Destroyer?

Production will be handled by the Canadian Tank Arsenal, developed from Montreal Locomotive Works (And possibly CLC, I suppose), with parts likely coming from CC&F and other contractors.

Ram proposal from Hood;

TC-2 Ram: Developed by CC&F with technical help from Nuffield from late 1937 as an improved A13 Mk II Crusader with a revised Christie suspension system with a new hull and an all-welded turret. A crew of five is carried and the armament consists of the new Ordnance 6pdr QF Mk III gun with a co-axial .30in Browning MG and another in an MG turret beside the driver and another on an AA mount. Fording depth is 3.3 feet and trench crossing is 8.5 feet. Armour is 87-25mm thick. Initial examples will be powered by Canadian-built 400hp Liberty V-12 petrol engines for a maximum speed of 25mph on roads and 15mph cross country and range is 120 miles. Orenda Engines is also pursuing a possible replacement engine (also intended for future tank development). Production is targeted for mid-to-late 1938

Should be a pretty good all-round tank and would be capable of serving in most intended tank roles (Cruiser and Infantry), being almost a heavy tank with the mobility of a medium. Hull assumed like the OTL but not neccessarily identical to the Ram, Side doors are liked, but hull would probably be stronger without them.

Sunday, November 1st 2009, 6:50pm

I would guess the pic is a TD although labeled as SPG with 3,7" AA gun