You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Tuesday, October 20th 2009, 12:50am

What about speed? If below 25mph it would seem prudent to start dumping rear armour. I tend to agree with stuart on the top hull armour being beefed up. If armour is averaged out (front and rear) 25mm seems reasonable enough for floor armour.

With reguards to the transmission the 600hp engine requires a 1.4 ton tranny while the 800hp engine needs a 1.8 ton tranny. It stands to reason then the cross linked transmission will weigh the same for 2x400hp engines. Lighter engines but more gears ect.

Tuesday, October 20th 2009, 1:34am

Can you design a future version for 1941 or so with a 100mm/105mm/110mm gun? We're probably going to reach that gun size before long, based on the current rate.

Tuesday, October 20th 2009, 2:42am

Quoted

Originally posted by thesmilingassassin
What about speed? If below 25mph it would seem prudent to start dumping rear armour. I tend to agree with stuart on the top hull armour being beefed up. If armour is averaged out (front and rear) 25mm seems reasonable enough for floor armour.

Speed drops to a bit over 23 mph. Most early-war heavy tanks, designed to break through enemy lines, had relatively heavy armor all around for good reason: as they broke through the enemy lines, they might be taking fire from any direction, they could not rely on having the enemy in front of them.

Quoted

With reguards to the transmission the 600hp engine requires a 1.4 ton tranny while the 800hp engine needs a 1.8 ton tranny. It stands to reason then the cross linked transmission will weigh the same for 2x400hp engines. Lighter engines but more gears ect.

2 400 hp engines might well not be any lighter than a single 800 hp engine anyway.

Tuesday, October 20th 2009, 2:45am

Quoted

Originally posted by Brockpaine
Can you design a future version for 1941 or so with a 100mm/105mm/110mm gun? We're probably going to reach that gun size before long, based on the current rate.

Can I? Of course. Do I want to? Not at all...... I had a nice progression of several models of Panzer III with the 50mm gun all laid out. I got to build 2 versions. I had a progression of 5 or 6 versions of the Panzer IV, starting out with the 75/24 and moving on to the 75/48, etc. I may get to use 3 of them, at this rate. <sigh>

Tuesday, October 20th 2009, 2:51am

A quick up-gunned version of the last design, with a 100mm/52 and an enlarged turret so the crew has a little room to move in it, a beefed-up suspension, and wider tracks to hold the ground pressure the same, comes out to just a hair under 50 tons, at a speed of just under 22 mph.

Tuesday, October 20th 2009, 2:55am

Quoted

Originally posted by Hrolf Hakonson

Quoted

Can I? Of course. Do I want to? Not at all...... I had a nice progression of several models of Panzer III with the 50mm gun all laid out. I got to build 2 versions. I had a progression of 5 or 6 versions of the Panzer IV, starting out with the 75/24 and moving on to the 75/48, etc. I may get to use 3 of them, at this rate. <sigh>

Okay then, let's play a game. :D How much do you want to bet that before 1940 starts, someone is going to come out with a tank with a HV gun at least 85mm/88mm or larger? And not those (IMHO very silly) French mongo-tanks?

Care to bet on that?

Yes? No?

I say that in a very joking manner, but my point is very serious. I don't think it'll be that long at all before we see tanks armed like that.

Tuesday, October 20th 2009, 2:57am

Quoted

Quoted

Quoted

Okay then, let's play a game. :D How much do you want to bet that before 1940 starts, someone is going to come out with a tank with a HV gun at least 85mm/88mm or larger? And not those (IMHO very silly) French mongo-tanks?

Care to bet on that?

Yes? No?

Check Indian thread. :rolleyes:

Tuesday, October 20th 2009, 2:58am

Quoted

Originally posted by perdedor99
Check Indian thread. :rolleyes:

What? Where?

Tuesday, October 20th 2009, 2:58am

The pieces are around. Just need to piece them together.

Tuesday, October 20th 2009, 3:07am

......piece them together at a realistic pace. Then again theres no point in introducing a tank thats obsolete the minute it's introduced, which is what I fear will happen if I introduce a KV-1 type tank to historical specs. We've already advanced beyond historical.

giving too much already. :D

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "perdedor99" (Oct 20th 2009, 3:10am)

*le sigh*

Here we go again with the tanks...

Guys, I have to ask. We spend so much time arguing about tanks and improving the guns and armour and all that jazz... do we need to decide on a gentleman's rule to govern it all?

Heh, _I_ have the pieces, and the word of the TT-37 will definitely put the spurs to the heavy panzer project. Where could vehicles like the TT-37, in Russian and French hands, be pointed? Right at Germany., very, very easily, it's not like they're necessary against China or useful in French Indochina..... Gah...... It'll probably be built with a 88/56, mind, not the 88/71, but still.....

Tuesday, October 20th 2009, 3:10am

Which is why I'm still trying to come up with a realistic design for the TT-37. Wesworld is already advanced abit too far with tanks so its difficult to guage whats realistic anymore.

Tuesday, October 20th 2009, 3:10am

Quoted

it's not like they're necessary against China.....

No? Funny, Parador just mentioned he was looking for a Chinese heavy tank with a 75mm/L50...

Tuesday, October 20th 2009, 3:13am

...and this even before the final official TT-37 design is acctually completed. We're still talking about it.

Quoted

Which is why I'm still trying to come up with a realistic design for the TT-37. Wesworld is already advanced abit too far with tanks so its difficult to guage whats realistic anymore.

And the TT-37 is basically a 1942-43 tank in 1938. Around five years too early but I agree that if one nation did it already is only fair for you and every one else to do it. As long as no 1970's tanks began to make an apperance. :rolleyes:

Quoted

Agreed. As I understand it, the big reason to upgun came because of WWII, when the Germans and Russians were trying to beat tanks to beat each other - and knowing it was necessary because they were actually shooting at the other guy's stuff. Peacetime development ought to be a lot slower than we're portraying here.

Tuesday, October 20th 2009, 3:16am

Quoted

...and this even before the final official TT-37 design is acctually completed. We're still talking about it.

I was planning this for a long time. It was more a response to the Hammer 36 exercises. My main battle tank is armed with a low velocity 75mm gun. And no, it will not be a world beater.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "perdedor99" (Oct 20th 2009, 3:16am)

Tuesday, October 20th 2009, 3:17am

Quoted

Originally posted by perdedor99

Quoted

And the TT-37 is basically a 1942-43 tank in 1938. Around five years too early but I agree that if one nation did it already is only fair for you and every one else to do it. As long as no 1970's tanks began to make an apperance. :rolleyes:

Its no such thing, we're still debating its final design OOC but IC China already has called for a 75mm/L50 gun and from what I can see of India's encyclopedia it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out where things will head at the current rate.

I might as well mount my own 75mm AA gun on the AT-37 now....