You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Tuesday, September 8th 2009, 9:03am

I drew something!

...okay, I kitbashed a Boulton-Paul Defiant drawing.

...I WAAAAAAAANT IT.

No idea about specs or anything. Perhaps it's like the Boulton-Paul P.94 or something?

Tuesday, September 8th 2009, 9:46am

If the only diference is a lack of turret seems like a Boulton-Paul P.94.

Wednesday, September 9th 2009, 6:20pm

Good for a first attempt. Mine were pretty crappy really when I first started out.

Specs equal to P.94 sound about right, might be a tad faster but generally looks like a good 1930s type.

Thursday, September 10th 2009, 2:44pm

Looks good, just be sure to move the cannons outward. Right now they are going to blow your prop off.

Sunday, September 13th 2009, 5:13pm

I agree about the cannon location but there might be room for six 20mm in the wings.

I still like this concept alot on a second look. I'd have BP make an export fighter out of it but I guess ENEAR will have it on the drawing board by now (or Bulgarian Fighters Inc or O'Murphy's Whirly Things Co.) :P

Sunday, September 13th 2009, 5:24pm

Hey, if you'd be willing to have BP make it, the Irish will buy some to supplement their Hurries MkIs! Perhaps get one in time for the 1938 Talons?

The Bulgarians might even be lured away from the latest Spitfire mark for their next order of fighters. (My policy for the Bulgarians is for them to buy one order of fighters from DAR/Avia and one order of fighters from another country. This gives the Bulgarians a top-of-the-line foreign fighter, but also means the Bulgarians have an indigenous means of acquiring parts and new airplanes in case they're at war and can't get foreign equipment.)

ENAER is mainly license-building I-01-IIs and developing planes like the Coati - not developing any indigenous fighters. The only real stunner I'm ever going to have ENAER make is the Alicanto, and that's designed with serious Atlantean help.

What should it be called?

Sunday, September 13th 2009, 7:28pm

[SIZE=3]Bolton-Paul Defiant P94[/SIZE] (Actual P94 specs, sfaict)
Statistics
- Crew: 1 Pilot
- Length: 35 ft 4 in (10.77 m)
- Wingspan: 39 ft 4 in (11.99 m)
- Height: 12 ft 2 in (3.71 m)
- Wing area: 250 ft² (23 m²)
- Empty weight: ? lb (? kg)
- Loaded weight: ? lbs (? kg)
- Powerplant: 1,100 hp (820kW) Merlin XX
- Armament: 12x.30cal MG

Performance
- Maximum speed: 360 mph / 579.3 kph (312.8 knots)
- Max Range: ? nmi (? mi, ? km)
- Combat Radius: ? nmi (? mi, ? km)
- Service ceiling: ? ft (? m)
- Rate of climb: 3,235 ft/min (16.4 m/s)

These specs are the best I could find for the historical P94 Defiant. I couldn't find any weights or range info, but have a look at that amazing rate of climb! And yes, they were seriously going to stick twelve thirty-cals on her! 8o

Maybe for the Irish version, use Spitfire-V specs for weight and range, a Merlin-45 engine, and increase the speed to 375mph?

Sunday, September 13th 2009, 7:38pm

I got the service ceiling of 7620 meters "other data similair to that of the Defiant". The source is probably the same as the one you used as the data seems to be identical (British Secret Projects 1935-1950)

Sunday, September 13th 2009, 7:49pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Vukovlad
I got the service ceiling of 7620 meters "other data similair to that of the Defiant". The source is probably the same as the one you used as the data seems to be identical (British Secret Projects 1935-1950)

Huh, that doesn't make sense to me: the regular Defiant is supposedly able to reach 30,000 ft (9250m)...

Sunday, September 13th 2009, 8:03pm

BSP notes an 1100hp Merlin XX, but such a powerplant didn't actually exist. It would more likely be 1460hp Merlin XX. Bear in mind the prototype didn't have guns (probably no self sealing tanks and armour either) so empty weight would go up a bit, with speed and rate of climb reducing.

The rate of climb doesn't strike me as being amazing. Its pretty similar to the Hurricane II and a bit worse than the Spitfire I with 400hp less. The Supermarine 313 (essentially a Spitfire with 4x20mm) offers better performance with less power.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Red Admiral" (Sep 13th 2009, 8:05pm)

Sunday, September 13th 2009, 8:05pm

Sorry dont know why the discrepancy but since its a WW aircraft use the original Defiant data

Sunday, September 13th 2009, 8:09pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Red Admiral
The rate of climb doesn't strike me as being amazing. Its pretty similar to the Hurricane II and a bit worse than the Spitfire I with 400hp less. The Supermarine 313 (essentially a Spitfire with 4x20mm) offers better performance with less power.

My information says the Spitfire-V had a 13.5m/s climb rate, and the Hurry had a 14m/s climb rate. ?(

Sunday, September 13th 2009, 8:26pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Brockpaine
My information says the Spitfire-V had a 13.5m/s climb rate, and the Hurry had a 14m/s climb rate. ?(

Its a bit complicated as things change with altitude and there are lots of reports to wade through. This isn't too bad for looking at performance changes with height.

Wednesday, September 16th 2009, 11:12am

Boulton Paul could make them but since the line has long closed it means re-opening it.
Adding a Merlin and the aft changes wouldn't take much time and flight testing would be fairly easy since most the unknowns are known about the aerodymanics. If Ireland and Bulgaria buys then it might be economically worth it. A third export nation would be welcome too. (BP needs the money with two expensive programmes underway) :P

I'd proabaly want Spits rather than this since the Defiant is aging compared to the latest thinking coming out of Camm & Mitchell's brains right now.

WW engine choice is a RR Merlin VI of 1,280hp with the 1,650hp Merlin VII not available until 1940 at least.