You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Sunday, August 23rd 2009, 5:41pm

BTW, Walter...

I love your new avatar. I think it's quite fitting for you. Very distinguished, in a "I will now laugh my evil laugh of awesomeness" way. :)

Sunday, August 23rd 2009, 6:01pm

Meh. I kinda prefered the eye-candy, m'self. (:

Sunday, August 23rd 2009, 6:14pm

Eh, I can't say I did. :P

Sunday, August 23rd 2009, 6:44pm

Quoted

I love your new avatar. I think it's quite fitting for you.

I've used it in the past before. It's Oda Nobunaga, "the Demon King". When I feel evil, I use it. :evil:
With that sword of his, he could easily make the jump to the Star Wars universe. :D

Quoted

Very distinguished, in a "I will now laugh my evil laugh of awesomeness" way.

Like this? :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vp6pPdiIPkc&feature=related

Sunday, August 23rd 2009, 8:02pm

pffft. Walter and his dime-store Darth Vader knockoffs...

[SIZE=4]BEHOLD !!![/SIZE]

Sunday, August 23rd 2009, 8:12pm

Quoted

Originally posted by ShinRa_Inc
pffft. Walter and his dime-store Darth Vader knockoffs...

First there was Oda Nobunaga who pretty much unified most of Japan. About 400 years later Darth Vader was created for some movie... so Darth Vader is just some lame Nobunaga wannabe with a few extra parlor tricks up his sleeve. :D
*runs away from angry Star Wars fans*

Quoted

[SIZE=4]BEHOLD !!![/SIZE]

euhmmm...
*puts on glasses*
Guild... of.... Kalashinikov... Interest...
:)
Never heard of it. No doubt one of those guilds that was created and destroyed within a day. :)

Sunday, August 23rd 2009, 8:16pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Rooijen10
First there was Oda Nobunaga who pretty much unified most of Japan. About 400 years later Darth Vader was created for some movie... so Darth Vader is just some lame Nobunaga wannabe with a few extra parlor tricks up his sleeve. :D

Vader was a lot cooler before he was sissified in the new movies.

Sunday, August 23rd 2009, 8:20pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Brockpaine

Quoted

Plus Walter forgets the whole "A long time ago..." part.

As for the Guild, I've scheduled you for an appointment, Walter...

“My name iz Dr. Henry Killinger, und zis iz my magic murder bag.”

Sunday, August 23rd 2009, 8:31pm

Quoted

Vader's biggest flaw is that he lived in a Hollywood world where Good always triumphs over Evil. It did not matter what he tried, he was doomed to fail from the point when the screen said "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away..."

Now if Sergio Corbucci had directed the movies and made it a little bit like Il Grande Silenzio, then Vader would have been victorious in the end and Luke would have fallen to the dark side and his friends would have died a hero's death to try and save Luke's soul and the universe... :)

Quoted

“My name iz Dr. Henry Killinger, und zis iz my magic murder bag.”

Still does not ring a bell...
*puts the Doctor on Manzo's plane*

Sunday, August 23rd 2009, 8:42pm

Quoted

Now if Sergio Corbucci had directed the movies and made it a little bit like Il Grande Silenzio, then Vader would have been victorious in the end and Luke would have fallen to the dark side and his friends would have died a hero's death to try and save Luke's soul and the universe... :)

Personally, I think that from a writing perspective, Luke should have died aboard the Death Star after saving Vader from the dark side.

The original trilogy (IV, V, and VI) were good movies despite a bit of camp. Movies I, II, and III pretty much destroyed the Star Wars saga for me. I felt the Jedi of the new movies were... well, not morally superior to the Sith they were fighting. Worse, Lucas tossed in ridiculously STUPID dialog ("Only a Sith deals in absolutes" and so on and so forth). I wrote better science fiction when I was in high school...

Currently, Star Wars' saving grace for me comes from the books - the X-Wing series in particular, which I enjoy; and most of all from Timothy Zahn's "Thrawn Triology". (By the way - if you've never heard of Timothy Zahn, go out and read anything of his that you can find. One of THE most awesome writers of all time, IMHO!)

Sunday, August 23rd 2009, 8:47pm

Vader does better in the Expanded universe. Force Unleashed is pretty good in that area.

As for the prequel trilogies, they suffer in that Lucas wrote and directed them; Other writers polished his scripts for the original trilogy, and other directors actually put them together. He's a great Idea guy, but he's got definate limitations beyond that. Case in point; the Thrawn trilogy (and a lot of the other book series), and even the new Clone Wars cartoon are generally good times.

Quoted

Still does not ring a bell...
*puts the Doctor on Manzo's plane*

Luckily, the good Dr. has an escape umbrella...

Regardless...

HOW CAN YOU NOT HAVE HEARD OF THE MONARCH !?!?!?

Monday, August 24th 2009, 1:12am

You were saying?

I don't know, the 3rd one was pretty good. The 501st assault on the Jedi Temple has got to be one of the most chilling scenes in the entire series.

Monday, August 24th 2009, 1:26am

Okay, number three does get the prize for special effects coolness and cinematography, but that can't save what I feel is a rather poor movie. The space battles are a tad silly, and the lightsaber fights were downright pathetic. I could beat either Obi-Wan or Anakin without much trouble - they're pathetically poor fencers. Really, SWIII is MST3K material: between the obnoxiously ironic Jedi-Sith tripe, the over-the-top Troo Wuv scenes, and the showy but annoyingly inelegant fight scenes, I'd rate the movie a D+ at best. It takes a lot to get me to openly mock a movie: and SWIII is one of the two movies that have managed to do so. (The other is the old 1950s Dr. Doolittle. Emphatic disgust, dismissal.)

When your fans can make a lightsaber fight every bit as awesome as your megamillion dollar director, it's time to rethink your strategy.

Monday, August 24th 2009, 1:58am

Quoted

Personally, I think that from a writing perspective, Luke should have died aboard the Death Star after saving Vader from the dark side.

No! That means that Vader would have lost! Evil should triumph! :)

Quoted

Lucas tossed in ridiculously STUPID dialog ("Only a Sith deals in absolutes" and so on and so forth).

Well... it could have been worse. :D
http://winterson.com/2005/06/episode-iii…ke-of-west.html
BTW, love this fanart. :D
http://kinokochan.deviantart.com/art/Bac…e-West-20982731

Quoted

By the way - if you've never heard of Timothy Zahn, go out and read anything of his that you can find. One of THE most awesome writers of all time, IMHO!)

Will keep that in mind (hopefully) the next time I visit the American Book Center in either The Hague or Amsterdam. :)

Quoted

Well, if you come over and watch the TV over here, you will know the answer in no time.

Quoted

When your fans can make a lightsaber fight every bit as awesome as your megamillion dollar director, it's time to rethink your strategy.

He should have casted those two guys for the movie. :D

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Monday, August 24th 2009, 2:22am

I have to admit, these two guys did a splendid job....

Monday, August 24th 2009, 2:29am

I must agree the first three Star Wars were very good, some parts were a bit corny but on the whole it didn't take itself too seriously.

The prequel trio is just lame, the third is the best of the newer films but even that seems a poor comparision to the originals.

Really there should be a ban on re-makes and series cash-ins after 20 odd years. The Italian job is one example that springs to mind. Pearl Harbour was crap, Tora Tora Tora was much better (a full-size Nagato replica, loads of replica Jap planes, some corny one-liners, tons of explosions and for a change the Yankees get a damn good kickin' and look stupid to boot).

Rumor still has it that The Dambusters is to be remade. Rumour is that Peter Jackson is involved, since he is involved in a major way with accurate replica aircraft in New Zealand this promises something good but no doubt the Americans will mess the whole thing up with some crappy love triangle, over the top special effects that are totally unbelieveable, some kind of American foucused view and somehow won't be a patch on the original. Beat that top musical score too? I don't think so...
Those three Lancs in the originals beating up the lakes at low level are real, you can see the wake behind them they are so low. The film sonds pretty good, let alone what the filmcrew must of heard! We all know that won't happen in the movie, the planes are fakes and the sounds pre-recorded. It's just not the same.
Likewise 633 Sqn is only worth watching for the Mosquitos.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Hood" (Aug 24th 2009, 2:29am)

Monday, August 24th 2009, 4:42am

Quoted

Really there should be a ban on re-makes and series cash-ins after 20 odd years

To me, remakes scream "I desperately want to make a movie but I have no idea what kind of movie it should be so I will just 'borrow' someone else's movie".

There are some exceptions like A Fistful of Dollars (remake of Akira Kurosawa's Yojimbo) and The Magnificent Seven (1960 movie, remake of Akira Kurosawa's Shichinin no Samurai), but usually remakes are crap.

Quoted

Pearl Harbour was crap

I was watching Bat 21 and during the commercials, I took a quick peek at Pearl Harbour on another channel. The attack was going on and after about 10-15 seconds I quickly changed back to the other channel and decided to watch the commercials. The commercials were better than the Pearl Harbour!!

Quoted

Rumor still has it that The Dambusters is to be remade. Rumour is that Peter Jackson is involved, since he is involved in a major way with accurate replica aircraft in New Zealand this promises something good but no doubt the Americans will mess the whole thing up with some crappy love triangle, over the top special effects that are totally unbelieveable, some kind of American foucused view and somehow won't be a patch on the original. Beat that top musical score too? I don't think so...

Who knows? It might end up like U-571 so you have the Americans bombing those dams. :)

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Rooijen10" (Aug 24th 2009, 4:42am)

Monday, August 24th 2009, 4:54am

Quoted

Originally posted by Hood
Really there should be a ban on re-makes and series cash-ins after 20 odd years. The Italian job is one example that springs to mind.

I agree. (Though I never saw the original Italian Job, and as a consequence rather enjoyed the one that came out a few years ago.)

Quoted

Quoted

Who knows? It might end up like U-571 so you have the Americans bombing those dams. :)

As an American, it irks me to no end that Our Dear Elite Masters in Hollywood think we Americans can't enjoy a movie unless it is about Americans, and then proceeds to rip off something the Brits or Canadians did, and pass it off as a "We done it". U571 is a case in point. If we listened to Hollyweird History, you'd think America won the war single-handedly with only a bit of speechifying from Churchill to add a bit of local color. :rolleyes:

Ironically, the only person I've ever met who actually believes this tripe was a Canadian. I debated him on a different forum - turned into a rather odd debate. He, as a Canadian, insisted that Canada and Britain made no serious contributions to WWII and just floundered around until the US arrived. The Americans all promptly chimed in with "It's nice to hear someone talk well of us for a change, but you're really stupid if you believe that." (Unfortunately, he's one of those people who sees evidence as a barrier to belief, and I'm pretty certain that we didn't convince him.)

Tuesday, August 25th 2009, 2:20am

Quoted

Originally posted by BrockPaine

You should read the Infinities comic series, if you haven't already.

Quoted

Quoted

By the way - if you've never heard of Timothy Zahn, go out and read anything of his that you can find. One of THE most awesome writers of all time, IMHO!)

Will keep that in mind (hopefully) the next time I visit the American Book Center in either The Hague or Amsterdam. :)

Star Wars has always been pretty popular, and had a decent run in comics and a few one-off novels (Splinter of a Mind's Eye, for example), but the Thrawn Trilogy is what really drew serious interest back into the genre (besides endlessly re-watching the original films). Timothy Zahn also came up with several things that Lucas ended up respecting enough to not dick around with in the new films; Coruscant was originally going to be called something else, for example. Stackpole's books are good too, but a bit less epic in scale. On the plus side, they're heavily based on the X-wing series flight sims when it comes to technical reference. Also, the Star Wars stuff seems to do pretty well when it comes to being translated and such, but I'm not too sure if it's in Dutch.

Quoted

Quoted

Well, if you come over and watch the TV over here, you will know the answer in no time.

That's all from a show called "The Venture Bros." If you get an opportunity to watch it somehow, I'd highly reccomend it; It's right up your alley. In fact, here's a promo for season 4; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gyx9c9cU…player_embedded

Pearl Harbor isn't too bad....so long you skip most of the first 40 minutes or so. While the story isn't that great, the effects are decent, if sporadic. If you're going to make a serious "Big budget" film, you can at least CGI the Japanese fleet instead of showing a fuzzy shot of a modern USN CVBG. And show Knox class FFGs all over the place.

Tuesday, August 25th 2009, 3:18am

I've always said, the level of special effects today BEGS for a new movie about the hunt for the Bismarck.

As for me I never compair remakes or sequels to the orriginal classics. I'm a huge Terminator fan and dispite its being dated the other sequels, even T-2, don't compair to the orriginal movie, though I must admit the later sequels do tend to be deluted somewhat.

With reguards to Star Wars its a pitty that Lucas was trying to act like Romero and add modern day political issues into his movies. It works with Zombies but not with classic sci-fi movies.

I suppose thats why I'm such a fan of the Terminator series because they, like Zombies, make the ultimate enemy, uncaring, unreasonable, systematic killers.