You are not logged in.

Monday, August 17th 2009, 8:59pm

Heh, no one does. Cargo doesn't need to go that fast, or it needs to go faster (by air). Passengers, sometimes, need to go that fast, but cargo? No.

Monday, August 17th 2009, 9:15pm

I know that a lot of leaf stuff we get in boxes to be used in bouquets are not flown over but are transported by ship. Usually when we get it, it has already been on the boat for a month or so. Those leaves can hold out for quite a while. Roses is a different thing and they are transported by plane.

... of course if you have 1000 tons of perishable goods that need to be transported... :)

Monday, August 17th 2009, 9:56pm

How realistic would it be to get a ship that size that makes 18-21 knots, then re-engine it during the CV conversion to make 33 knots? I'm guessing it would be tricky at best... I'd think you'd need to at least replace the shafts.

Monday, August 17th 2009, 11:49pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Brockpaine
How realistic would it be to get a ship that size that makes 18-21 knots, then re-engine it during the CV conversion to make 33 knots? I'm guessing it would be tricky at best... I'd think you'd need to at least replace the shafts.

Not very realistic. The hull form would be more optimised for 20knts, not 30knts+ so you'd have to add even more power than usual, probably getting on for 6-8 times as much power. Where do you fit that sort of power?

The Italian liner Roma was good for 20knts+ and reengined with two sets of lightweight destroyer machinery originally intended for the Capitani Romanis; she was expected to make about 30knts with 150,000shp. She was almost totally gutted and the hull form reworked in the reconstruction. I'm not sure whether it would be worth it.

Monday, August 17th 2009, 11:53pm

That's what I figured.