You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Friday, July 31st 2009, 11:44am

Brazil 1937

Sorry about the time warp folks, however I feel a need to respond to the news from Peru.

July 27th

The Empire of Brazil, has decided to deploy the Army of Amazonia (1) from its base at the town of Manaus to the village of Benjamin Constant on the Brazilian/Peruvian border. Orders are to defend the border from potential Peruvian border violations similar to what has befallen Columbia, to protect Brazil's interests in the Amazon river basin, and should Brazil be drawn into a war with Peru, to provide assistance to the Columbian forces. A diplomatic note regarding this force was sent to the Columbian ambassador, with the request to send a liasion officer to meet with the Army's commander. Prior to setting out, all soldiers were given a detailed description of the uniforms in use by the Columbian armed forces, to help to prevent an unfortunate incident.

As well, the Empire has decided to offer the services of the 1st Cruiser Squadron, and the 1st Destroyer Flotilla under the command of Admiral D´Oro, to the Columbian/Chilean/Atlantean forces.

(1) The Army of Amazonia is composed of 2 divisions, trained and equipped for jungle fighting. They are for the most part drawn from the native peoples of the Amazon River basin for various reasons.

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "TheCanadian" (Jul 31st 2009, 11:52am)

Saturday, February 6th 2010, 1:55am

January 15th

Exército to Announce Massive Reorganization, Reduction

The Imperial Exército announced today that it is planning a complete reorganization to begin in 1938 and lasting until at least 1940. During this time, the Exército will also be reduced by up to 10 divisions. When asked for further information, the Exército representative gave a strict answer of "no comment." From various sources, we have managed to learn that the future size of the standing Imperial Exército will be at 20 divisions, likely to be composed of 10 Infrantry, 3 Cavalry, 2 Mountain, 3 Light, and 2 Armoured. As well the Imperial Exército is apparently planning on making large orders to various arms manufactors in various nations to purchase modern equipment for the Exército. When asked about this and whether this decision was made following the dismal performance of the Imperial Exército in the recent South American War, an Exército representative apparently looked shocked and replied "no not at all."

Sunday, February 7th 2010, 1:59pm

Two nitpicks: first, it'd be Exército Imperial, not Imperial Exército. Second one is harder to correct: Benjamin Constant was one of the key figures of the institution of the republican government in Brazil. I don't think he would hae a town/village/whatever named after him.

Sunday, February 7th 2010, 2:02pm

There apparently is however a town named Benjamin Constant.

Sunday, February 7th 2010, 3:28pm

But I think Gral's point is that it might not have been called that in the 1930's, or more importantly, WW 1930's.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Commodore Green" (Feb 7th 2010, 3:32pm)

Monday, February 8th 2010, 2:58am

Sure, but I haven't been able to find the towns previous name or when it was changed. Given the issues with trying to figure out alternate history its a minor point really.

Monday, February 8th 2010, 12:44pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Commodore Green
But I think Gral's point is that it might not have been called that in the 1930's, or more importantly, WW 1930's.

I meant in WW 30's. IIRC, it was already named Benjamin Constant in the 30's. Yes, it's a minor point.

Monday, February 8th 2010, 2:26pm

Quoted

Originally posted by gral

Quoted

Originally posted by Commodore Green

I meant in WW 30's. IIRC, it was already named Benjamin Constant in the 30's. Yes, it's a minor point.

The name's also used for Brazil's sail-training ship.

Monday, February 8th 2010, 9:46pm

It is a minor point, especially compared to some of the others in WW, (Great War for one). However I can either change the history of the man, or I can change the name of the sail training ship and the town. Personally, I think its easier to change the history of the man especially seeing as Brock wrote a nice Tall Ships race which the Benjamin Constant was part of.

Monday, February 8th 2010, 9:57pm

Benjamin Constant historically was one of the leaders who overthrew the Brazilian empire; perhaps instead of a military overthrow, Constant was a republican reformer? Although such a figure would be unpopular to the Brazilian elites, republican sentiment among the people could still make him a popular hero (a philosophical Robin Hood) rather than a villain.