You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Tuesday, July 14th 2009, 11:37am

Chinese Heavy Tank Conquest

The chinese ministry for defense published the requirements for a new heay tank:

Crew: 5 men
Range: > 100km
Armament: 50mm Canon or 75mm Canon
Armour: min 30mm
Speed: ~ 40 km/h

The Chinese designs are already known to the ministry.

Prototypes:
China needs as soon as possible a minimum of 5 prototypes of each design

Serial production:
China will buy the production license so that the needed quantity could be built in China.

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "parador" (Jul 14th 2009, 2:39pm)

Tuesday, July 14th 2009, 2:07pm

How many tanks is China looking to acquire, and is China looking to acquire a production license or to buy this purchase entirely abroad?

Tuesday, July 14th 2009, 3:14pm

Does China use heavy tanks as infantry tanks or as more general heavier versions of existing medium types? You said the 1936 SATSUMA exercises showed "a great need for heavy tanks" and "The equipment of the armored divisions with medium tanks appeared to be insufficient" but that still doesn't indicate what role China's seeking.

For a heavy infantry tank, the current Chinese Legionnaires are probably up to do the job, and it keeps the Chinese heavy tanks in step with each other.

Tuesday, July 14th 2009, 3:19pm

True, given that China already has some Legionaires, more wouldn't be a bad idea unless there's some difficulty with them. Since the Legionaires currently carry a 75mm/26, there wouldn't be any problem replacing that with a 50mm gun for anti-tank work, if the 75mm is felt insufficient for that task.

Tuesday, July 14th 2009, 3:35pm

There is no problems with the Legionaires.

The tank is foreseen, together with the medium tanks (Legionaire), as a standard model for the chinese tank divisions.
He has to be equipped with a armor breaking canon, to eliminate the enemy tanks. Furthermore, he is also be equipped
with a sufficient number of machine guns to fight successfully against soft targets.

Tuesday, July 14th 2009, 3:41pm

Then you're not looking for a heavy infantry tank; you're looking for a heavier cruiser tank, if I understand you correctly?

I'm fairly confident you can upgrade the Legionnaire with, say, a 75mm/L42 gun, improve the armor a bit, and upsize the engine to get what you want.

Tuesday, July 14th 2009, 4:45pm

Quoted

The Chinese designs are already known to the ministry.

May be, the Legionaire II is one of them ;)

But China wants to see what's available on the market

Tuesday, July 14th 2009, 7:09pm

Hmmmm. Germany really doesn't have anything that fits these parameters: the Panzer III is armed with a 50mm/60, and the Panzer IV is armed with the 75mm/24, and there's no longer barreled 75mm available at the moment.

The US has a similar issue, nothing that really fits these parameters at the moment. The M-4 has a 76.2mm/30, and it's the heaviest tank available at the moment.

Tuesday, July 14th 2009, 8:14pm

Theoretically, a 75mm gun of 40-45 calibers should be more than enough for antitank work for the 1937-1940 era. That'll still make a tank competitive with mid-WWII era tanks.

Kaiser Kirk

Lightbringer and former European Imperialist

Wednesday, July 15th 2009, 2:07am

Quoted

Originally posted by Brockpaine
I'm fairly confident you can upgrade the Legionnaire with, say, a 75mm/L42 gun, improve the armor a bit, and upsize the engine to get what you want.

There was another thread with a great deal of rancor. I am firmly of the opinion that given the Legionnaire's width, it is unlikely it can be upgunned to such a weapon. Others will disagree.

Wednesday, July 15th 2009, 2:31am

For some reason I remember that thread...

Wednesday, July 15th 2009, 3:25am

Quoted

Originally posted by Kaiser Kirk

Quoted

Originally posted by Brockpaine

There was another thread with a great deal of rancor. I am firmly of the opinion that given the Legionnaire's width, it is unlikely it can be upgunned to such a weapon. Others will disagree.

I think this might be the discussion you're talking about?

Wednesday, July 15th 2009, 5:04pm

Fiat has some designs that would fit the bill, but wouldn't be allowed to sell them to China.

The 75mm L24 or L26 should be fairly adequate for most threats in the next few years.

Monday, July 20th 2009, 2:53pm

China has these guns ...

a) 5 cm TankCanon L/60 (could be built as a tank version of the 5cm AT-Gun)

b) 7,5cm TankCanon L/50 (used on the japanese heavy tank)

Monday, July 20th 2009, 3:09pm

Using a similar gun to the 7.5cm/50 (a 75mm/48), the planned Panzer IVE is expected to weigh almost 25 tons, but the speed is only going to be about 21 mph or 32 km/h. Of course, in 1937, it's just paper, the gun is still being developed so it's exact weight isn't known.

Monday, July 20th 2009, 3:11pm

Quoted

Originally posted by parador
China has these guns ...

a) 5 cm TankCanon L/60 (could be built as a tank version of the 5cm AT-Gun)

b) 7,5cm TankCanon L/50 (used on the japanese heavy tank)

The 5cm gun would be an easy drop-in replacement for the 75mm/26 on the Legionaires, all you'd need besides the new gun and it's sight would be new ammo racks.

Monday, July 20th 2009, 3:11pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Hrolf Hakonson
Using a similar gun to the 7.5cm/50 (a 75mm/48), the planned Panzer IVE is expected to weigh almost 25 tons, but the speed is only going to be about 21 mph or 32 km/h. Of course, in 1937, it's just paper, the gun is still being developed so it's exact weight isn't known.

How did the weight end up IRL?

Monday, July 20th 2009, 3:18pm

The weight of the 75mm/48 and the performance of the PzIVE.

Monday, July 20th 2009, 3:22pm

The weight of the 75mm/48 (in a vehicle, as opposed to on a towed mount with a carriage) is about 700 kg. The WW Panzer IVE will end up with a speed just under 21 mph, the consequence of weight rising 25% from the original vehicle but the engine only getting an additional 10% horsepower.

Monday, July 20th 2009, 5:50pm

I assume that it will be significantly uparmored to have a 25% weight increase