You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Friday, May 15th 2009, 3:21pm

BFW Bf-260 transport

A WW version of the historical Messerschmitt P.08.01 project (though Planebuilder doesn't give me near the projected capability of the real-world design). Can't see a whole lot of use for this one, but it's interesting nonetheless….. WW Germany, right now, doesn't see a lot of need for massive long-range transport aircraft.

Aircraft Type or Name:

BFW Bf-260

General Type:
Airplane = 1
Airship = 2
Orbiter = 3

Year of First Flight: 1943

Description

Conventional Aircraft
Monoplane
Conventional Fuselage

The WW version of the Messerschmitt P.08.01, powered by 4 Argus As-421C H-engines buried in the thick wings and driving the pusher-mounted 16-foot props via extension shafts. Fitted with 2 quad 11mm MG-111 turrets (nose and tail). Cargo load is 46 metric tons over a range of 2000 miles, 32 metric tons over a range of 4000 miles, or 20 metric tons over a range of 6000 miles.

Characteristics:

Weight (maximum) 206,100 lbs
Weight (empty) 61,149 lbs

Length 50.5 ft
Wingspan 166 ft
Wing Area 3,229 sq ft
Sweep 23 degrees

Engines 4
Argus As-421C
Piston

3,878 hp
at 21,000 ft

Crew 5

Typical cost $0.323 million in 1943
Total number procured 2000

Performance:

Top Speed 344 kts = 396 mph
at 21,000 ft
Mach N/A

Operational Ceiling 33,000 ft

Range 6,000 nm = 6,909 miles
with 44,229 lbs payload
61,490 lbs released at halfway point

Climb 1,162 fpm

Cruise 250 kts = 288 mph
at 18,000 ft

Corner Speed 178 KIAS =
248 kts at 21,000 ft
Mach N/A
Turning Rate 10.8 deg/sec
Radius 4,465 ft

Internal Data:

Intake / Fan Diameter 16 ft

Bypass Ratio 83

Engine Weight 4200 lbs
Overall Efficiency 23.5 percent

Structural Factor 1.00

Number of Wings 1
Number of Fuselages 1

Limiting Airspeed 300 kts
Wing Ultimate g Load 3.00 g
Wing Taper 0.3
Wing Thickness at Root 7 ft

Tail / Canard Factor 0

Number of Nacelles 0
Length 12.5 ft
Diameter 3.25 ft
Fullness 0.75

Fuselage Diameter 11 ft
Fuselage Fullness 0.6

Pressurized Volume 0 percent
Cargo Decks 0.7

Cleanness 90 percent
Unstreamlined section 8 sq ft

User equipment 3,400 lbs

Friday, May 15th 2009, 9:00pm

I'm not sure its the most practical design. I would have expected something like the Junker 390 or that big Fw design if a heavy transport was needed. Where would Germany need to transport things to? Something like the Bev makes a lot more sense for ferrying heavy loads around Germany.

Friday, May 15th 2009, 9:03pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Red Admiral
I'm not sure its the most practical design. I would have expected something like the Junker 390 or that big Fw design if a heavy transport was needed. Where would Germany need to transport things to? Something like the Bev makes a lot more sense for ferrying heavy loads around Germany.

From Europe to the Middle East/Bharat perhaps? :rolleyes: :D

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "perdedor99" (May 15th 2009, 9:03pm)

Friday, May 15th 2009, 9:08pm

Well, I'm not aware of any German territory over there... Ships are usually better as well.

Friday, May 15th 2009, 9:11pm

...A flying wing bomber being used as a transport? -scratches head- Has Germany done any smaller scale planes on the flying wing concept?

Friday, May 15th 2009, 9:14pm

Quoted

Well, I'm not aware of any German territory over there... Ships are usually better as well.

Not yet! :D Maybe German Somalia later on. :D Also there is some stuff you want to deliver in a hurry.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "perdedor99" (May 15th 2009, 9:14pm)

Saturday, May 16th 2009, 1:44am

Actually, the original design was a multi-purpose aircraft, to be developed in different versions (some where bombers, some were transports). See here for more details: http://www.luft46.com/mess/mep08.html

The Horten brothers were historically flying wing gliders at this time, that's where Jack Northrup got the ideas for the YB-35 and YB-49.

The Focke Wulf Project 195 is another possibility, if I can figure out a need for such a plane. So is the Dornier Do-214, which has the advantage of not needing a specially built runway, but the same problem applies.

Saturday, May 16th 2009, 10:36am

Quoted

The Horten brothers were historically flying wing gliders at this time, that's where Jack Northrup got the ideas for the YB-35 and YB-49.

I'm pretty certain that Northrop's flying wings were developed entirely separately from the Horten ones. The problem with period flying wings is that you can either have an aircraft that is unstable, maneuverable and is going to kill you, or a stable aircraft that maneuvers like a train.

I'm sure the lack of need would kill all these large aircraft designs. There are some interesting smaller passenger aircraft though.

Saturday, May 16th 2009, 10:49am

Quoted

The problem with period flying wings is that you can either have an aircraft that is unstable, maneuverable and is going to kill you, or a stable aircraft that maneuvers like a train.

Sounds like the perfect plane for Manzo. :D

Saturday, May 16th 2009, 12:31pm

Quoted

Quoted

I'm pretty certain that Northrop's flying wings were developed entirely separately from the Horten ones. The problem with period flying wings is that you can either have an aircraft that is unstable, maneuverable and is going to kill you, or a stable aircraft that maneuvers like a train.

I'm sure the lack of need would kill all these large aircraft designs. There are some interesting smaller passenger aircraft though.

It's certainly possible, even likely, that Northrup came up with the idea separately, but the timing is such (with the Horten's flying their first flying-wing sailplane in 1933 and their first powered flying wing in 1937), that there's likely to be some connections (if only to say "it can be done!!!") between the two. The 1929 Northrup Flying Wing looks kind of like a cross between a P-38 and a N-1M, but the N-1M wouldn't fly until years after the Hortens flew their Ho-5 in 1937.

Oh, I agree, the need just isn't there in WW for most of these monster designs, there just isn't a reason to be moving that amount of payload huge distances. I was mostly playing around with PlaneBuilder to see what would happen.

Keep in mind, this design is not a pure flying wing, unlike a Horten or Northrop design, this is one of Lippisch's designs, so it's wing and fin, just no horizontal tail. Besides, for a transport, stable and manuevers like a train is fine.

Saturday, May 16th 2009, 1:44pm

There are some good German projects in [url=http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,656.0/highlight,piaggio+127.html]this[/url] thread.

Italy's desires for large, long range aircraft are motivated by two things; the distance to India; the desire to compete with airships operated by many other countries.

Saturday, May 16th 2009, 2:13pm

The EF-100 is VERY nice, it's true, and it may see Luft Hansa service here in WW. Germany figures the day of the airship is passing, so there won't be too many more built in Germany.