You are not logged in.

Thursday, May 7th 2009, 7:53am

That's an OOC note, as I understand it; and China's rhetoric is really only going to fool other SATSUMA members, in any case.

Thursday, May 7th 2009, 8:23am

My statement was also OOC, so there is no reason for anyone to be angry.

Thursday, May 7th 2009, 4:06pm

Quoted

Originally posted by thesmilingassassin
I wouldn't be so smug about a Chinese or Mexican victory either.....

If by themselves I agree that Iberia should beat their behinds. Easier to beat Mexico due to logistics (again, seems like my pet peeve of late :rolleyes: ) but defeating China would be possible by using their allies bases for supply.

Thursday, May 7th 2009, 4:20pm

IMHO, Iberia versus China alone would be a messy proposition for the Chinese, because they'd be attacking supremely well-fortified positions against one of the more modern world armies, and they'd be outmatched on a ton-for-ton basis at sea.

I further don't see of any reason why the Chinese should desire to fight over San Hainando, seeing as I recall the island was arranged as a European majority population since the 1600s, and has been since game start?

Thursday, May 7th 2009, 4:24pm

Thats what I thought too, but it sounds like the Israel of the far East.

Thursday, May 7th 2009, 4:34pm

There's no way that Hainan would have been majority European since the 1600s, that would require that almost all of the Iberian colonists that settled in the Americas in that period went to one island off the coast of China.

Anyway, for an answer to the question of why is China interested, all one has to do is look at how interested modern OTL China is in Tibet and Taiwan. It's VERY realistic for WW China to be interested in recovering lands that were historically part of China from European colonialists. The current population's desires don't make much difference to the mindset (just like the current Taiwanese or Tibetan population's desires don't).

Thursday, May 7th 2009, 4:38pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Hrolf Hakonson
There's no way that Hainan would have been majority European since the 1600s, that would require that almost all of the Iberian colonists that settled in the Americas in that period went to one island off the coast of China.

Hey, I'm just saying what I remember reading from the archives. It was in one of the threads about the Iberian-American War, if I recall, and the subject has come up a few more times since. I'm not going to say it makes sense, I'm saying that's what was apparently decided by the original players. I might be misremembering, of course.

Thursday, May 7th 2009, 4:49pm

OK, I take it back, there IS one way for Hainan to have been majority European since the mid-1600s: the original inhabitants would have had to have been exterminated. And, since there was contact (at some remove, but contact nonetheless) between Europe and China all through the period up to this time, it would have had to be deliberate, as opposed to the mostly inadvertent spreading of diseases that occurred in the New World. The Chinese populations wouldn't have been as vulnerable to diseases as the American inhabitants were, after all, diseases were trading back and forth from Asia to Europe already (see the black plague, for instance).

Thursday, May 7th 2009, 4:50pm

Found it: Rocky attempts to explain Hainan.

I stand corrected; the San Hainando natives think of themselves as being Iberian rather than necessarily being of European ethnicity.

Thursday, May 7th 2009, 6:45pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Brockpaine
Found it: Rocky attempts to explain Hainan.

I stand corrected; the San Hainando natives think of themselves as being Iberian rather than necessarily being of European ethnicity.

They don't THINK they are Iberian, THEY ARE IBERIAN.

San Hainando is part of the Federation, having voted to join at the formation of the Federation,
just as some countries didn't (Lord Arpad's history, before most of South America became player nations)

Friday, May 8th 2009, 6:09am

Why everyone thinks that China will attack Hainan Dao ? Surely there is a not inconsiderable proportion of the population, for whom is the Iberian presence at the gates of China a thorn in their eyes , BUT the emperor sees Hainan Dao as part of the Iberian Federation. China will not begin war of aggression. They will live in friendly coexistence with its neighbours.

Friday, May 8th 2009, 6:21am

Excellent. Then we'll have nothing to worry about! :)

Friday, May 8th 2009, 6:43am

Mwuhahahahaha!!!

Friday, May 8th 2009, 7:10am

Quoted

Originally posted by Brockpaine
Then we'll have nothing to worry about!

Except Mexico...

Friday, May 8th 2009, 10:02am

No doubt the Mexicans hoped that China would keep Iberia occupied in Asia, but now it is apparent that Iberia can concentrate a lot more of its forces in the Americas to teach their former subjects a lesson or two. :)

Saturday, March 27th 2010, 3:44am

Just bumping the thread up so I can examine the ships better without having to go through seven pages of threads. They are not in the encyclopedia (hint)

Monday, July 19th 2010, 8:03pm

Indeed, that would be nice...

Monday, July 19th 2010, 8:31pm

Indeed....