You are not logged in.

Friday, April 10th 2009, 5:22pm

I ordered two of each the Skoda S-III and Tatra SU-2 for evaluation, are those the tanks you were thinking of?

I would think that the Pz IV would have more impact on tank design that the Legionaire that was declared usuitable for combat operations by the Argentines

Friday, April 10th 2009, 5:26pm

Hasn't stopped people from buying them...

Kaiser Kirk

Lightbringer and former European Imperialist

Friday, April 10th 2009, 6:00pm

Quoted

Originally posted by thesmilingassassin
In wesworld the only things that are realisticaly designed are the ships, because they are designed to potentially fight other navy's.

Even so we have several spats over subsystems. Ahead throwing ASW weapons is one. The tech is there...the need hasn't been evidenced.

Quoted

I ordered two of each the Skoda S-III and Tatra SU-2 for evaluation, are those the tanks you were thinking of?

I would think that the Pz IV would have more impact on tank design that the Legionaire that was declared usuitable for combat operations by the Argentines

Probably. I remember now thinking I needed to look up that Tatra tank.

So far, my tank designs have been based on Dutch perceived needs and known ATG sizes. Close combat needs in torn up soft wet soils. This latest generation, despite being early, will make me roll to the T-35C version, which should be adequate- which generally is what I aim for, not world beating.

Sunday, April 12th 2009, 12:20pm

The Argentine Army never said the Legionaire wasn't unfit for combat, but that it was too large and heavy and unwieldy for rough ground operations. Somewhere like Europe with more metalled roads it might be a better proposition.

The Leopards might have short 75mm guns or 47mm guns so no-one can be sure what they will emerge with.

Sunday, April 12th 2009, 12:43pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Kaiser Kirk

Quoted

Originally posted by Hrolf Hakonson
Yep, I remember that. So what you're pointing out is that Germany might need those Tigers sooner rather than later if the Czechs decide to start producing these heavy tanks and tell Germany to go jump in a lake on this issue of the Sudetenland! :)

Possibly :) The arrangement included Skoda setting up a factory in Holland, which is where the actual production is, so they would have to tool up an old plant. However the -35C version is mostly the Holland subsidiary. It's been my way of growing a domestic skill base.

Don't forget that others are also pushing the Skoda design envelope. Pretty sure I saw somebody indicate they were having the Skoda SP-III developed further.

Look at it this way, historically Czech tanks formed something like 25% of the German armor that flattened France, now when you take over they will be more, bigger and more cutting edge!

<snark> Except that a) I don't want to take them over, and b) it looks like they won't give Dr. Jarres the excuse he needs to try to take them over (if the Czechs behave themselves, the DNVP's coalition government will fall before Germany would go to war over the Sudetenland).

Tuesday, April 14th 2009, 2:07pm

May 23, 1937 - Grafenwohr

A prototype conversion of an Sdkfz 263 command armored car to an assault gun was delivered for testing today. The vehicle, which mounts a 7.5cm howitzer in the armored superstructure of the vehicle where the radios and radio operators are found in the Sdkfz 263, is a response to the difficulties encountered by the 4th & 5th Recon Battalions in Lithuania in dealing with log bunkers with the 2cm cannon on their armored cars.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Hrolf Hakonson" (Apr 16th 2009, 2:32pm)

Tuesday, April 28th 2009, 5:52pm

May 29, 1939 - Manzell

First flight of the Dornier Do-217 V-5. This aircraft, powered by BMW-801s in place of the DB-601s of the previous prototypes and with other modifications to the airframe, is an attempt to cure the design's lack of sufficient power and inadequate control. By all accounts this flight was a success, though as has been too often the case there are reports that the engines suffered from some amount of overheating. If BMW can cure this problem, they may have an excellent engine for use in high-power applications. If they cannot, then a number of designs will have to be rethought as there are no other German engines in this class ready for use, and only the DB-603 is a potential replacement in the near term.

Thursday, May 14th 2009, 3:39pm

June 3, 1937 - Rostock

First flight of the He-100 V17, a prototype for the proposed He-100B series. The He-100B is a more heavily armed version of the He-100A, to be armed with 11mm MG-111s replacing the 7.92mm MG-17s in the nose decking and with a third 15mm MG-151 firing through the propeller hub. As production MG-111s are unavailable at this time, the MG-17s were retained on V17, with ballast simulating the extra weight of the larger weapon. Externally, the noticeable differences are the opening in the propeller hub for the engine-mounted MG-151 and a slightly redesigned cowling around the two nose-mounted machineguns.

June 5, 1937 - Berlin

A heated meeting reportedly took place yesterday at the RLM between Herr Goering and BMW representatives. The exact details have not been released, but a likely reason for such a meeting is the continuing cooling problems experienced by BMWs two-row radial engines, which are needed by several different military aircraft designs. It may be possible, in some cases, to substitute less powerful in-line engines such as the Jumo-211 or the DB-601, as with the He-177 V6, but this may not be possible in other cases or may impose other restrictions. Alternative engines in the 1700 hp class are not yet available, though DB is working away on the DB-603 which is in the right class, but it is not yet ready for mass production and service use. The more powerful DB-604 and Jumo-222 are not expected to be ready for at least 3 years.

Thursday, May 14th 2009, 4:19pm

There's also the DB 606 and DB 610 which are fairly easy substitutes with the BMW 801 and Ju 222.

Thursday, May 14th 2009, 5:03pm

WW Germany is, so far, avoiding the coupled engine route. Since the Bomber A program (He-177, Ju-90S) doesn't require divebombing, the DB-606 hasn't been developed for that project. Not to mention that none of the coupled engines will work at all as a replacement for the BMW-801 in the Fw-190, which is probably what Herr Goering is most interested in.

Thursday, May 14th 2009, 5:55pm

The Alfa-Romeo 135 should nicely substitute for the BMW 801. Its a bit shorter, 85kg lighter, produces a bit more power and is more reliable.

No He-119 for the DB 606?