You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Sunday, March 8th 2009, 2:35am

Iberian News Summary, January - March 1937

Iberian News Summary, January - March 1937

January
15th - Cotopaxi

It was the last day of testing in cold weather conditions, and Diego could not wait to get down off the mountain.
He was sick and tired of being cold, so much so that he almost wished that the volcano would erupt, just for a little warmth!
As he approached the HQ tent, he spotted Jesus hopping from one foot to the other in a vain attempt to keep himself warm.
"What kept you?" asked Jesus, blowing into his hands.
"The CO is waiting for us"
"I had a little trouble with the latrine" replied Diego, "'Someone' pilled snow against the door after I entered. I had to knock the roof off, and climb out!"
Jesus shook his head, "All I can say is thank God that we are finished up here. Those Danes are having too much fun, it's almost immoral!" he laughed

Earlier....
Sven and Tomas sat on a snowbank drinking coffee, watching the Iberian squadies pill snow against the latrine door.
"You know who he's going to blame, don't you?" asked Sven.
"Yup" replied Tomas, "But it's nice to see the Iberians learn new skills. Look, they are even tamping it down!"

February
3rd - El Arenosillo

Administration Buildings, El Arenosillo

ICE has concluded work on the newly formed Instituto Aeroespacial Ibérico headquarters facility at El Arenosillo.
Work continues on the associated testing facilities, with testing planned to start later this year,
and the launch facilities at Bahía de Guantánamo should be ready use by next year.

The Director of the new facilities, Prof. Pedro Francisco Duque, in an interview earlier this year in Heavenly Pursuits,
stated that he believed that these facilities would allow all the small groups and individual inventors,
designers and engineers to come together and share information, allowing new developements to be made.

21st - Armada Design Bureau, Cadiz

Lt. Roya was searching in vain through drawer after drawer of plans. He was starting to get frustrated, and muttered under his breath.
"I'm sorry Sir, I didn't catch that"
"What?" said Roya, lifting to see the Sailor that had asked the question.
"I beg your pardon Sir, but I couldn't clearly hear your question" replied the seaman.
"I was just talking to myself. Who are you anyway?" asked Roya.
"Able Seaman Garcia, Sir, filling clerk."
"Ahh, the very man. Last year, Vasquez designed a modified ferry, have you any idea as to where it may be?"
"Yes Sir. 3 bays over, section marked 'Transport', subsection 'Landing'."

Roya dove back into the stacks, finding the correct cabinet of drawers.
Flicking through the drawings, he found the one he had been searching for.
He took them to the file clerks desk, and signed them out.
He placed them in his briefcase, saluted and left the office.

As he left the building, the 2 Army officers that had been waiting for him extinguished their cigarettes as he decended the steps to meet them.
"Gentlemen" he said, indicating the briefcase, "I believe that these will solve your problems!".

March
23rd - Army Quartermaster Corp Headquarters, Madrid.

Diego and Jesus watched carefully as their men prepared the display of weapons for the Top Brass.
They had every weaponed cleaned and polished to parade ground standard,
and diplayed with the reports that they had helped prepare for the people who would make the decision as to which to buy for the Army.
Everything was ready, all they had to do now was wait.

"So, what do you think they'll go for? asked Jesus
"Well, if it were my decision, I'd go with Tapas and a beer!" quipped Diego.
"Oh Ha Ha, very funny, hilarious even" groaned Jesus, "you know what I mean, which ones will they pick?"
Diego turned to his friend and said, "Well, whatever they pick, you just have to know that they will not listen to us, don't you?"
"And why would you suspect that we would not listen to your opinions Sargeant?" boomed a voice from the door of the hall.

"Atten-SHUN" shouted Diego, snapping all the men in the room to attention.
General Manuel Goded Llopis strode into the room, followed by a group of civilians and officers.
Jesus silently prayed for the ground to open up and swallow him whole, while Diego wished he was back in Ecuador on that volcano.
Llopis marched around in front of the 2 sargeants, and eyed them up and down.
"So," he asked, "Which ones would you pick?"
"Sir?" the 2 sargeants asked simultaneously.
"I have had your officers, you and your men test all of these weapons in every enviroment the Federation has to offer,
so as to make sure that the bean counters don't force the same grade of rubbish
on you as I had to put up with during the American war!" he said in a calm voice that would chill your very soul.
"oh shit!" thought Diego, as he started to imagine the size of the cell he would spend the rest of his life in.
The General moved between the 2 men and turned to face the same way.
"Stand easy men. Your opinions are important, as you will be the men using them in the field. So, as I was saying, which ones would you pick?"

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "Commodore Green" (Mar 8th 2009, 2:38am)

Sunday, March 8th 2009, 3:07am

RE: Iberian News Summary, January - March 1937

Quoted

Originally posted by Commodore Green
...so as to make sure that the bean counters don't force the same grade of rubbish on you as I had to put up with during the American war!"

Actually, if I recall correctly, the Spanish had rifles far superior to American weapons. The US Army was so impressed (and chagrined) that they ripped off the Mauser design to catch up.

Sunday, March 8th 2009, 11:12am

The Instituto Aeroespacial Ibérico headquarters looks pretty neat with a swimming pool! Is that aerial camofluage or an idication how much work is going to get done there! :D

Mr Minnia now wants one at the rocket facility at Maquichao. Farnborough might dsiguise their water flumes as wind tunnels! ;)

Sunday, March 8th 2009, 11:36am

RE: Iberian News Summary, January - March 1937

Quoted

Originally posted by Brockpaine

Quoted

Originally posted by Commodore Green
...so as to make sure that the bean counters don't force the same grade of rubbish on you as I had to put up with during the American war!"

Actually, if I recall correctly, the Spanish had rifles far superior to American weapons. The US Army was so impressed (and chagrined) that they ripped off the Mauser design to catch up.

That was certainly true of the rifles, yes. I'm not familiar with what, if any, support weapons or artillery the Spanish were using, so the comment could refer to those.

Of course, in the WW history, that war had very little ground combat between Iberian and American troops, it appears. See here: http://wesworld.jk-clan.de/thread.php?threadid=2673&sid=.

Sunday, March 8th 2009, 1:48pm

The REAL Llopis was only just out of secondary school during the Spanish-American war, so I was working on the idea of him being in a sort of Home Guard, and as a result, having to use outdated weapons. He didn't join the Army until his family emigrated to Spain immediately after the S-A war.

Sunday, March 8th 2009, 1:48pm

Quoted

The Instituto Aeroespacial Ibérico headquarters looks pretty neat with a swimming pool! Is that aerial camofluage

Obviously its the launch platform for Thunderbird 1.

Sunday, March 8th 2009, 1:49pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Red Admiral

Quoted

The Instituto Aeroespacial Ibérico headquarters looks pretty neat with a swimming pool! Is that aerial camofluage

Obviously its the launch platform for Thunderbird 1.

Damn! Found out FAR too quickly.

Guess I'll just have to go looking for an island somewhere instead.......