You are not logged in.

Kaiser Kirk

Lightbringer and former European Imperialist

Monday, March 2nd 2009, 2:28am

Nice job Hood !

Quotes I like :
"It’s like a riddle with an enigma all wrapped up in puzzle."
aka he doesn't get it

“Let’s get that Jerry bastard in the hotel. I’d love to shoot him. I bet it was him who killed Anna.”

“Ah hello James, nice to see you again! It’s been a long time!”

“Don’t be a burke!"
Which I believe is a reference to Burke and Hare, the Irish graverobbing pair in Edinburgh ?

"He’s a German, a Prussian, an educated sort of swine. An artist is someone who can hold two opposing views and still function."

"being a spy is not all cocktails and microfilm!"

"in a flash Paul threw the contents of his glass into the secretary’s face, she squealed rubbing her eyes and she slipped off the desk onto the floor."
-that is not a good way to pick up the girl. Paul has a great deal to learn

Sunday, March 8th 2009, 11:26am

The really odd fact, which nobody here picked up on, is that the majority of the characters are real. All the people with codenames is bold capitals (BISCUIT, LITIGANT, ZULU, DOLEFUL etc) are real or notional double-agents run by MI6 in WW2. Their real names and occupations (or supposed occupations while they languish in British jails) are unchanged. Thus EL GITANO really was a hairdresser smuggler and pimp and BALLOON was in the arms trade. Contrary to the postwar myths of spies and agents most were nasty people, pimps and smugglers and murders while others were forced by blackmail. I hope my story has conveyed this image, there is no reason to suppose Wesworld doesn't have its webs of spying and skulduggery and its own dubious characters.

Oddly they fitted my story well and only the trio of intrepid agents, D'Silva, Kretzschmar and some minor roles are invented or products of Le Carre's murky spyworld.

Kaiser Kirk

Lightbringer and former European Imperialist

Monday, March 9th 2009, 3:08am

Well for my part I know very little about WWII spycraft, other than it occurred and the roles of breaking the various Codes, and how abysmal German security was. The various actors, not a clue.
Heck, I only know of William Burke from a Scottish folksinger who came through the area.

Quoted

I hope my story has conveyed this image, there is no reason to suppose Wesworld doesn't have its webs of spying and skulduggery and its own dubious characters.

Oh the story did, quite well at that. I expect Wesworld most certainly does. I figure my folks have several intelligence operations-
Royal- which is tied into financial and trade matters with many moles and few actives. Draws from mos of the others.
House of Orange- more intelligence sharing.
Dutch Govt & Mil.-traditional, widebased, tied to AEGIS, extra assets to counterinsurgency
Belgian Govt & Mil.- traditional, spies on neighbors.
Corporate webs- Phillips, Shell in particular, which also feed the Royal net.
There would also be the Snellensoon smuggling network, probably rebuilt by now.